Anyone had their Line Problems escalated to BT?

Old June 24th 05, 03:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dee

Default Anyone had their Line Problems escalated to BT?

We're getting something like 18db Downstream SNR at the Master Socket
with the entire home phoneline system disconnected, no filters, no
phone, etc just an ADSL modem - tested it now on 3 different modems and
all give at best 15db to 21db at the master socket with 18db seeming to
be the norm.

by the time we add in the phone system and put the ADSL modem in my
bedroom the signal is pretty poor and dips under 6db before
disconnecting, so plusnet have escalated the problem to BT and says it
may take upto 21 days to be sorted out

Anyone know what is likely to happen next? I'm going away for 8 days and
the family at home have to live with going downstairs to the master
socket to answer calls now for that time.
Old June 24th 05, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 24 Jun 2005 14:50, Dee wrote:

I'm going away for 8 days and the family at home have to live with
going downstairs to the master socket to answer calls ...

Buy a DECT phone off Ebay for perhaps 20 quid (one with a couple of
handsets) so as to save their legs and reduce their tempers! Peter
Old June 24th 05, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:50:26 +0100, Dee
wrote:

Anyone know what is likely to happen next? I'm going away for 8 days and
the family at home have to live with going downstairs to the master
socket to answer calls now for that time.

if the BT engineer gets a good signal in the test socket but a crap
one with your wiring reconnected he should install a faceplate filter
unless there's a more obvious fix.

you can simulate a faceplate filter yourself - plug a microfilter into
the test socket behind the NTE5
as shown at http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm#part3

plug your modem RJ11 into that, then plug the current faceplate front
into the BT socket on the microfilter. Might be a bit of a tight fit
in which case use a short extension loop.

This gives you an unfiltered modem feed and everything else the other
side of the filter. Should fix it.

Phil

Old June 24th 05, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Peter M wrote:
On 24 Jun 2005 14:50, Dee wrote:

I'm going away for 8 days and the family at home have to live with
going downstairs to the master socket to answer calls ...

Buy a DECT phone off Ebay for perhaps 20 quid (one with a couple of
handsets) so as to save their legs and reduce their tempers! Peter

If you've got a house of modern construction, with no foil backed
plasterboard.
I get a very, very spotty signal in my bedroom from the DECT basestation
5m away in the lounge, through 1 60cm stone wall.

Old June 24th 05, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Dee wrote:
We're getting something like 18db Downstream SNR at the Master Socket
with the entire home phoneline system disconnected, no filters, no
phone, etc just an ADSL modem - tested it now on 3 different modems
and all give at best 15db to 21db at the master socket with 18db
seeming to be the norm.

by the time we add in the phone system and put the ADSL modem in my
bedroom the signal is pretty poor and dips under 6db before
disconnecting, so plusnet have escalated the problem to BT and says it
may take upto 21 days to be sorted out

Anyone know what is likely to happen next? I'm going away for 8 days
and the family at home have to live with going downstairs to the
master socket to answer calls now for that time.

Not a lot unless you want to pay to have _your_ internal wiring checked & if
you want it changed you'll have to pay again. BT's responsibility stops at
the NTE5 master socket, everything after that is all your responsibility.

All you can hope for is the BT engineer is in a good mood & looks outside
for way to increase your signal (& in doing so improve your SNR), if not
they'll test at your NTE say everything is ok & leave..

Old June 24th 05, 11:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

wrote:

Anyone know what is likely to happen next? I'm going away for 8 days
and the family at home have to live with going downstairs to the
master socket to answer calls now for that time.

if the BT engineer gets a good signal in the test socket but a crap
one with your wiring reconnected he should install a faceplate filter
unless there's a more obvious fix.

No he doesn't, not any more, & fitting the SSFP at the master socket ties
the DSL service to the same place anyway

Old June 24th 05, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:09:53 +0100, "kraftee" [email protected]&die
wrote:

not any more

what, given up fitting SSFPs if the modem will sync in the test socket
but not on the front ? What's the new regime ?

& fitting the SSFP at the master socket ties
the DSL service to the same place anyway

no big deal in this case, the OP currently has the modem *and* the
phone tied to the master socket

Phil

Old June 25th 05, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

wrote:

not any more

what, given up fitting SSFPs if the modem will sync in the test socket
but not on the front ? What's the new regime ?

& fitting the SSFP at the master socket ties
the DSL service to the same place anyway

no big deal in this case, the OP currently has the modem *and* the
phone tied to the master socket

Phil

Yes but he wants it to be in his bedroom (check the original post).

Old June 25th 05, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 10:10:58 +0100, "kraftee" [email protected]&die
wrote:

Yes but he wants it to be in his bedroom (check the original post).

that can be inferred, true.

So if the signal is OK in the test socket but not the front plate of
the master you walk away now, unless the customer wants to pay for a
rewire ?

Phil

Old June 26th 05, 02:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dee

Just to clarify the signal at the master socket with nothing else
plugged in (no line filters, telephones or other internal wiring) is
18db - plusnet say that BT's remote testing says I should be having
around 49db at the master socket

Internal wiring has been check by my Father who was a telecoms engineer
for over 27 years, now retired.

As far as we are aware 18db at the master socket which can drop to as
low as 12db and probabaly lower when we're not watching is too low.

would be nice if there was a program to plot a graph of the SNR download
Db figure over time to see how it varies during the day and over a week.