Dacs Removal costs

Old June 29th 05, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony

Default Dacs Removal costs

Hi
I am considering upgrading from dial-up to broadband but as I'm not very
technically minded, I am a bit baffled by what I have been told by Wanadoo
and I wondered if any of you would be kind enough to help/advise.
I phoned Wanadoo about getting broad band through them as I have dial up
with them already ( this has been a fault free service for over 2 years ).
The man I spoke to said that we have a DACS on the line and it would have to
be removed before we could get broadband, BUT, wanadoo are refusing to pay
BT for the removal costs. This means that wanadoo are unable to supply us
with broadband.
The questions I have are;-
Is this normal for service providers? ( or is it wanadoo being crappy )
Can I do anything about it?
If not any advice which way to go?
TIA
Gwyneth

Old June 29th 05, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

"Anthony" wrote in message
Hi
I am considering upgrading from dial-up to broadband but as I'm not very
technically minded, I am a bit baffled by what I have been told by Wanadoo
and I wondered if any of you would be kind enough to help/advise.
I phoned Wanadoo about getting broad band through them as I have dial up
with them already ( this has been a fault free service for over 2 years ).
The man I spoke to said that we have a DACS on the line and it would have
to be removed before we could get broadband, BUT, wanadoo are refusing to
pay BT for the removal costs. This means that wanadoo are unable to supply
us with broadband.
The questions I have are;-
Is this normal for service providers? ( or is it wanadoo being crappy )
Can I do anything about it?
If not any advice which way to go?

BT should remove the DACS as a part of the broadband install. It shouldn't
cost you or Wanadoo anything.

Old June 29th 05, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:12:52 +0100, "Alastair"
wrote:

BT should remove the DACS as a part of the broadband install. It shouldn't
cost you or Wanadoo anything.

but if the cost exceeds a threshold (900 ?) BT may decline to do it.

If the OP can't get any more sense out of Wanadoo I would try another
ISP.

Phil

Old June 29th 05, 10:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jasper

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:08:11 +0100, "Anthony"
wrote:

[...]

Gwyneth,

BT will remove DACS foc. Just call 150 and request that it be removed
and they will do it for you - there are no charges for this service

Jasper

Old June 29th 05, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Anthony wrote:
Hi
I am considering upgrading from dial-up to broadband but as I'm not
very technically minded, I am a bit baffled by what I have been told
by Wanadoo and I wondered if any of you would be kind enough to
help/advise. I phoned Wanadoo about getting broad band through them as I
have dial
up with them already ( this has been a fault free service for over 2
years ). The man I spoke to said that we have a DACS on the line and
it would have to be removed before we could get broadband, BUT,
wanadoo are refusing to pay BT for the removal costs. This means that
wanadoo are unable to supply us with broadband.
The questions I have are;-
Is this normal for service providers? ( or is it wanadoo being crappy
) Can I do anything about it?
If not any advice which way to go?

Wannado are talking out of their nether regions. Go to an ISP who wants
your business (obviously W doesn't) & place an order. They will progress
this to BT who will remove the DACS in order to supply you with ADSL.

It's as simple as that, it may take a little longer to get but if you go
with a ISP who, as I said before, wants your business there should be few
problems (other than the longer lead time)..

Old June 29th 05, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 29 Jun 2005 21:29, Phil Thompson wrote:

If the OP can't get any more sense out of Wanadoo I would try another
ISP.

Agreed. When a friend first went onto ADSL, with Eclipse, a couple of
years ago, the DACS was removed (around 10 days after ADSL was meant
to be 'live'). No charge for removing DACS. Plenty of other ISPs to
choose from, and while I used Freeserve's ADSL as a 'wires only' trial
user before it was generally available in April 2002, there are many,
many, more ISPs to choose from [see http://www.adslguide.org/ for a
lot of views about ISPs seen mentioned in u.t.b and many which haven't
been mentioned so far :-] Good luck to you, Gwyneth ! Peter M.

Old June 29th 05, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 29 Jun 2005 21:08, "Anthony" wrote:

The man I spoke to said that we have a DACS on the line and it would have to
be removed before we could get broadband, BUT, wanadoo are refusing to pay
BT for the removal costs. This means that wanadoo are unable to supply us
with broadband.

Is this normal for service providers?

No. Clearly the person at Wanadoo wasn't aware that if possible, they'll get
rid of the DACS to make ADSL work for you. If they cannot get rid of it, as
a consequence of limited spare copper back to the exchange, then there will
still be no charge, but disappointingly for you, no ADSL either :-( Peter.

Old June 30th 05, 12:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

kraftee wrote:

Anthony wrote:
[...]

Looking at this problem for my parents as the Scottish
broadband-for-all-sheep project is rolling out to them in August.
Several of the neighbours are on DACS too (6 out of 9 lines), so I was
thinking about asking for the DACS removal now to seize some pure copper
on grounds of dial-up speed (currently 24kb).
I'd like to wait a few more weeks before placing an order.

Comments ?

Bill
Old June 30th 05, 12:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

In article , poster
writes
No. Clearly the person at Wanadoo wasn't aware that if possible, they'll get
rid of the DACS to make ADSL work for you. If they cannot get rid of it, as
a consequence of limited spare copper back to the exchange, then there will
still be no charge, but disappointingly for you, no ADSL either :-( Peter.

I think, if BT are short of active circuits, they will remove the DACS
for you, and some other poor sod without a ADSL demand will get it. DACS
is today's equivalent of the old shared party line.
--
Hugh Janus Constipation is the thief of time, but diaorrehia waits
for no man!!
Old June 30th 05, 06:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blair

"Anthony" wrote in message
[...]

In my case when I applied for Broadband from Wanadoo I found that BT as a
routine had removed it from my phone line.
I did not have to ask them to do so. It all happened as part of the system
so I think that the person you spoke to was right in one way that it was the
BT's responsibility but he expressed it badly by saying that Wanadoo would
not pay for it to be done. There was no need for him to add that remark.
I find Wanadoo give an excellent service with Broadband as they did when I
had Anytime before
Blair