Bulldog vs Easynet/UK Online

Old June 26th 05, 11:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mad Marty

Default Bulldog vs Easynet/UK Online

Hi all,

Lucky me - I'm about to move into a house served by both of the big LLU
providers! I like the idea of a nice fast connection, with high
limits, so I'm thinking of going with one or the other. ntl is also
available but nope. Never again. I don't suppose that anyone has had
any direct experience with each, but does anyone recommend one?

UK Online is the most tempting currently, since Bulldog make you switch
to their phone package too. I want the flexibility of BT (aka 1899 and
the like), as well as the possibility if it does all go tits up to
easily move. Do both provide an modem with an Ethernet connection?

Anyone got any thoughts?

Also, lay down your referral codes if you have any... *watches as
thread descends into a madhouse*

Thanks a lot!

Martin

Old June 27th 05, 12:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 26 Jun 2005 15:31 -0700, "Mad Marty" wrote:

*watches as thread descends into a madhouse*

.... in which case, you should invite responses by e-mail... and just
make a single additional post to comment that you've now had a reply.

USENET news service? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
Old June 28th 05, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete.

I'm with UK Online 8meg package. Bloody good, don't get quite an 8 meg
connection, but I am about 2 miles from the exchange, and the router is
plugged into an extension in the house, but I still connect at 7meg. Get
sustained download rates of about 500-600 KB/s from reliable servers.
Never had any serious problems, occasional drop-outs, but it's usually
sorted pretty quick.

If you do sign up, my user name is , use that and we
both get a free month

Pete.

ups.com...

Old June 28th 05, 02:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mad Marty

Pete. wrote:
I'm with UK Online 8meg package. Bloody good, don't get quite an 8 meg
connection, but I am about 2 miles from the exchange, and the router is
plugged into an extension in the house, but I still connect at 7meg. Get
sustained download rates of about 500-600 KB/s from reliable servers.
Never had any serious problems, occasional drop-outs, but it's usually
sorted pretty quick.

If you do sign up, my user name is , use that and we
both get a free month

Pete.

Thanks Pete - that sounds a good endorsement. I have just noticed
however that not only do they have a 50 connection charge, but also
charge for your ADSL hardware. Bulldog charge 1 connection and give
12 off a month for 6 months, but still charge for the modem. Is this
normal? Bulldog is much cheaper over the first six months... Aren't
their any free connection offers? The trouble is that I can charge the
monthly fee on expenses - but not the connection... :| I might go with
them any way... *Googles for an offer or two*

Martin

Old July 4th 05, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mad Marty

Looking at your comment on NTL, I wouldnt recommend BD because they
are no different IMHO.

snips a sorry tale

I have noticed quite a few bad comments about Bulldog on this very
group. I was hoping that it was down to non-LLU issues, but obviously
not.

My current thought is for Freedom2Surf. I noticed that they are
reselling EasyNet/UK Online's connection, and they seemingly have a
good reputation. Crunch day comes on Wednesday when the phone line is
hopefully hooked up.

Thanks for your detailed warning post - I don't want to go down that
road again.

Martin