Tesco selling Linksys adsl modem/wireless router - what opinions?

Old July 4th 05, 02:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
m&m

Default Tesco selling Linksys adsl modem/wireless router - what opinions?

http://www.linksys.com/international...rid=204&coid=6

Old July 4th 05, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 14:17:50 +0100, "m&m" wrote:

http://www.linksys.com/international...rid=204&coid=6

its 50 and the USB or PC card thing to go with it is 25 so not bad
pricewise.

Its a single port ADSL2+ modem / wireless router I believe, so quite
decent.

There are some firmware issues like it not reconnecting automatically
and the system log being empty, reported by users of early models. Not
unusual for v1.0 of anything these days.

Phil
Old July 4th 05, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Lispcombe

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
" its 50 and the USB or PC card thing to go with it is 25 so not bad
pricewise."

Wonder how many clubcard points it's worth and if they will be doing 'buy
one get one free'. - I guess it may be stock left over from the computers
for schools campaign :-)

Old August 16th 05, 08:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Pladgeman

I wonder how Tesco will stack up against the Sale of Goods Act. if you tell
them its for the Tesco BB service.
Tesco BB support does not support routers, so if you have a problem, you are
stuck.

Ps. - The Sale of Goods act requires 'fitness for purpose' as well as
services being of a reasonable standard. If they (Tesco stores and Tesco BB)
cannot provide the service you have paid for, they may be failing in thier
legal obligations.

Old August 16th 05, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 07:57:43 GMT, "David Pladgeman"
wrote:

I wonder how Tesco will stack up against the Sale of Goods Act. if you tell
them its for the Tesco BB service.

the advertising material in store does list some ISPs (can't recall
which) primarily to differentiate the ADSL router from the broadband
(cable) router.

I don't think any ISPs support equipment not bought from the ISP.

The Linksys device is a perfectly sound ADSL modem and "fit for
purpose". It will also work with Tesco or any other ADSL ISP.

not sure how you "tell them" anything as you pick the thing off the
shelf. If you ask hard questions of the till girl you'll be told they
can't answer your question. In any event they will take it back
happily, as they do with returned goods generally.

Tesco BB support does not support routers, so if you have a problem, you are
stuck.

there's Linksys support and the usual channels by which people get
support.

Or take it back.

Phil

Old August 16th 05, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

I wonder how Tesco will stack up against the Sale of Goods Act. if you
tell
them its for the Tesco BB service.

They wil tell you as you have pointed out that their support line does ot
support routers.

Tesco BB support does not support routers, so if you have a problem, you

are
stuck.

Yep

Ps. - The Sale of Goods act requires 'fitness for purpose' as well as
services being of a reasonable standard. If they (Tesco stores and Tesco

BB)
cannot provide the service you have paid for, they may be failing in thier
legal obligations.

They have sold you a BB package
&
They have sold you a router.
But they have not sold you a packge of the two.
And both are fit for purpose, as they both will work individually and
together, But if used together they(ISP) will not support issues with the
router. And you acepted this when you signed up to the BB package. It would
be very different if they were sold as a package but they are not.