Broadband From an Extension Socket

Old July 1st 05, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Broadband From an Extension Socket

Hi guys. I've just got broadband installed at home and I've hit a
rather annoying problem.

It seems that the only way I can get a broadband connection on my
computer is to have the ADSL modem connected directly to the BT master
phone socket for the house. Sadly, this is located downstairs and my
study (where my computer resides) is upstairs. The exntension socket in
the study that my dial-up modem used to use doesn't seem to be able to
provide a broadband connection.

Is their anyway I can get broadband to come through this extension
socket in my study? For example, could I buy some higher quality
extension cable?

I've read something about adding an NTE5 BT Line Box (at
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/nte5.htm) that would come directly off
the master socket, would this be a possible solution?

Kind Regards,

Matt

Old July 1st 05, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kenny

It seems that the only way I can get a broadband connection on my
computer is to have the ADSL modem connected directly to the BT master
phone socket for the house. Sadly, this is located downstairs and my
study (where my computer resides) is upstairs. The exntension socket in
the study that my dial-up modem used to use doesn't seem to be able to
provide a broadband connection.

Is their anyway I can get broadband to come through this extension
socket in my study? For example, could I buy some higher quality
extension cable?

well my main (BT main Master socket) is in a room upstairs a cable is connected to that
(internal
connection) to a point downstairs. This has a filter and phone in and and I have another
conection
from this BT socket (again internal cable connection). This is running to another room to a
socket
where I have a another filter then connected to phone and Ethernet lead to router.

All works OK getting 2 mb connection all phones work OK

Old July 2nd 05, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi guys. I've just got broadband installed at home and I've hit a
rather annoying problem.

It seems that the only way I can get a broadband connection on my
computer is to have the ADSL modem connected directly to the BT master
phone socket for the house. Sadly, this is located downstairs and my
study (where my computer resides) is upstairs. The exntension socket in
the study that my dial-up modem used to use doesn't seem to be able to
provide a broadband connection.

i had a similar issue when i set up a router for my brother. It was
eventually traced to problems with the house wiring (6 phone sockets
scattered around) not using the correct pairs in the cable.

it probably wouldnt have mattered, except he is a long way from the exchange
and the signal to noise ratio was not very good (he has around 9 dB now,
plugged in the master socket, we had 3 to 4 before the wiring was
corrected).

Is their anyway I can get broadband to come through this extension
socket in my study? For example, could I buy some higher quality
extension cable?

use a router next to the master socket and then an ethernet, homeplug or
wireless link to the PC.

wireless may be OK - depends on the signal path, metal / brick / stone in
the house construction etc.

Ethernet should work, but you need good quality cable (at least Cat3 for 10
Mbps) - ordinary phone wiring might work if you have at least 2 twisted
pairs and a short run.

homeplug sends the signal via the mains wiring - not used this but supposed
to be fairly easy within a house.

ADSL router and Ethernet card is at least 50 or 60 - wireless / homeplug
probably a fair bit more.

I've read something about adding an NTE5 BT Line Box (at
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/nte5.htm) that would come directly off
the master socket, would this be a possible solution?

you may be able to put a filter in the master socket and take the dedicated
ADSL link over a fairly long cable to the PC - but not the one that doesnt
work already......

Kind Regards,

Matt

--
Regards

Old July 3rd 05, 12:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

you may be able to put a filter in the master socket and take the dedicated
ADSL link over a fairly long cable to the PC - but not the one that doesnt
work already......

I've gone out and bought a 12m RJ11 male to RJ11 male cable and
everything seems fine, I'm guessing the extension socket was running
off a really shoddy wire.

Thanks for the replies.

Kind Regards,

Matt