Telephone Wiring

Old June 29th 05, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian

Default Telephone Wiring

I am trying to sort out my internal telephone wiring before I get broadband.

The master socket is downstairs by the front door, and there are secondary
sockets in most rooms, including my study upstairs..

Seems I have two choices
1. To put the filter/splitter at the master socket, connect all the phones
to the phone side, and run a separate cable to my study for the broadband
or
2. Plug the filter/splitter into the socket in my study, and provide a
separate filter for each phone.

Can an expert advise which is the best solution and whether there is any
restriction on the length of cable between the filter/splitter and the
modem.

Thanks

Brian E.

Old June 29th 05, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"Brian" bj[hyphen]edwards[at]tiscali[dot]co[dot]uk wrote in message
I am trying to sort out my internal telephone wiring before I get
broadband.

The master socket is downstairs by the front door, and there are secondary
sockets in most rooms, including my study upstairs..

Seems I have two choices
1. To put the filter/splitter at the master socket, connect all the phones
to the phone side, and run a separate cable to my study for the broadband
or
2. Plug the filter/splitter into the socket in my study, and provide a
separate filter for each phone.

Can an expert advise which is the best solution and whether there is any
restriction on the length of cable between the filter/splitter and the
modem.

Thanks

Brian E.

Brian, I don't think either option is 'better' than the other, but you have
the right information. The choice is yours. Whatever you feel is the best
way of doing, go that way.

I went for the option to serve all the phones with just the one filter and
use a wireless modem/router to connect to the internet. I have more than
one computer here, so I needed broadband access right around the house and
in the garden. I also needed the broadband access always on, because I run
serveral services that require it to be always on here.

I personally like to make the job as neat and tidy as possible, thus just
one filter, but either way will work just fine.

Tony

Old June 29th 05, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:28:13 +0100, "Brian"
bj[hyphen]edwards[at]tiscali[dot]co[dot]uk wrote:

I am trying to sort out my internal telephone wiring before I get broadband.

The master socket is downstairs by the front door, and there are secondary
sockets in most rooms, including my study upstairs..

Seems I have two choices
1. To put the filter/splitter at the master socket, connect all the phones
to the phone side, and run a separate cable to my study for the broadband
or
2. Plug the filter/splitter into the socket in my study, and provide a
separate filter for each phone.

Can an expert advise which is the best solution and whether there is any
restriction on the length of cable between the filter/splitter and the
modem.

Thanks

Brian E.

If you really meant the best solution then you have a third choice providing
your wiring to each socket outlet is six cores. What you can do is to use a
special master socket that provides both a down stream Broadband service and
POTS. In your studly, replace your faceplate with combination unit that
accepts a POTS service and a Broadband service. No need to touch any other
outlet socket in the house nor wil these need a filter.

I am sure that some expert reading this could specify the actual bits you need
and where they could be sourced from.

David Bradley
Old June 29th 05, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Brian bj[hyphen]edwards[at]tiscali[dot]co[dot]uk wrote:

I am trying to sort out my internal telephone wiring before I get
broadband.

The master socket is downstairs by the front door, and there are
secondary sockets in most rooms, including my study upstairs..

Seems I have two choices
1. To put the filter/splitter at the master socket, connect all the
phones to the phone side, and run a separate cable to my study for
the broadband or
2. Plug the filter/splitter into the socket in my study, and provide a
separate filter for each phone.

Can an expert advise which is the best solution and whether there is
any restriction on the length of cable between the filter/splitter
and the modem.

Thanks

Brian E.

Replacing the faceplate on the master socket with a filtered faceplate is a
technically superior solution to having filters in every socket because it
separates the ADSL signal from any dodgy extension wiring you may have *at
source*. If you use the modified variety as supplied by Clarity
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm (and probably others) you
can neatly wire your digital extension into the special terminals on the
*back* of the faceplate.

--
Cheers,
Tim