Belkin 802.11g 54Mb Wireless ADSL router

Old June 28th 05, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Edmondson

Default Belkin 802.11g 54Mb Wireless ADSL router

Hi Guys,

Just after some advice. I have had a Belkin ADSL wireless router here on
my desk for about a year running smoothly. Following advice from this
group I changed the firmware to that released by SMC Networks.

I have noticed over the past few weeks that the router is getting very
hot. It still works but the heat coming out of it seems to have increased.

On top of that if I leave the modem for a while with nothing accessing
the internet it seems to stop sending data (obviously), but even when I
then fireup Firefox or Thunderbird the router refuses to send any data
or wake up the ADSL even though the Syn light is on and the LAN
connection light is flashing.

A quick power cycle and the router fires up again all working.

Does this sound weird or is it normal?

Best wishes

Gareth Edmondson
Old June 30th 05, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Not Me

Gareth Edmondson wrote:
Hi Guys,

Just after some advice. I have had a Belkin ADSL wireless router here on
my desk for about a year running smoothly. Following advice from this
group I changed the firmware to that released by SMC Networks.

I have noticed over the past few weeks that the router is getting very
hot. It still works but the heat coming out of it seems to have increased.

On top of that if I leave the modem for a while with nothing accessing
the internet it seems to stop sending data (obviously), but even when I
then fireup Firefox or Thunderbird the router refuses to send any data
or wake up the ADSL even though the Syn light is on and the LAN
connection light is flashing.

A quick power cycle and the router fires up again all working.

Does this sound weird or is it normal?

It shouldn't be normal! I've flashed my belkin the same way, and had no
such problems... I have heard of overheating problems though, but afaik
this was irrelevant of the firmware.

Some time ago I stumbled upon a project to create a firmware based on
linux for these routers (or the chipset within the router) but I lost
the link and can't find it again!

Cheers,
Chris
Old June 30th 05, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Not Me

Not Me wrote:
Some time ago I stumbled upon a project to create a firmware based on
linux for these routers (or the chipset within the router) but I lost
the link and can't find it again!

Here we go... http://linyr.marcansoft.com/ progress seems a little slow,
mind.

Old June 30th 05, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Captain Kremin

"Gareth Edmondson" wrote in message
[...]

I have a small SMC USB modem which for over a year has been perfect but
recently it has started to do the exact same thing, it says it's connected
but when I launch explorer or outlook it cannot connect, I have to manually
disconnect it (right click etc) and then allow it to redial then it's fine.
I always get told, at the same time, that a network cable is "unplugged",
the network cable being an ATM ELAN cable which doesn't actually exist.

CK