ADSL modem that supports 'loopback'

Old June 24th 05, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Henson

Default ADSL modem that supports 'loopback'

Hi

I am new to this group so I hope you don't mind me jumping straight in with
a question. My ADSL modem blew up yesterday (probably something to do with
the heat). I bought a new one this morning and got it set up on both my PCs.
The modem is a Zoom X5.

However, there is one problem that, according to the company's technical
support cannot be overcome, so I have to get a new modem.

I run email marketing software on my PC to send out permission-based emails
for my clients. In the process of testing an email campaign I send the
emails to myself so that I can test the links in the email. The links in the
emails go back to my PC via port 81 which I have opened on the modem. But
when I now click on the links I get 'Page cannot be displayed'. Recipients
outside my network are still able to click on a link without any problems.

I am told by Zoom's tech support that the reason I cannot link through is
that the modem does not support local loopback and that there is no way
round this.

So I need to urgently get hold of a modem that does support this. I have
done a search but to no avail so I am hoping that someone here might be able
to help or give me some advice.

Thanks in advance,
Dave Henson.

Old June 24th 05, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linker3000

Dave Henson wrote:

[...]

A bit pricey but the Draytek 2600 series routers do this OK. I'm sure
someone can suggest something cheaper though.
Old June 25th 05, 02:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

"Dave Henson" wrote in message
: Hi
:
: I am new to this group so I hope you don't mind me jumping straight in
with
: a question. My ADSL modem blew up yesterday (probably something to do with
: the heat). I bought a new one this morning and got it set up on both my
PCs.
: The modem is a Zoom X5.
:
:

I have the same problem with d-link how I over come this is to edit the
hosts file.

in windows it looks abit like this

127.0.0.1 localhost

You want to add the line

127.0.0.1 localhost
000.000.000.000 your.site.com

Where 000.000.000.000 is your server IP

Hope this helps and I found it to be a lot cheaper!

Chris

kick-butt.co.uk

Old June 25th 05, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nick

[...]

A spammer asking for advice. heh. goto hell asshole.

Old June 27th 05, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Henson

"nick" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you for such a measured response. Maybe you chose to ignore the phrase
'permission-based' in my post. The email marketing campaigns I run are for
clients whose email lists are all opt-in or subscriber-based. These clients
include a top PR company and a UK government department.

BTW thanks to the other posters for your responses. If my brain hadn't been
so fuzzed on Friday I'd have probably realised that it would make sense to
replace my existing Draytek 2600 with the same or similar model rather than
trying to go for something cheaper.