(Annex A) ADSL Router

Old July 2nd 05, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alt Beer

Default (Annex A) ADSL Router

I've seen a router with a sub description of being spec (Annex A) Would
someone tell me what Annex A means in terms of ADSL Router specs ?

Thanks

Old July 2nd 05, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 08:47:47 GMT, "Alt Beer" wrote:

Would
someone tell me what Annex A means in terms of ADSL Router specs ?

ADSL over POTS (standard phone lines)

annex B is ADSL over ISDN

Phil

Old July 2nd 05, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Molesworth

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 10:08:27 +0100, Mugwump wrote:
Annex A is ADSL over PSTN as used in the UK

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 10:54:30 +0100, Phil Thompson wrote:
ADSL over POTS (standard phone lines)

The telephone system in the UK has been called PSTN for years, why is
this bloody stupid acronym (POTS) starting to appear?

Is it from the Merkins?

--
Nigel M
Old July 2nd 05, 03:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 14:13:22 +0100, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

The telephone system in the UK has been called PSTN for years, why is
this bloody stupid acronym (POTS) starting to appear?
Is it from the Merkins?

probably, dslforum.org use POTS
"Annex A covers the operation of ADSL and traditional analog telephony
(POTS) over the same wire at the same time. Annex B covers the
operation of ADSL and digital telephony (ISDN) over the same wire. "

is there a risk of confusion ie is ISDN a PSTN technology (I suspect
it might be - public switched telephone network). If POTS & ISDN are
both PSTN technologies I can see why you might want to use POTS to
differentiate.

Phil

Old July 2nd 05, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 14:34:12 +0100,it is alleged that Phil Thompson
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

is there a risk of confusion ie is ISDN a PSTN technology (I suspect
it might be - public switched telephone network). If POTS & ISDN are
both PSTN technologies I can see why you might want to use POTS to
differentiate.

I am not sure of the official stance on this from telcos, or even if
there is one, but POTS tends to get used to mean "something simpler
than what this here thing uses", such as extension ports on PBXs that
can't handle a system phone because they only have 1 pair, lines
filtered from ADSL etc.

PSTN as you say contains ISDN, and many thousands of digital systems
that most definitely are not "POTS".

POTS definitely originally came from the US, but was adopted mainly
because it fits :-)

--
SMS: Abbreviation, multiple meanings-
[1] Short Message Service, cellular telephone messaging method.
Old July 3rd 05, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
F2S News

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 10:08:27 +0100, Mugwump wrote:

Annex A is ADSL over PSTN as used in the UK

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 10:54:30 +0100, Phil Thompson wrote:

ADSL over POTS (standard phone lines)

The telephone system in the UK has been called PSTN for years, why is
this bloody stupid acronym (POTS) starting to appear?

Is it from the Merkins?

Plain Old Telephone System is a computer science term to indicate the
differentiation between telephone systems and more advanced telephony
systems, such as VoIP etc.
Old July 5th 05, 03:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Perkin

Phil Thompson wrote in
:

wrote:

The telephone system in the UK has been called PSTN for years, why
is this bloody stupid acronym (POTS) starting to appear?
Is it from the Merkins?

probably, dslforum.org use POTS
"Annex A covers the operation of ADSL and traditional analog
telephony (POTS) over the same wire at the same time. Annex B
covers the operation of ADSL and digital telephony (ISDN) over the
same wire. "

Err, not quite.

Why doesn't someone simply quote the standard? Or more accurately the
ITU (International Telecommunications Union) recommendation? Guess
that leaves it down to me then...

ITU-T Recommendation G.992.1
Asymmetric digital subscriber line (ADSL) transceivers

ANNEX A Specific requirements for an ADSL system operating in the
frequency band above POTS

ANNEX B Specific requirements for an ADSL system operating in the
frequency band above ISDN as defined in ITU-T Recommendation G.961
Appendices I and II

And here's what the Section 4, Abbreviations of G.992.1 has to say
about POTS:

POTS Plain old telephone service; one of the services using the
voiceband; sometimes used as a descriptor for all voiceband services

It has nothing whatsoever to do with adslforum.org
The ITU is not a Merkin body.

Kind regards

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.