Bulldog 0845 Problem

Old June 27th 05, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fred Finisterre

Default Bulldog 0845 Problem

Hi,

Had Bulldog for a few months now with no major problems.

Howevwer, there is one 0845 number that gives me "The number you have
dialled is not in service". I can call it from my mobile, and used to be
able to call it from my BT line.

Anybody ever seen anything like this?

Cheers,

Fred.

Old June 27th 05, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Clark

In article ,
"Fred Finisterre" writes:
Had Bulldog for a few months now with no major problems.

Howevwer, there is one 0845 number that gives me "The number you have
dialled is not in service". I can call it from my mobile, and used to be
able to call it from my BT line.

Anybody ever seen anything like this?

Perhaps more a question for the parent group uk.telecom, so follow-up set

Because the phone line is unbundled, you're getting your phone service
from C&W (as, no doubt, you fully realise). Although BT are obliged to
route a call to any valid UK number, C&W don't have to. If the 0845
number range you are trying to dial is allocated to an operator C&W
don't want to deal with, or simply can't be bothered to set up an
interconnect agreement with, then they may reject the call.

Yes, I've had this when working for a large organisation which used C&W
for most outgoing calls. There were always a few tiny dark corners of
the numbering range that C&W wouldn't reach. They were so few that it
was easiest getting the switchboard operator to place the call on a BT
line when it happened. If they were encountered more frequently, the
PABX could have been programmed to route them automatically.

The home equivalent is to use a mobile, or have a one or two 0800 access
calling cards with different operators handy for such an eventuality.

--
Tim Clark