External Lan cable - WTP?

Old July 3rd 05, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
B Gruff

Default External Lan cable - WTP?

Time and again, I'm asked why one cannot (should not) run a LAN cable
outside the house, i.e. taking the easiest route from one room to
another.

Why is there a problem, and what is it?
Would we be attaching a lightening conductor to the router and
computer? Is it dangerous to the equipment, the person, or both?

- and of course why can one run telephone line, cable TV etc, and
television aerial cable outside with (presumably) impunity?

Asking in complete ignorance!

Bill
Old July 3rd 05, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 15:06:20 +0100, B Gruff
wrote:

Why is there a problem, and what is it?

it looks crap, and going through an outside wall ought not to be
easier and it bridges the cavity wall.

Phil

Old July 3rd 05, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 15:21:54 +0100,it is alleged that Phil Thompson
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

wrote:

Why is there a problem, and what is it?

it looks crap, and going through an outside wall ought not to be
easier and it bridges the cavity wall.

Phil

The reason cited in the US (with their higher frequency of
thunderstorms) is that it *could* get a much higher voltage induced on
it by being outside the 'controlled environment' of someplace indoors.
Having witnessed several dozen such storms, I can see the point,
although I lost a network hub *inside* a building on a LAN that was
NOT connected to the outside world in any way. My theory on that is
that the protection on the hub ports was 'cheaper' than the protection
on the PC NICs, which all survived.

I agree that outside cables look less professional (I wouldn't go so
far as 'crap' if it's done neatly, but this is very much up to the
individual.

--
Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while.
Old July 3rd 05, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 15:24:25 GMT, Chip
wrote:

although I lost a network hub *inside* a building on a LAN that was
NOT connected to the outside world in any way.

wot, no electric ?

Phil

Old July 3rd 05, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 16:35:19 +0100,it is alleged that Phil Thompson

wrote:

although I lost a network hub *inside* a building on a LAN that was
NOT connected to the outside world in any way.

wot, no electric ?

Phil

At the time, no. A feature of the part of Ohio I was in, is the power
goes off during thunderstorms g.

Seriously, it was a bad storm, all the computers were unplugged and so
was the hub. The only way anything could have got in was induction.

The strike that I think caused the damage was onto a power pole ~50
feet from the house, would have caused serious current to be flowing
through the ground under the house.

--
Computers achieved sentience in nineteen seventy five. The reason we're
unaware of this is that they watched TV, saw what we do to sentient
Old July 3rd 05, 07:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 15:06:20 +0100, B Gruff wrote:

Time and again, I'm asked why one cannot (should not) run a LAN cable
outside the house, i.e. taking the easiest route from one room to
another.

Why is there a problem, and what is it?
Would we be attaching a lightening conductor to the router and
computer? Is it dangerous to the equipment, the person, or both?

- and of course why can one run telephone line, cable TV etc, and
television aerial cable outside with (presumably) impunity?

Asking in complete ignorance!

Bill

There is no more likelyhood of it being hit than your tv aerial cable and
if the house gets hit you can say goodbye to most electronic devices
anyway. Most people who go on about this have some sort of issue or they
want to make a name for themselves as doomongers. If the appearance
bothers you then run it in 20mm black plastic conduit.

Dave

Old July 3rd 05, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

"B Gruff" wrote in message
Time and again, I'm asked why one cannot (should not) run a LAN cable
outside the house, i.e. taking the easiest route from one room to
another.

The biggest problem will be how you are going to do it.

Most, if not all, Cat5 cables are not rated for external use & so will break
down, in time, due to UV. There are various ways of getting around this
(i.e using ducting/conduit)..

Now if you are talking about from one house to another that is a completely
different kettle of fish....

Old July 3rd 05, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

B Gruff wrote:

Time and again, I'm asked why one cannot (should not) run a LAN cable
outside the house, i.e. taking the easiest route from one room to
another.

Wires get eaten, possibility of different phase next door house,
lightening attractor, rats love the flavour or Cat5 cable,
etc...

It just isn't a done thing.

I have tried coax ethernet - that seems to be much more resilient
but caused phase related problems. (i.e. you end up getting 340V on
your coax - very low current but still enough to give
an uncomfortable jolt to kids unfamiliar with technology and pets)

Use WiFI with a booster if needs be.
Far safer providing you have enabled simple security.

Old July 4th 05, 03:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike H

"kraftee" [email protected]&die wrote

Most, if not all, Cat5 cables are not rated for external use & so will
break down, in time, due to UV.

External grade UTP cable is available, and the key difference is that it
will not break down under UV light. It is also (as you might expect)
considerably more expensive.

- Mike
PS It is usually black in colour, which rarely matches a house/office
colour.