2meg or not 2 meg that is the question??

Old June 29th 05, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mick

Default 2meg or not 2 meg that is the question??

Hi All,

I am a little confused. My neighbour (the semi adjoining mine) is using
(he says) Bulldog 2meg BB. I am on Zen 1meg BB. Now when Zen reduced their
prices recently I requested a re-grade from 1meg to 2meg but apparently my
line has failed the BT test. Now both me and my neighbour live in 6 year
old houses with all the BT cables running underground and live approx
1.5km (as the crow flies) from the exchange. So what's my problem?

TIA

--
Rgds, Mick.
Old June 30th 05, 08:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:40 +0100 (BST), (Mick) wrote:

So what's my problem?

BT's "prequalification" system gives few false positives but probably
~20% false negatives - you are probably one of the latter, told you
can't have 2M when you could.

Bulldog aand UKOnline "cheat" by leaving it up to the kit to sort out
what is achievable, rather than pre-ordaining it based on line
records.

If you have adequate SNR/noise margin you may be able to persuade your
ISP to put through a "manual order" that ignores the tracker result.
Get this info and the attenuation from your modem/router or ask the
ISP to get it remotely.
http://www.pipexsupport.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=3408

BT's limit for 2M is 43 dB downstream attenuation. If you are on 1M
and have 20 dB of margin or more then 2M would almost certainly work
(irrespective of attenuation).

Phil

Old June 30th 05, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mick

"Phil Thompson" wrote:

BT's limit for 2M is 43 dB downstream attenuation. If you are on 1M
and have 20 dB of margin or more then 2M would almost certainly work
(irrespective of attenuation).

Thanks for the explanation. I have just checked my router stats and it is
showing that I have 50dB down and 23dB up for a 1152kbps connection so I
guess I am under the limit.

Oh well, I only wanted to upgrade because they had lowered their prices!!

--
Rgds, Mick.