2mb upgrade woes - LONG

Old June 30th 05, 10:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default 2mb upgrade woes - LONG

I live in a small village less them 1km away from the exchange, and
have been enjoying 1mb Broadband for since October 2004.

Imagine my joy when I heard my ISP (BT YAHOO) were offering free 2mb
upgrades for everyone who could get it.

Well in March 2005 my line was upgraded and initially I was still
downloading at 1mb even though the line said 2mb; I phoned technical
support about this... A decision I would come to regret.

The person at tech support said there doesn't appear to be a problem,
and the download speeds should come up soon. Just in case though, I
will log a fault against your line with B.T. Wholesale... another
decision that I would regret.

Within an hour the speeds were up, and I was enjoying 2mb Broadband.

Normally this would be the end of the story, but alas it is not. On the
following Monday my speed was downgraded again to 1mb, I phoned
technical support and was informed the engineer has looked into the
fault, and has found a problem, so I was downgraded to 1mb.

I tried to explain the fault that was logged was fixed within the hour,
and there was no need for engineer to do that, but it fell on deaf
ears.

Since then I speak to tech support and order management on a monthly
basis to find out what is going wrong, but I am informed that my line
won't support 2mb because B.T. Wholesale say it doesn't.

I was told yesterday there was a problem with my installation (A BT
installation because of home highway conversion.), and there was no
date set for B.T. to fix this.

I have noticed that the broadband checker now says my line can only
support 512kbps because of the length of the line, or some other
problem; remember I live less then a km away from the exchange. I am
now worried that my line will be reduced to 512kbps because of this
even though I have been using 1mb for 8 months.

My neighbour who lives less then 100ft away from me can get 2mb and our
lines go to the same telegraph pole.

I have asked tech support and order management if I can speak to an
engineer, or if they can speak to engineer on my behalf to get someone
to re-test my line, they can't, the reason? My line won't support
2mb.

I am now feeling like I am in a sketch of that great TV show: Little
Britain - "The computer says no!"

I am sure the problem is just a misunderstanding about the original
fault, and if an engineer tested my line at the property he would find
the same.

I have no idea what BT Wholesale are going to do I have been told they
are committed to getting these problems fixed, but they have not set a
date (I am wondering if that is a stock answer).

I have no idea what my next step is... any suggestions greatly
appreciated;

TIA

Simon.

Old June 30th 05, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:26:33 UTC, "
wrote:

(tale of woe)

I have no idea what my next step is... any suggestions greatly
appreciated;

It's easy to say, I know...but get a different ISP, one that is more
proactive when dealing with BT.

As a minor example, my ADSL failed one day at 5 a.m. Clearly the result
of BT work at the exchange. I reported this at 9 a.m., and at noon BT
informed my ISP that it must be a problem with my router or my setup,
and closed the fault. My ISP didn't even worry about contacting me; they
just opened the fault straight away, and started asking awkward
questions of BT. It was fixed shortly afterwards.
euthanasia recommended. ]
Old June 30th 05, 02:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cAm

I have read about the similar problem last year somewhere, and the guy
got it fixed by migrating to some other ISP. I can't remember which ISP,
but for sure was either ZEN, F2S or Plusnet. As customer service levels
of these ISPs are the best, so they chase it up for you with BT if you
explain them everything that happened. If you have had the broadband for
more than one year, I would recommend to get the MAC code from BT and
migrate the connection either to Zen or F2S. With both of them you can
have monthly contract with no activation fee(if migrating) and F2S even
offer uncapped 2Mb broadband for 24.99 pm, with some extras like
webspace, static ip and all. And hopefully by the end of this year, they
will upgrade all UK exchanges to support 8Mb connections
To be honest, I am with Zen at the moment (2Mb, and got free 8 static IP
addresses) and waiting till my exchange gets enabled for 8Mb (hopefully
by september).

Hope it helps!

Regards

Old June 30th 05, 03:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:26:33 UTC, "
wrote:

(tale of woe)

I have no idea what my next step is... any suggestions greatly
appreciated;

It's easy to say, I know...but get a different ISP, one that is more
proactive when dealing with BT.

As a minor example, my ADSL failed one day at 5 a.m. Clearly the result
of BT work at the exchange. I reported this at 9 a.m., and at noon BT
informed my ISP that it must be a problem with my router or my setup,
and closed the fault. My ISP didn't even worry about contacting me; they
just opened the fault straight away, and started asking awkward
questions of BT. It was fixed shortly afterwards.

Unfortunately, I am still in a years contract with them.
Also I am worried if I went to another ISP after the year, they may
take the BT Wholesale checker at face value and downgrade me to
512kbps.

Old June 30th 05, 03:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

cAm wrote:
[...]

Thanks I may do that after the year and hope I don't get downgraded.
Also is it worth complaining to OfCom?