What info does broadband require please?

Old June 27th 05, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default What info does broadband require please?

Hi Folks
I am currently with Virgin dial up and considering going to broadband
(maybe Virgin,maybe AOL,maybe uk online...) but wondered if anyone in
the group could answer a query please?.
I mainly use Linux but still have an XP partition (just in case). I
change and upgrade to different Linux distros frequently and to get back
online I simply enter my user name, password, in and out servers ie
pop.virgin.net and smtp.virgin.net, news server ie text.news.virgin.net
and email address in the relevant place in the dial up application
(usually kppp) and all is well giving me access to emails, web and
newsgroups again.
My question is if this is still the same for broadband or does this
require extra info?.
I assumed I just join up with an ISP get the line tested and configured
for broadband, get the right modem, put the right details in the right
boxes and thats it. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Steve
Old June 28th 05, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:18:37 GMT, Steve wrote:

(snip description of entering various IP and 'net connection features)

My question is if this is still the same for broadband or does this
require extra info?.

more or less the same except...

you'll need to make sure your ADSL modem has Linux drivers. This isn't
always the case since many of them are USB based. A better solution is
to use a modem thats ethernet-capable, or a modem/router, and connect
your PC via ethernet. You'll almost certainly have to buy one of those
yourself, ISP-supplied modems are almost always USB.