Tesco broadband -- puzzling ADSL availability.

Old June 25th 05, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G. Bell

Default Tesco broadband -- puzzling ADSL availability.

According to the Tesco Broadband signup system (at www.tesco.com), ADSL
isn't available at this phone/location.

According to BT's checker, accessed from www.adslguide.org.uk, Broadband
_is_ available from this line.

Tesco, when contacted, gave me a confused explanation involving
Datastream, IPStream, and BT Wholesale doing something rather dodgy
about providing different ADSL signals. But I'm not sure that I was
speaking with anybody who had any real knowledge.

I do know that they don't have LLU here. My understanding is that
Datastream and IPStream differ in how the traffic passes from the
exchange to the ISP, not in the exchange-customer link.

The local exchange, Barnetby, is some sort of subsidiary of Brigg,
though it's a nice big building. So does Datastream not get to as many
locations as IPStream?

(I know, why Tesco?)

"I am Number Two," said Penfold. "You are Number Six."
Old June 25th 05, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 25 Jun 2005 11:48 BST, "David G. Bell" wrote:

Tesco, when contacted, gave me a confused explanation involving
Datastream, IPStream, and BT Wholesale

As you'll see from Phil's post, Tesco.net is run by NTL for Tesco.

There are lots of ISPs which offer services based on IPStream, so you have
a lot of other choices. If you use Google to check this newsgroup's past
posts, you'll see that ADSL from Tesco.net, when introduced, went far from
smoothly in terms of delays before people who had signed up were given
activation dates (4-6 weeks was on one, from my [poor] memory of Sept/Oct
but I'm not checking back to find the complaints!!) Peter M.

USENET news service? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)