Best ADSL Deal inc phone line

Old June 25th 05, 04:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Basil Fawlty

Default Best ADSL Deal inc phone line

Hi,

Friend of mine has no internet access. He's no connected phone line either.
There is a physical line into the house, presumably a BT line.
He obviously has no use for a phone line for voice calls, so they don't
matter. He wants broadband/ADSL.

Which is the best way to arrange this? Best way I see is getting the phone
line reconnected, paying the cheapest BT line rental possible
and then paying £15 /month for the ADSL from whoever...

Or are there other options?

Thanks
BF

Old June 25th 05, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 25 Jun 2005 15:23 GMT, "Basil Fawlty" wrote:

Which is the best way to arrange this? Best way I see is getting the phone
line reconnected, paying the cheapest BT line rental possible
and then paying £15 /month for the ADSL from whoever...

Or are there other options?

There may be, depending on where he lives. UK Online is offering ADSL at
9.99/month if they have equipment at the exchange. Also, depending on how
much or little he'll use it, ADSL might be supplied by Metronet, etc, on a
PAYG basis. Difficult to say what's "best" until one knows more about what
is wanted... lowest cost ? low pings ? fixed or dynamic IP ? multiple IP
addresses ? no traffic limits ? About as long as a piece of string LOL...

USENET news service? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
Old June 25th 05, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dicki Dido

I suggest you just get the line re-connected and then pay BT for line
rental,which the cheapest is £10.50.Then sort out the Broadband supplier

I have been with Plusnet for eighteen months price has gone down -always
one of the cheapest,and there is no limit to downloads.I used to be with
Freeserve but left owing to poor service.Plusnet have excellent customer
relations,having rung them twice and the call was answered within a couple
of minutes,and problem was sorted virtually straight away.No problems
with disconnections and dropping lines,very reliable and extremely helpful

The Which report stated the following and I quote"The Plusnet package is a
BestBuy with a good download speed which have been really consistent over
the last quarter.Plusnet stood out in our satisfaction survey, performing
well in almost all areas, from ease of use to connection speed and customer
and technical support.""

If you choose to sign up with Plusnet,please use my ID- beechville96 as a
referrer and save me a few pence

Thanks, Keith

Old June 26th 05, 02:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Basil Fawlty:
paying the cheapest BT line rental possible

NO can do. To get ADSL via BT line you have to pay the Full Mon(thl)y line
rental.
Cable companies do (reluctantly) allow ADSL connection only.

Or are there other options?

Yes. Your friend needs to find a consenting close neighbour, share his/hers
broadband via WiFi, share the cost, give BT the bird, and laugh all the
way past the BT exchange to the bank.
Regards,
Martin (via WiFi of course)

Old June 26th 05, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 21:13:20 +0100, "Dicki Dido" [email protected]
wrote:

If you choose to sign up with Plusnet,please use my ID- bothchville69 as a
referrer and save me a few pence

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/compare.asp?bt=ON&demon=ON&metronet=ON&plusnet=ON& freeserve=ON&zen=ON&cmp_action=Compare
is a user response tool from ADSLguide

more reliable that the ******* at Which I would think.