Plusnet and wireless?

Old July 1st 05, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kris

Default Plusnet and wireless?

I currently use Wanadoo and have thier wireless modem, gonna change m
ISP though and am looking at a few, Plusnet being one. I understand
cant use my Wanadoo wireless modem with another ISP which i didn'
realise when i bought it and am less than impressed by so it looks lik
i'm going to be buying a new one.
Anyways, been looking at Plusnet and they have a wireless option wher
you can buy minutes, i'm not too ISP/net/whatever savvy but if i wan
to surf with Plusnet via my new modem would i have to use this packag
as it doesn't appeal in the slightest?
I was just presuming i could use a regular package and access it vi
whatever modem i used, wired or wireless.
Feel free to correct me.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Kris

--
Kris
Old July 2nd 05, 05:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 1 Jul 2005 22:22, Kris wrote:

Anyways, been looking at Plusnet and they have a wireless option where
you can buy minutes, i'm not too ISP/net/whatever savvy but if i want
to surf with Plusnet via my new modem would i have to use this package

No. It's a completely different type of service, aimed at someone on the move
with a laptop and wireless adaptor, so not the thing you are after... Compare
with all those wireless 'hotspot' ideas from BT OpenZone, Boingo or T-Mobile,
eg http://www.jiwire.com/browse-hotspot-united-kingdom-gb-london-2131771.htm

The typical home setup with a wireless router (though clearly not one used
with Wanadoo - incidentally, I thought they had an 'unlocking' fee which
might let you use it when you switch ISP) would work. One friend has a
Belkin wireless unit, another uses a Linksys router.

I was just presuming i could use a regular package and access it via
whatever modem i used, wired or wireless.

You can. Now all you need is a MAC from Wanadoo (and see how much they charge
for 'unlocking'... if it is much more than about 30 quid, I'd sell the Wanadoo
wireless unit for as much as you can get and buy something new. Good luck.