Broadband and Dial up.

Old June 27th 05, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Donald McTrevor

Default Broadband and Dial up.

Is this possible?
When mine (brooadband) was installed I was told to delete all my dialup
connection entries (against my wishes) however I have added
some since, but not used them.
Can I use them or will it confuse my computer?
Could I just plug in my telephone modem now and dial one up
(whilst still connected by my cable modem) or would I
have to disconnect the cable modem (which causes my
computer to crash, I believe).
I guess I could try but, that would cost a few pence :O)

Cheaper to ask.

Old June 28th 05, 09:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Alex Monro

Donald McTrevor wrote:

Is this possible?
When mine (brooadband) was installed I was told to delete all my dialup
connection entries (against my wishes) however I have added
some since, but not used them.
Can I use them or will it confuse my computer?
Could I just plug in my telephone modem now and dial one up
(whilst still connected by my cable modem) or would I
have to disconnect the cable modem (which causes my
computer to crash, I believe).
I guess I could try but, that would cost a few pence :O)

Cheaper to ask.

Unless you set up some special routing to split your traffic between cable
& dialup you're likely to get things very confused. You don't say what
OS you're using, but I believe most versions of Windows can't handle
routing very well. I tried something similar with Linux once, but I
didn't manage to get it to work.

It might be worth keeping the dialup connections & modem as a backup in
case the cable modem fails sometime.
--
Alex Monro, Exeter, UK Life is like Windows - the documentation
alexm at pobox dot com (No HTML) is useless, and it crashes horribly
Old June 28th 05, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:39:18 +0100, Alex Monro
wrote:

Donald McTrevor wrote:

[...]

I regularly do a dial-up to one particular ISP whilst connected on
broadband to a different ISP. (I have a small web site on the dial-up
ISP). With nothing especially setup the dial-up connection seems to
take precedence. My broadband connection uses a network card.

--
AnthonyL
Old June 28th 05, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Donald McTrevor

wrote:

Donald McTrevor wrote:

[...]

I am using windows98,
I thought that this might be possible.
There is nothing in theory as to why it should not happen.
(barring microsoft et all being shhhhite).
Not sure what you mean my takke precedence, both can exist
at the same time?
It is always useful to have a backup.
I will give it a try sometime.

--
AnthonyL

Old June 28th 05, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Colin Wilson

Is this possible?

Certainly possible. Both at the same time if you so wish.

When mine (brooadband) was installed I was told to delete all my dialup
connection entries (against my wishes)

The guy was a muppet.

Old June 28th 05, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Martin Underwood

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
Is this possible?

Certainly possible. Both at the same time if you so wish.

When mine (brooadband) was installed I was told to delete all my dialup
connection entries (against my wishes)

The guy was a muppet.

Indeed he was. The only dialler entry that would become superfluous (but
it's OK to keep it there) is one which dials to a freephone number, because
most ISPs remove your access to this at the same time as upgrading you to
broadband. However you retain the ability to dial up on a pay-as-you-go
number.

I'm not too sure how TCP would react if you had a broadband and a dialup
session at the same time. It would probably do one of two things: a)
initally send packets over both transports and learn that it always got a
faster response over broadband and so use it; or b) send packets randomly
according to which transport had no packets queued to send, thus sending
most data over broadband and occasional packets over dialup. It's a similar
situation to a PC with both a cable and a wireless link to a router (eg take
your PC which has a wireless link established and plug it into a LAN) - I
imagine traffic ends up being sent mainly or exclusively over the faster
link.

Old June 28th 05, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Colin Wilson

I'm not too sure how TCP would react if you had a broadband and a dialup
session at the same time. It would probably do one of two things: a)
initally send packets over both transports and learn that it always got a
faster response over broadband and so use it; or b) send packets randomly
according to which transport had no packets queued to send, thus sending
most data over broadband and occasional packets over dialup. It's a similar
situation to a PC with both a cable and a wireless link to a router (eg take
your PC which has a wireless link established and plug it into a LAN) - I
imagine traffic ends up being sent mainly or exclusively over the faster
link.

I tried it a while ago, and IIRC, the "newest" connection took precedence
on Win98SE

Old June 28th 05, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Donald McTrevor

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
Is this possible?

Certainly possible. Both at the same time if you so wish.

When mine (brooadband) was installed I was told to delete all my dialup
connection entries (against my wishes)

The guy was a muppet.

True I kind of realised this, however I had little choice but to
follow his instructions, especially as there could have been a
genuine reason for this.
I guess leaving me with no backup connection it would make
me more reliant on there suppport (presumably at premium rates).
However I have not really needed a backup so far but I don't want
to put all my eggs in one basket.

Old June 28th 05, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Donald McTrevor

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
[...]

Yes I recall there is some 7 layer model for comms, although only a few
may be used, its quite a compliacted thing which I would have thought
would cover things like this but... I guess if you have two lines of
communication open things get rather confusing as there is no way you
can specify which 'link' to use.
Obviously with dial up you can hang up, but with a cable modem its not
so simple. I seem to recall that if I disconnect the cable modem it
causes major problems essentially 'disable' the computer entirely.
I am not sure if this would happen if I had a dial up conection at the
same time.
Also I doon't think my computer will boot properly if the cable modem
is disconnected. Probably a way around that (one would hope!! (new PC? -
lol))

I will have to look into it and try a few thing out sometime.

Old June 28th 05, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Donald McTrevor

[...]

It might be sensible to close any open connections I suppose.
Things could get awefully confusing, you would have two domain
name servers for instance......

I seem to recall the names of some layers were call the physical,
session, transport, appllication?... anyway google gives...
http://www.freesoft.org/CIE/Topics/15.htm
although I am not sure how it all hangs togeather and whether or where
this situation is covered.

Still not a major problem anyway.