Netgear DG 834 fails to reconnect

Old July 2nd 05, 08:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel D

Default Netgear DG 834 fails to reconnect

I had to replace my broadband router as my Vigor was killed by a lightning
strike. Very spectacular..

The Netgear DG 834 was up and running very quickly.

But then.. I found that if the router did an idle timeout, and then
subsequently tried to reconnect, it logged in OK, got its ip address and DNS
info from my ISP, but it was not possible to communicate to anything on the
internet. Even pinging the default router does not work.

Sometimes communication starts after a few minutes. Sometimes it never
starts. If I reboot, or power cycle the router, it all works fine.

My ISP is biscit, and I am running the latest firmware V1.01.28. The
problem also occurs with V1.01.00. The fact that power cycling sorts it out
makes it look like a router problem, but a google search found nothing
obvious. 2 hours on the phone to Netgear support came up with nothing.

Has this or anything similar been seen by anyone else with the Netgear
router?

Nigel D.

Old July 2nd 05, 08:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Nigel D wrote:

: My ISP is biscit, and I am running the latest firmware V1.01.28. The
: problem also occurs with V1.01.00. The fact that power cycling sorts it out

The current stable firmware is v2.10.22 - prior one was v1.0.5 - so something is
not right!

I have a DG834G which is rock solid for weeks. You do have "idle timeset"
set to zero?
Old July 2nd 05, 08:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trevor Morris

"Nigel D" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know if this will help, but my DG834 has idle timeout set to 0, and
firmware downloaded last week is V2.10.22.

Trevor Morris

Old July 2nd 05, 09:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel D

Apologies.

I have the DG 834 'GT' wireless router, not the 'G'. which, according to
the website is at V1.01.28. The problems are worse if I have a non-sero
idle timeout. However if it is zero, and there is a line break, or some
other network problem, then I have the same symptoms, and I have to pwer
cycle the router to get a full connection. Not good...

In the process of checking this out, I have found that resetting the
timeout, including to the same value as it was previously gets the router
out of this mode and it then works fine (until the next disconnect). This
is clearly a firmware bug!

Nigel

Old July 2nd 05, 09:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"Trevor Morris" wrote in message
"Nigel D" wrote in message
[...]

The latest firmware for the DG834GT (108 Mbps) is 1.01.28.

The latest firmware for the DG834G (54 Mbps) is 2.10.22.

So the OP evidently has a DG834GT. Mine behaves fine, but I've got my idle
set to 0 (never timeout). However on the fairly rare times that I've powered
it off (eg during severe thunderstorm and when I took it a customer's house
to try as an alternative to his) it's always reconnected very quickly when I
powered it back on. Similarly, with the router left on, if I remove and
replug the ADSL lead it always connects very quickly.

Old July 2nd 05, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel D

I don't know if this will help, but my DG834 has idle timeout set to 0,
and firmware downloaded last week is V2.10.22.

The latest firmware for the DG834GT (108 Mbps) is 1.01.28.

The latest firmware for the DG834G (54 Mbps) is 2.10.22.

So the OP evidently has a DG834GT. Mine behaves fine, but I've got my idle
set to 0 (never timeout). However on the fairly rare times that I've
powered it off (eg during severe thunderstorm and when I took it a
customer's house to try as an alternative to his) it's always reconnected
very quickly when I powered it back on. Similarly, with the router left
on, if I remove and replug the ADSL lead it always connects very quickly.

No problem after powering off and on, indeed that is one of the ways I find
fixes the problem. removing and replugging the ADSL lead was OK for the
three tests that I have just done. It just appears to be for timeouts. So
only a problem if there were ISPs that limit on the amount of time you can
be
connected, but I think everyone is 'always on' now.

I will set my timeout to 0.

Nigel