Wanadoo keeps disconnecting for no reason ??

Old June 26th 05, 11:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
andy

Default Wanadoo keeps disconnecting for no reason ??

Hello.

I have had this problem for about 6 months now. What seems to be happening
is that my connection will stay alive but then will suddenly disconnect for
some reason. It can sometimes disconnect 3 or 4 times in 10 minutes,
sometimes it will stay alive for hours !.

I cannot pinpoint the problem, i don't think it's too many phones on the
line or anything like that because on my second Hard Drive it seems to work
ok.

It seems (it's only a hunch at the moment !) that when i try to pull in more
than a couple of files (or try to open up too many web pages at the same
time) i am losing the connection. I.e. it usually stays connected if only
doing light internet work. However, i'm not totally sure of this, it does
sometimes disconnect when doing nothing on the net. I have not got the
options for 'Disconnect if idle' so it's not that.

i was just wondering if anyone out there might have had the same problem and
what steps they took to solve it. Software confliction ?? bad line ?? etc
etc

Im using WinXP pro, Athlon 2200+ and the Alcatel Speed Touch USB modem File
version201.2.0.0. I have tried upgrading to the latest drivers, but no joy
!!.

I recently did a complete system re-format as system crashed, and the
internet connection seemed fine and i thought this was solved, but a couple
of weeks after, the same symptoms re-appeared, making me think it may be
software related ?????

Help !!

Cheers
Andy

Old June 27th 05, 12:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 26 Jun 2005 23:09, "andy" wrote:

... and the Alcatel Speed Touch USB modem ...

If you already have a network card, then borrow or beg someone to let you use
an ADSL modem/router to try it out... I had similar problems in the first 3
months (around 3 years ago now) before getting a router... it was 90 +VAT
well spent, I must say. Prices are below a third of that for many wired
combined modem/router units, and you will kick yourself you didn't do it 5
months ago, I suspect. But borrow first and compare for a few days. Peter.
Old June 27th 05, 12:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Im using WinXP pro, Athlon 2200+ and the Alcatel Speed Touch USB modem File
version201.2.0.0. I have tried upgrading to the latest drivers, but no joy

Chipset on the mobo ?

VIA chipsets have a problem with some USB modems, and the Speedtouch in
particular due to the power they draw - the USB ports power themselves
down for safety.

Do you have to reboot to get the modem to reconnect ? - if not, this is
likely *not* the problem.

Old June 27th 05, 05:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
andy

Didn't have to reboot, I can just connect again about 15 seconds later. I am
not too sure how to check what chipset it is, i think it's VIA. how do i
tell (and i'll report it back here ??)

Cheers
Andy

t...

Old June 27th 05, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Didn't have to reboot, I can just connect again about 15 seconds later. I am
not too sure how to check what chipset it is, i think it's VIA. how do i
tell (and i'll report it back here ??)

I don`t think its your specific problem, but something like Belarc
Advisor (free, google for it) would probably tell you what you`ve got in
there.

Old August 7th 05, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
susie4964

I've had the same problem with Wanadoo, with the Speed Touch modem o
USB, and then particularly when I switched to an ethernet wireles
connection (we run several laptops in the house and I wanted
stand-alone internet connection). Technical support were less tha
helpful as usual (why do I bother?), and I'm still not sure what th
problem is, although someone has suggested that perhaps I'm on the edg
of the particular server area, and that's why the connection i
sporadic. The line is fine, and reinstalling the software (Wanadoo'
answer for everything) had no effect.

Regarding the ethernet modem set-up, when I asked Wanadoo for th
protocol, they said PPPoA, but my research has suggested that whe
using ethernet, one should set the modem for PPPoE, as PPPoA is reall
a protocol for dial-up connections. I've just done that today, and I'
keeping my fingers crossed that this might help

--
susie4964
Old August 7th 05, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 7 Aug 2005 18:28, susie4964 wrote:

Regarding the ethernet modem set-up, when I asked Wanadoo for the
protocol, they said PPPoA, but my research has suggested that when
using ethernet, one should set the modem for PPPoE, as PPPoA is really
a protocol for dial-up connections. I've just done that today, and I'm
keeping my fingers crossed that this might help.

Although BT had previously not supported PPPoE, and might do so now, I'd
expect PPPoA to be the required setting. The "A" in PPPoA is for ATM, a
type of data transfer system, in this case between the home/business and
the telephone exchange. You'll see both PPPoA and PPPoE connected with
ADSL on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to-Point_Protocol Peter

Old August 8th 05, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 18:28:07 +0100, susie4964
wrote:

Regarding the ethernet modem set-up, when I asked Wanadoo for the
protocol, they said PPPoA, but my research has suggested that when
using ethernet, one should set the

PPPoA is the correct one for BT's ADSL implementation. PPPoE is
supported by some ISPs (AOL use it) .

PPPoE is less efficient than PPPoA because it is PPPoEoA as the aTM
network carries the ethernet frames. Using PPPoE adds an 8 byte
overhead per packet which you don't need to have.

Line quality issues - need stats to know see
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm

Phil

Old August 8th 05, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Weston

Line quality issues - need stats to know see
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm

Phil

What is the significance of the figures for :

Receive attenuation
Receive Margin
Send attenuation
Send margin ?

Thanks
James

Old August 8th 05, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Big Boy UK :-\)

"susie4964" wrote in

perhaps you should consider a more reliable and consistent broadband isp
such as ntl