Plusnet and wireless?

Old July 2nd 05, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kris

Default Plusnet and wireless?

Oh, another quick question in case anyone has an answer.
I currently have a .freeserve.co.uk email address and want to keep thi
as it the main one i've only ever really used. When i change my ISP i'
lose this apparently but someone mentioned maybe a way of keeping i
when i cancel my broadband connection with them. Perhaps going down t
a pay as you go package, not sure if thats possible, i want to be abl
to get and still send emails with my old addy but not access the ne
via Wandaoo.
Not even sure if that makes sense but does anyone know a way aroun
this?

Thanks,
Kris

--
Kris
Old July 2nd 05, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 2 Jul 2005 10:23, Kris wrote:

Perhaps going down to a pay as you go package, not sure if thats possible,
I want to be able to get and still send emails with my old address but
not access the net via Wandaoo.

When you send you will use the new ISP's mail server for outgoing. You can
usually send with your other ISP mail address without problems, though in
some cases an ISP might have checks in place to allow only domain names the
ISP maintains for itself and its customers. However, you might consider as
an alternative, using a domain name you register (you can get a .INFO for a
couple of dollars at the moment, they were free for a few months!) and then
tell anyone using your existing Freeserve address of your new mail address,
knowing that however many ISPs you use in future, it won't change... I had
a mail address for 8 years from a US ISP, which was swallowed by a big firm
(cable service serving a number of states) and my Ultranet.com mail address
died as a result...

Back to the 'keeping your mail address alive'... been there, done that :-)
(at least for 6 months and then phased out my use of that one too!) You
can 'retrieve' the mail account if it gets 'suspended' (around every 90
days, from memory). There was some clause that if you don't dial in in
a 270 day period, they cancel it completely. So watch out ! (No... just
get a domain and forget that old Freeserve address after a few months! :-)

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Can accept mail for your domain and apply filtering...
Point your MX record to mx.runbox.com and use POP/IMAP...
Old July 3rd 05, 02:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Kris,
I still have my freeserve email although I have been with PlusNet for over
two years now.
All you need to do is change the SMTP server address to relay.plus.net and
carry on using it.
You will need to go to the Wanadoo web site and 'retrieve' your acc. every
90 days, but no need to dial up.
If you want cheap and cheerful WiFi router I would recommend the D-Link 604T
also available bundled with PC Card or USB adapter ~£70 in Dixons, bit
cheaper online.
If you want the best go for Draytek Vigor range, not cheap but has all the
facilities (e.g. printer port) and as it's really office class kit, it's
utterly reliable. You can usually pick them up on Ebay at reasonable prices.
You should consider routers with VoIP ports, which would save you money on
cheap and/or free calls, in which case the Zyxel 2602HWL is worth a look
(even though broadbanbuyer.co.uk has now corrected their price).
If you sign up with PlusNet please use my ID 'wester' as a referrer and save
me few pence,
thanks, regards,
Martin