Looking for ADSL router with DHCP spoof or similar "relay" feature

Old June 27th 05, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T.

Default Looking for ADSL router with DHCP spoof or similar "relay" feature

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a router to deploy in about 40 sites with ADSL
broadband. The router/firewall/VPN thing to be used is a standalone unit
that has no built-in ADSL support.

What I'm after is something that can simply terminate the ADSL
connection, connect to the VPN-firewall device over ethernet and nothing
else.

The ISP will be Zen Internet with 8 IP block, so I could use routing on
the ADSL router, but I'm hoping to cut that out as point of
(configuration) faliure - makes support easier.

I remember ages ago people were using some DHCP spoof method, where the
host machine directly sees the real IP address. (Speedtouch Pro?).

Is there anything else similar? For exmaple, the VPN-firewall device
does support PPTP and PPPoE type conncetions on its WAN port, so maybe
there's an ADSL router available which can use this to achieve similar
thing (real IP address at the hosts interface) while also being really
simpe to configure.

Cost is an issue. The cheapest tihng on ebuyer is about 20, but from
what I can see, would only with it routing and not "relaying".

Please advise.
All feedback appricated.

Regards, T.
Old June 27th 05, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:52:57 +0100, "T."
wrote:

I'm trying to find a router to deploy in about 40 sites with ADSL
broadband. The router/firewall/VPN thing to be used is a standalone unit
that has no built-in ADSL support.

What I'm after is something that can simply terminate the ADSL
connection, connect to the VPN-firewall device over ethernet and nothing
else.

may help if you say what the "thing" is as interoperability may be an
issue. http://www.adslnation.com/products/xmodem.php tells you what
they have tested the X-modem with.

Ethernet modems that may do what you want include the ADSLnation
X-modem, the Westell 6000, DLink DSL300T.
Reviews at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/reviews/

some routers like the Zoom X3 have a "half bridge" mode that may be
relevant.

Remember we use PPPoA in the UK generally, BT do support PPPoE but not
sure if Zen do though.

Phil

Old June 27th 05, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T.

wrote:

I'm trying to find a router to deploy in about 40 sites with ADSL
broadband. The router/firewall/VPN thing to be used is a standalone unit
that has no built-in ADSL support.

What I'm after is something that can simply terminate the ADSL
connection, connect to the VPN-firewall device over ethernet and nothing
else.

may help if you say what the "thing" is as interoperability may be an

That's undecided, but basically a Linux or BSD machine.

Thanks for links, I'm having a look now.
Old June 27th 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Stewart

"T." wrote in message
[...]

The SpeedTouch 530 supports DCHP spoofing and is reasonably well priced.

I've had one for about a year now and it's been extremely reliable.

Never had any need to use the DCHP spoofing feature though.

They do higher models as well, depending on which features you're after,
which presumably support DCHP spoofing as well.

You'll need to check the manuals online though to confirm this.

http://www.speedtouch.co.uk/broadband.asp?menuCurrPos=2.

Stephen