Plunset Regrade Very Fast

Old June 27th 05, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\\\) voom

Default Plunset Regrade Very Fast

I paid Plusnet £14.99 around 48 hours ago to regrade my line to 2Mb and was
told 5-7 days.

Got up this morning and my line is now running at 2Mb and only £14.99 per
month. Nice.

Old June 27th 05, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

"Gareth :-\) voom" wrote in message
I paid Plusnet £14.99 around 48 hours ago to regrade my line to 2Mb and was
told 5-7 days.

Got up this morning and my line is now running at 2Mb and only £14.99
per
month. Nice.

Sounds a great deal. Wonder why Tiscali can't be bothered to upgrade their
512k customers to a reasonable 1MB package?

Old June 27th 05, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\\\) voom

"Gareth :-\) voom" wrote in message
I paid Plusnet £14.99 around 48 hours ago to regrade my line to 2Mb and

was
told 5-7 days.

Got up this morning and my line is now running at 2Mb and only £14.99

per
month. Nice.

Plunset?? It must be the heat or maybe I'm just thick

Old June 28th 05, 01:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Plunset?? It must be the heat or maybe I'm just thick

Not enough 'voom' in your fingers to keep up with 2Mb/s... ?
;-)
Regards,
Martin

Old June 29th 05, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Taylor

"Gareth :-\) voom" wrote in message
I paid Plusnet £14.99 around 48 hours ago to regrade my line to 2Mb and was
told 5-7 days.

Got up this morning and my line is now running at 2Mb and only £14.99
per
month. Nice.

It's comments like this that make me glad i'm on NTL cable, or in fact any
cable service; with NTL being the cheapest at the moment... instant package
changes, no other company (BT in this case) intervention...yay

Old June 29th 05, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:24:59 GMT, "Taylor"
wrote:

"Gareth :-\) voom" wrote in message
I paid Plusnet £14.99 around 48 hours ago to regrade my line to 2Mb and was
told 5-7 days.

Got up this morning and my line is now running at 2Mb and only £14.99
per
month. Nice.

It's comments like this that make me glad i'm on NTL cable, or in fact any
cable service; with NTL being the cheapest at the moment... instant package
changes, no other company (BT in this case) intervention...yay

Questions for the OP:
1) What time did you stop using the service the previous day?
2) What made you report that you asked for the work to be done "48 hours ago"
rather than a couple of days ago?
3) How do you know when the service was actually regraded ,and if you wern't
expecting it for several more days, what prompted you to seek out the speed?
4) Nice what?
5) What prompted you to record this everyday happening on this Newsgroup?
6) Were you aware that most people don't have to pay for a re-grade?

Qustions for the NTL user:
1) What was it about the OPs comments that makes you feel so smug using NTL?
2) The cheapest what? For download speed, upload speed or a combination of
both?
3) Are you happy to be with a company that has a freeze on investment in the
Broadband field?
4) Don't you find the upload speeds pathetic?
4) And if the NTL service becomes very poor, you have wasted your investment
in a cable router when you move to another ISP.
5) You may also have to pay a deposit to BT to get an existing line e-enabled
because of no credit history.

Are you still feeling glad now?

David Bradley

Old June 29th 05, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 29 Jun 2005 21:35, David Bradley wrote:

1) What time did you stop using the service the previous day?

It may have been the same day - perhaps he went to bed at 01:00 but his link
was still active downloading from binary groups, or software updates...

2) What made you report that you asked for the work to be done "48 hours ago"
rather than a couple of days ago?

It might well have been exactly 48 hours (from the time he placed the request,
but out at work during the day so had not posted anything first thing in the
morning when he found the higher speed was in effect).

3) How do you know when the service was actually regraded ,and if you wern't
expecting it for several more days, what prompted you to seek out the speed?

The router will probably (a) have had a restart attempt and would (b) show a
higher sync speed, from what it had previously shown. It's quite 'nice' to
see something apparently quite a lot faster... would be like having some old
56 kbps modem showing a connect speed of 35 k and the next day jump to 140 k!!

4) Nice what?

nice value for money

5) What prompted you to record this everyday happening on this Newsgroup?

It is perhaps not an everyday happening... others have commented on how fast
certain ISPs were to get their line activated, whether the ISP actually made
much difference or BT Wholesale just happened to schedule it faster somehow,
we'll probably never know. It might also have been that as someone who had
been looking forward to the higher speed, finding that it could have been
achieved fairly cheaply, and could have been in effect from the start of May
when the new account pricing levels were released, he's perhaps also giving
a hint to those other readers of how they might choose to proceed.

I don't knww why, but it seems quite a number of posters choose to use u.t.b
to discuss/query events on Plus.Net when there are quite adequate newsgroups
under plusnet.* It seems Gareth would not fit into someone's 'sycophant' or
'commission chasing' category, but just someone genuinely happy to give a
comment on satisfaction (misguided perhaps, if it was 'luck of the draw' at
BT Wholesale which meant this happened!) on his ISP, where most posts are in
the 'My ISP has just .... and I'm unhappy as ....' style.

6) Were you aware that most people don't have to pay for a re-grade?

[ Most people in general, or most people on Plus.Net ? ]

I suspect Gareth is well aware that he could wait to be regraded free under
Plus.Net's scheme, but an aspect which appears has been the case is that
tentative regrade dates have 'slipped' so people who first heard about a
'free regrade' in February to come over the next few (perhaps 3) months
have now seen dates for it to start in, say, May, but nothing has happened
so far, and either a revised date has been given and can be found via the
'User Tools' lookup http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ facility, or
via query to CS people.

If you meant "in general", then you may be wrong, as ISPs get charged by BT
and most could pass that fee on. Some might regrade from 500 to 2000 kbps
but offer a 'throttled' service to give 1000 kbps and allow for a later switch
of account to 2000 (along with a higher fee each month, if that's the way that
ISP has chosen to go) without needing to pay BT a second fee... so the switch
from 1000 to 2000 might be done free (or as with Plus.Net some months back,
some ISP would allow a change where their future monthly fees would increase,
tending to absorb the charge by BT knowing they would recover it over several
months of continued use by the customer, at the higher monthly charge). Now
a few ISPs are charging the same fee, for any speed up to 2000 kbps, though
I doubt many will do the regrade without fee, unless as part of the 'bulk
regrade' special offer from BT Wholesale which they've opted to use, at
the significantly reduced fee. Peter M.
Old June 30th 05, 06:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:48:04 +0100, poster wrote:

[...]

Thank you for this response. Quite informative and food for thought.

David Bradley