What info is required for broadband please?

Old June 27th 05, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default What info is required for broadband please?

Hi Folks
I am currently with Virgin dial up and considering going to broadband
(maybe Virgin,maybe AOL,maybe uk online...) but wondered if anyone in
the group could answer a query please?.
I mainly use Linux but still have an XP partition (just in case). I
change and upgrade to different Linux distros frequently and to get back
online I simply enter my user name, password, in and out servers ie
pop.virgin.net and smtp.virgin.net, news server ie text.news.virgin.net
and email address in the relevant place in the dial up application
(usually kppp) and all is well giving me access to emails, web and
newsgroups again.
My question is if this is still the same for broadband or does this
require extra info?.
I assumed I just join up with an ISP get the line tested and configured
for broadband, get the right modem, put the right details in the right
boxes and thats it. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Steve
Old June 27th 05, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:26:21 GMT,it is alleged that Steve
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

[...]

I can't advise where to enter the details as that depends on your
applications, but if you get a broadband router or modem with an
ethernet port rather than the usual USB (which may not have drivers
for your particular distribution), you should be able to be online as
soon as you boot. I can confirm that if you went with virgin.net's
ADSL, the Mail and News server addresses remain the same as with
dialup. In the case of a modem/router with ethernet connectivity,
you'd enter the broadband login details (username, password, and
various sundry settings that virgin will supply you with) into the
modem or router's setup menu, and it takes care of the connection
rather than having your computer do it.

--
Life is like a hot bath. It feels good while you're in it, but the
longer you stay in, the more wrinkled you get.
Old June 27th 05, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

My question is if this is still the same for broadband or does this
require extra info?.

Its basically the same, but to save time getting online, and depending on
the type of modem you get lumped with, i`d seriously consider getting a
router. Some USB modems can be a b*tch to set up under linux :-}

That will hold the login details and stay connected for you. You simply
need to edit the mail servers and username / password in whichever mail /
news program you want to use.

Old June 27th 05, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Donald McTrevor

You need to find an ISP who supplies broadband.
Then you need to supply them with your bank or
credit card details, that is all the info you need.

Old June 27th 05, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Thanks for info guys, a big help!. Now only to choose a good ISP ;-).
Been with Virgin for five years, faultless, very tempted to go with them
but the caps they (and others) insist on puts me off a bit.
Seems to defeat the object of broadband IMHO
Regards
Steve
Old June 27th 05, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:06:24 GMT,it is alleged that Steve
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

Thanks for info guys, a big help!. Now only to choose a good ISP ;-).
Been with Virgin for five years, faultless, very tempted to go with them
but the caps they (and others) insist on puts me off a bit.
Seems to defeat the object of broadband IMHO
Regards
Steve

That was my thought too. However, on my basic 512k broadband account
with Virgin, they have recently doubled the cap from 3Gb/month to 6. I
estimate if 30 days in a month on average, that's 200Mb/day download,
it suits me fine, I have never gone over the allowance and I am a
fairly heavy downloader. If you DO go over just once/twice, they bill
you 2 pounds/gb and if you do it consistently will upgrade you to the
plan that's nearly 30 pounds a month.

mini-rant
I am considering leaving them myself however, due to them now being a
wholly owned subsidiary of NTL, who I *really* don't like because they
force you to use proxies, if you don't set one up, the transparent
proxy does odd things to your web surfing. I have many varied reasons
for hating this, including being blocked from many sites and
incorrectly identified by others because NTL are labelled as 'an
abusive netblock', none of which NTL consider to be important enough
for them to abandon their strange use of transparent proxies on a
public ISP.
/mini-rant

--
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what
the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be
Old June 28th 05, 01:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Steve:
Now only to choose a good ISP ;-).

DO have look at Plus.Net, specially their Broadband Plus option,
just £14.99 for 2Mb/s Broadband Plus, no
limits (but they slow down music, video and binary downloads at busy times)
or £21.99 for Premium unlimited service.
I have been with Plus.Net for over two years and the service has been
excellent. They won awards for customer service and they even reply to posts
here.
If you decide to sign up with Plus.Net please use my ID 'wester' as a
referrer and save me few pence, thanks, regards,
Martin

Old June 28th 05, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:52:56 +0100, "Martin²" wrote:

Steve:
Now only to choose a good ISP ;-).

DO have look at Plus.Net, specially their Broadband Plus option,
just £14.99 for 2Mb/s Broadband Plus, no
limits (but they slow down music, video and binary downloads at busy times)
or £21.99 for Premium unlimited service.
I have been with Plus.Net for over two years and the service has been
excellent. They won awards for customer service and they even reply to posts
here.
If you decide to sign up with Plus.Net please use my ID 'wester' as a
referrer and save me few pence, thanks, regards,
Martin

A private note to Peter M - Why can';t those that recommend PlustNet
construct their own recommendations rather than using a "script" that we have
read SO many times?

Incidently busy times have variously been described as periods as little as a
couple of hours to almost up to 24 hours! Make up your own mind on the
validity of that statement.

David Bradley

Old June 28th 05, 10:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:48:07 +0100, David Bradley
wrote:

A private note to Peter M - Why can';t those that recommend PlustNet
construct their own recommendations rather than using a "script" that we have
read SO many times?

usenet isn't really a "private note" media.

Peter M's approach is best, a discreet entry in his sig.

I too get heartily sick of the callcentre scripts of others waxing
lyrical about the fantastic service followed by the inevitable "if you
decide to use them please use my id "grabbing*******" as it saves me a
few pence"

"got any change mate ?"

"Big Issue ?"