Belkin surge protector worked, sort of.

Old June 24th 05, 12:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Real Ale

Default Belkin surge protector worked, sort of.

Well, we had a direct lightening strike on the house this morning, still
recovering. Luckily the AGA steel chimneys made a good conductor.
Wasn't expecting the phone or adsl to work and sure enough all
lines were dead.
Amazingly the Belkin had blown but had protected the phones and router
in doing so !
So they can be of use, w_tom , but I'll have to get another one, I'll
try claiming on their lifetime warranty.

Chris

Old June 24th 05, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 24/06/2005 Real Ale wrote:

I'll try claiming on their lifetime warranty.

They ought to be so pleased with its success that they deliver the
replacement by chauffeur :-)

--
Jeff Gaines
Damerham Hampshire UK
Old June 24th 05, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

Real Ale wrote:

Amazingly the Belkin had blown but had protected the phones and router
in doing so !

Why amazingly? That's what they're designed to do.

So they can be of use, w_tom , but I'll have to get another one, I'll
try claiming on their lifetime warranty.

If so, you might also be amazed. They sent me one almost by return of
post, and a newer model to boot.

--
The Caretaker .........
Old June 24th 05, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Real Ale

Amazingly the Belkin had blown but had protected the phones and router
in doing so !

Why amazingly? That's what they're designed to do.

Amazingly .. because so many recent threads like w_tom ' s
suggest that they don't work and were a waste of money ..
I nearly didn't buy one because of the advice.

Mind you I didn't realise they had to be replaced every time
they stopped a surge, just as well they have a lifetime warranty.

Chris

Old June 25th 05, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
w_tom

How to promote an ineffective protector. Grossly undersize
it so that a transient too small to overwhelm protection
already inside that router will destroy the protector. Then
then naive will assume, "the protector sacrificed itself to
protector the router". A properly sized protector is not
damaged by the transient. If the transient was so large as to
damage a properly sized protector, then the adjacent router
would also have been damaged.

Protectors are so profitable that they can provide more for
free and still have profits. But it is the warranty claim of
replacing damaged electronics that is bogus.

You have describes a transient on modem that was too small
to overwhelm the modem. Do no assume the transient occured
equally everywhere. It is quite normal for a directd
lightning strike to damage the VCR and not damage the adjacent
TV. Adjacent appliances saw different transients - for
reasons electrical.

Most damning, the protector was damaged by a transient.
That means it was undersized - and therefore ineffective.
Good thing protection designed inside the router was
sufficient. Meanwhile, a properly sized protector earthed the
direct lightning strike - and remains functional.

Old June 26th 05, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Molesworth

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:07:28 +0100, "Real Ale"
wrote:

Amazingly .. because so many recent threads like w_tom ' s
suggest that they don't work and were a waste of money ..
I nearly didn't buy one because of the advice.

Oh FFS, don't wake up the trolls.