Warning - Netgear WG311T drivers (PCI wireless card)

Old June 27th 05, 11:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

Default Warning - Netgear WG311T drivers (PCI wireless card)

Here's something I discovered by bitter experience, which I'll pass on to
avoid anyone else being frustrated:

The Netgear WG311T PCI wireless card fails to be detected by Plug and Play
if you use the latest non-beta drivers from the web - Software Version 3.2.
Having installed these drivers, when you plug the card in and boot up again,
P&P detects it as "Ethernet Card" rather than "Netgear WG311T" which means
that the drivers do not get associated with the card. The drivers that I've
downloaded are definitely for the WG311T rather than the WG311 (spot the
far-too-subtle difference!).

Instead you need to use the drivers on the CD that come with the card. As a
matter of course when installing hardware, I have tended to download the
latest drivers in preference to using the older ones on the CD. I'll rethink
that policy...

I've raised it as a support thread on Netgear's site and several other
people have responded to say that they are getting exactly the same
symptoms. The URL is http://forum1.netgear.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=7671.
One response on the thread seems to imply that there might be two different
versions of WG311T card in circulation, even though Netgear's web site
doesn't mention this on their driver-download page.