Can I use/convert the broadband thick white cable as cat5 cable?

Old June 30th 05, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
none

Default Can I use/convert the broadband thick white cable as cat5 cable?

Hi

Please could someone give me advice regarding my blueyonder cable modem.

A white box has been installed in the cellar - a black cable from this
goes out into the garden and then into the 'internet' cloud. A thick,
white cable comes out of this box, runs through the house, up to my back
bedroom and into the cable modem. On the white cable, as it connects to
the cable modem are four "interconnecting connectors" which are the same
as the final connection to the cable modem but look like they are there
to lower or raise the signal on the cable.
I have now realised that it would have been better to have kept the
cable modem in the cellar, attach a switch to the cable modem and run
cat5 through the house to the back bedroom for that computers internet
connectino. Then I could put another cat5 up from the cellar to the
lounge and have an internet connection there.

My question after that long ramble is can I convert this thick white
cable that is running through the house to cat5 (is there an adapter?)
so I can install the cable modem next to teh white box in teh cellar,
attach a switch in teh cellar, and use this white cable as a cat5
connection to the pc upstairs?

Phew...

Any help appreciated
Old June 30th 05, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"none" ""richardm\"@(none)" wrote in message
[...]

The white cable is probably 75 ohm coax and will be unsuitable for cat5.

Old June 30th 05, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yddap

In ,
none" ""richardm\"@(none) ""richardm\"@(none)" opined very noisily:
[...]

You cannot use a "Switch" you need a "Router " as blueyonder accept only one
connection to the
modem

My question after that long ramble is can I convert this thick white
cable that is running through the house to cat5 (is there an adapter?)
so I can install the cable modem next to teh white box in teh cellar,
attach a switch in teh cellar, and use this white cable as a cat5
connection to the pc upstairs?

You cannot use Cat5 in place of the Co-ax cable
Cat 5 can only be used after the cable Modem the White cable is a RF cable
which carries internet and TV signals

to a modem ( cable modem or Set top box) where the signals are de-modulated
and sent to the appropriate recipient
A PC or TV

Phew...

Any help appreciated

--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

Old June 30th 05, 03:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

Yddap wrote on Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:03:39 GMT:

You cannot use a "Switch" you need a "Router " as blueyonder accept only
one connection to the
modem

The restriction on one MAC address connected to the cable modem on
Blueyonder was removed months ago (at least before Oct 2004), so you can now
use a switch or a hub rather than a router.

Dan

Old June 30th 05, 03:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:12:56 +0100, "Spack" wrote:

Blueyonder was removed months ago (at least before Oct 2004), so you

forgive me if wrong, but I didn't see BY mentioned by the original poster.
Old June 30th 05, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

poster wrote on Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:34:27 +0100:

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:12:56 +0100, "Spack" wrote:

Blueyonder was removed months ago (at least before Oct 2004), so you

forgive me if wrong, but I didn't see BY mentioned by the original poster.

This entire thread has been about Blueyonder.

Dan

Old June 30th 05, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:34:27 +0100, poster
wrote:

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:12:56 +0100, "Spack" wrote:

Blueyonder was removed months ago (at least before Oct 2004), so you

forgive me if wrong, but I didn't see BY mentioned by the original poster.

The second line says:

Please could someone give me advice regarding my blueyonder cable modem.

Richard

Old June 30th 05, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yddap

In . 85,
poster opined very noisily:
wrote:

Blueyonder was removed months ago (at least before Oct 2004), so you

forgive me if wrong, but I didn't see BY mentioned by the original
poster.

I did
cut /paste of 1st line of OPs post

Old June 30th 05, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

You can't convert it to Cat5 however you may be able to find an old
networking card that has a coax socket on it for running the network over
that cable.
It is the kind of thing most computer folk still have knocking about
somewhere even though they'll never user it.

--
Colin