BT Relate 2100 and 1571

Old June 29th 05, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Default BT Relate 2100 and 1571

I have just got myself one of these and everything works fine with one
exception. There is an LED that should illuminate when there is a callminder
message waiting. I assume that this is intended to work by detecting the
distinctive dial tone. It does not work. Could this be a broadband
filtration problem? Any constructive suggestions on how to resolve this
apart from getting the phone replaced?

Peter Crosland

Old June 29th 05, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Jet Morgan

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

I have just got myself one of these and everything works fine with one
exception. There is an LED that should illuminate when there is a

callminder
message waiting. I assume that this is intended to work by detecting the
distinctive dial tone. It does not work.

I think it depends on BT sending the "message waiting" flag as a SIN227-type
message. They only (presumably) do this when you get (or discharge) a new
message, so if your machine doesn't receive that, the exchange won't know,
and your machine will be none the wiser.

Richard [in PE12]

Old June 29th 05, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I have just got myself one of these and everything works fine with one
exception. There is an LED that should illuminate when there is a

callminder
message waiting. I assume that this is intended to work by detecting the
distinctive dial tone. It does not work.

I think it depends on BT sending the "message waiting" flag as a
SIN227-type
message. They only (presumably) do this when you get (or discharge) a new
message, so if your machine doesn't receive that, the exchange won't know,
and your machine will be none the wiser.

Thanks for that Richard. Are you saying that this should happen as a matter
of course or do I need to get BT to enable something? I go nowhere with the
two BT droids I communicated with.

Peter Crosland

Old June 30th 05, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Jet Morgan

[...]

I don't know. I've never used it or the equipment that you have. I
am only surmising how I think it *should* work if everything is set up
as it should. Perhaps you have to subscribe to Caller Display as well
(the mechanism by which the MW flag is sent).

Perhaps we should wait until someone with suitable facilities to decode
the SIN227 stream pops up in this newsgroup, to see if the MW flag
does get sent. I'd do it myself but I don't have the facilities any more.

Richard [in PE12]

Peter Crosland

Old June 30th 05, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

Jet Morgan wrote:
"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

I have just got myself one of these and everything works fine with one
exception. There is an LED that should illuminate when there is a

callminder

message waiting. I assume that this is intended to work by detecting the
distinctive dial tone. It does not work.

I think it depends on BT sending the "message waiting" flag as a SIN227-type
message. They only (presumably) do this when you get (or discharge) a new
message, so if your machine doesn't receive that, the exchange won't know,
and your machine will be none the wiser.

Richard [in PE12]

According to the manual, it checks 1 minute after use and
every 30 minutes thereafter, indicating on the display while
doing this. It must be an "off-hook", dial-tone check. The
user should watch for the indication after a call.

The user should also listen for the stuttered dial-tone.
Old June 30th 05, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Thanks for that Richard. Are you saying that this should happen as a
matter
of course or do I need to get BT to enable something? I go nowhere with

the
two BT droids I communicated with.

I don't know. I've never used it or the equipment that you have. I
am only surmising how I think it *should* work if everything is set up
as it should. Perhaps you have to subscribe to Caller Display as well
(the mechanism by which the MW flag is sent).

Perhaps we should wait until someone with suitable facilities to decode
the SIN227 stream pops up in this newsgroup, to see if the MW flag
does get sent. I'd do it myself but I don't have the facilities any more.

Thanks Richard. Having caller display is a requirement to receive SMS
messages and I do have that. I also note what Jim says but do not understand
quite what it means. The BT droids cannot tell me either. I shall persevere.

Peter Crosland

Old June 30th 05, 03:24 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9632

On 30 Jun 2005 14:34, "Peter Crosland" wrote:

I also note what Jim says but do not understand quite what it means.

When you have a message waiting (and also, confusingly, if you use some
other services) you get the "broken" dial tone (tone, quiet, tone, quiet)
and some units, such as a Telcom caller display I have, go "off hook" (as
if someone picked the phone up) to 'sample' the tone on the phone line...

With my Caller Display, if it detects the broken tones, it lights a small
'Message Waiting' LED (and is one reason I have not used it if other BT
network services are in use, ones which cause a similar indication, but
impossible in my case to have message waiting as I don't use 1571.
Old June 30th 05, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

" When you have a message waiting (and also, confusingly, if you use some
other services) you get the "broken" dial tone (tone, quiet, tone, quiet)
and some units, such as a Telcom caller display I have, go "off hook" (as
if someone picked the phone up) to 'sample' the tone on the phone line...

With my Caller Display, if it detects the broken tones, it lights a small
'Message Waiting' LED (and is one reason I have not used it if other BT
network services are in use, ones which cause a similar indication, but
impossible in my case to have message waiting as I don't use 1571.

Thanks for that Peter. I rather expected it would work that way so I tried
another experiment today which was to phone from my mobile and leave a
message. Then I left the phone alone for ninety minutes so that it had at
least two chances to try the detection. The call LED lit as expected and the
dial tone was pulsing as expected but the 1571 LED remained resolutely
unlit. Back to the BT droids tomorrow though I doubt I will get anywhere!

Peter Crosland

Old July 1st 05, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

Peter Crosland wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a phone problem, if the dial tone was broken.
Did you try removing the ADSL filter? However, I can't see
how that would affect 400 Hz dial tone.

Did you see the phone go off-hook (the display icon should
appear)? It should do this 1 minute after a call (or maybe
just picking up and replacing the handset would trigger this
timer). Maybe it is doing this but the exchange is not
detecting it.

The user guide normally has a technical helpline, though I
can't see it. BT's web-site lists amongst its technical
helplines the following:
Relate 1100, 700,1500, Your Phone 0911 023 5004
12p connection then local rate

The product is made by:
A-Team Technology Ltd.
http://www.ateamtech.com/a-team-www/product/as5500.htm
though that basic model doesn't seem to have the MW LED.
There are contact details on the web-site (they're in Hong
Kong).
Old July 1st 05, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

[...]

Thanks Jim.

The off hook does work but I must admit I had not tried staring at the phone
to see if this happened one minute after a call. I have not tried using it
on the test socket but will try it when I get an opportunity. It would be
interesting to see the "A" Team attempting to sort out BT!

Peter Crosland