Tiscali not competitive anymore

Old June 25th 05, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven

Default Tiscali not competitive anymore

How come Tiscali is not offering a 1MB unlimited package without putting a
useless 2GB cap on it?

If Plusnet and F9 can offer upto 2MB unlimited, why can't Tiscali be
competitive and offer a similar product?

I would be quite happy with Tiscali, but they seem to be lagging terribly in
the speed wars, and many other ISP's are offering far better deals for the
money.

They even offered their exsiting '512K unlimited' customers a 1MB package,
and it turned out to be capped.

Old June 26th 05, 12:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Morrisson

"Steven" wrote in message

How come Tiscali is not offering a 1MB unlimited package without putting a
useless 2GB cap on it?

If Plusnet and F9 can offer upto 2MB unlimited, why can't Tiscali be
competitive and offer a similar product?

I would be quite happy with Tiscali, but they seem to be lagging terribly
in the speed wars, and many other ISP's are offering far better deals for
the money.

They even offered their exsiting '512K unlimited' customers a 1MB package,
and it turned out to be capped.

Tiscali took me offline for well over a week in January, and they claimed
they had no idea why I lost my service. The break in service was actually
to upgrade my exchange (it so happens, they seemed to have no idea it was
being done!). In March they wrote to me to telling of a free 1MB upgrade,
which took place, but as you say, it was capped (never said anything in the
letter about a cap, I don't want a capped service) So I changed my package
back to 512K again. I suspect they just don't have the capacity to offer 1MB
like Plusnet etc as you mention. We are now left with a second rate slow
service compared to many other ISPs service.

Steve

Old June 26th 05, 12:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"Steven Morrisson" wrote in message

"Steven" wrote in message

[...]

Im in the same situation here. tiscali upgraded the line to 1megabit earlier
in the year, and it now syncs at that speed, but tiscali throttle it back to
512. So I have gained nothing.
their service is now a bum deal in the current broadband marketplace. What
was the point of upgrading the line, when they can't offer a suitable
service to go with it?. My service is throttled back to 512, even though
the line syncs at 1megabit. I really can't see the point. I would be happy
with tiscali and would probably stay with them for the foreseeable furture
if they just brought us up to speed like everyone else is doing, but I am
not happy with 512, when my line is syncing at 1megabit, but they don't have
any decent packages to move to anymore, so I think its time to look
elsewhere. Plusnet/F9/Charity Days seems to be the best option to move to
at the moment, if tiscali continue in the downward spiral that they are in
at the moment. Oh I had the promise letter as well, saying they were
upgrading my speed, but I didn't let them upgrade me as soon as I read that
the service was capped as I don't want to be constantly watching the amount
of use I make of the service. I probably don't go anywhere near the cap on
most months, but I don't want the concern of a capped service. There are
five people in our household, all of whom use the internet, so I can't be
constantly watching the useage just to keep tiscali happy. Its all silly
and petty.

Tiscali. all I want is a 1megabit service, that I don't have to keep track
of useage on. I'm not a heavy user, but don't want the worry of a cap. Is
that really too much to ask from you internet company? Why don't you follow
the leaders and bring the service up-to-date?

Tony

Old June 26th 05, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 26 Jun 2005 15:50 BST, "David G. Bell" wrote:

I'm still on dial-up, and it looks pretty decent to me.

I usually ignore the ADSLguide 'Top 10' for speed as the speeds of the top 10
are usually all within 2-3% of the leader each month, but comparing some ISPs
http://makeashorterlink.com/?T16E2345B http://makeashorterlink.com/?U27E1245B
will show you just how Tiscali matched up with a range of popular competitors
(and either Tiscali users are exceptionally demanding, or they get a sluggish
service, compared with BT, Demon, Eclipse, Pipex, Plus.Net, Wanadoo, or Zen).

USENET news service? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
Old June 26th 05, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

""David G. Bell"" wrote in message
. ..
On Sunday, in article
"Tony" wrote:

Im in the same situation here. tiscali upgraded the line to 1megabit
earlier
in the year, and it now syncs at that speed, but tiscali throttle it back
512. So I have gained nothing.
their service is now a bum deal in the current broadband marketplace.
What
was the point of upgrading the line, when they can't offer a suitable
service to go with it?. My service is throttled back to 512, even though
the line syncs at 1megabit. I really can't see the point.

[Remainder Snipped]

512k with a 30GB cap looks very competitive with dial-up services. And
they do a deal combining it with the Smart Talk telephone service.

Their 1M with 2GB cap does at least allow you to exceed the limit, for a
fee. Again, it could be aimed at dial-up users.

People already with broadband could be seen as a different market. I'm
still on dial-up, and it looks pretty decent to me.

"I am Number Two," said Penfold. "You are Number Six."

I suppose a good deal all depends on your current situation right now. Any
broadband package would be an improvement if you are on a dial-up!
Regardless of the speed.

With all due respect, you are obviosly not speaking as an 'existing
customer' who has the opinion that they have been mis-led by being moved
over to a new package by this company, only to discover that the package has
a 'useage cap' when the original package was unlimited. It's hardly an
upgrade IMO, when you are looking forward to getting a faster connection and
then suddenly you are capped without any warning. I understand some people
have even got a letter telling them they had exceeded the cap and were in
danger of being disconnected from the service (according to other recent
posts in this newsgroup, that is).

As far as I know, Tiscali wrote to all their existing '512k unlimited'
customers (in March this year) telling them that they were upgrading their
existing 512k unlimited customers to 1MB at no extra cost over and above the
normal 512k package price, but never mentioned it was a capped service that
they were moving them to. This was misleading in my opinion and I don't
think they were being up-front about the change of conditions in the new
package (There was nothing whatsoever in the letter that even suggested the
so-called upgrade would be capped, neither was there a link to any new terms
and conditions for the new package), so naturally one would assume that they
were just increasing the speed and nothing more!. WRONG! As far as I can
see, they have now withdrawn the 1MB 30GB capped service from their package
options altogether, so the only 1MB options available now to existing 512k
unlimited customers are 1MB (2GB cap) or (1MB 15GB cap). Neither of these
packages are a match for the existing 512k package on a 'useage limit'
basis, so these options are a downgrade for 512k customers. Add to this the
fact that any speed increase would considerably shorten the time taken to
reach the cap limit, I think personally they are giving their existing
customers a bad deal, by not offering them the option to have a decent 1MB
service even though some users were inconvenienced by losing their service
during exchange upgrades earlier in the year to make way for the 1MB line
speed increase.

Their package options seem to be worsening by the week, and most other
companies are making their deals better, so why are tiscali failing to offer
better deals for their customers too?. If they didn't intend offering a
decent 1MB package on the terms of the original sign-up (512k unlimited),
they should never have written to the customers, promising such a package.
I am personally not a heavy user of the internet, but having an unlimited
package is 'peace of mind', especially when you have several people in the
household all using the internet at different times of the day.

By all means Tiscali, you could follow suit with other ISP's by throttling
back the heavy users at peak periods, and make P2P a lower priority than
normal browsers and email'ers, but why tar everyone with the same brush?
Some of us would just like a service that is not capped and one that we can
use without worry of exceeding a monthly useage limit. Is that really too
much to ask of an ISP, especially when those were the terms of which we
signed up in the first place.

That was why I originally chose an 'unlimited package' with Tiscali and
thats why I expect to stay on an unlimited package (especially when there is
plenty of companies out there offering this option). I would like a speed
increase to bring me into line with what many other ISPs are offering
nowadays and to make use of the maximum speed my exchange will give me (1MB)
especially now my modem is sync'ing at 1MB as well. It would be nice to see
them deliver on the a 1MB package (in an unlimited form) as the letter
suggested they were going to give us in March 2005.

Old June 26th 05, 11:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

"Steven" wrote in message
:
: How come Tiscali is not offering a 1MB unlimited package without putting a
: useless 2GB cap on it?
:
: If Plusnet and F9 can offer upto 2MB unlimited, why can't Tiscali be
: competitive and offer a similar product?
:
: I would be quite happy with Tiscali, but they seem to be lagging terribly
in
: the speed wars, and many other ISP's are offering far better deals for the
: money.
:
: They even offered their exsiting '512K unlimited' customers a 1MB package,
: and it turned out to be capped.
:

What I think would be good if you could roll-over 1gb/30gb ect .So if you
only use Xgb one month the remainder is add to next months and so on. As
with what happen with cellphone,and if you are anything like me have more
than you can use.Then saying that some months to little.

Cheers
Chris
kick-butt.co.uk

Old June 27th 05, 08:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G. Bell

"Tony" wrote:

[...]

And in your shoes I'd be pretty livid too, probably talking with Trading
Standards to see if the imperfect communication of the changes put
Tiscali in breach of contract. Probably not; most big companies employ
lawyers and similar unscrupulous low-lifes who will tell them what they
may do, but not what they should do.

But "competitive" is about selling services to new customers. And,
believe me, I've seen worse.

"I am Number Two," said Penfold. "You are Number Six."