Belkin ADSL Wireless Router - Help please!

Old July 4th 05, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Victor Delta

Default Belkin ADSL Wireless Router - Help please!

I have a Fast 4 ADSL 512 connection which has worked pretty well over the
last year or so. However, I have spent the last 48 hours trying to install a
Belkin ADSL Wireless Router and although it connects to the internet
periodically (and quite fast at times) for a few moments, most of the time
it disconnects itself which is very frustrating indeed (despite all the
encouraging green lights on the front of the box). This affects both the pc
connected to the router and the laptop connected by wireless.

I have tried everything in the userguide and onscreen help (when I can
connect) and finally called the Belkin helpline. After taking me back
through everything I had already done, the answer I was firmly given was to
fully uninstall ZoneAlarm and disable the Windows Firewall, and all would be
well. Needless to say, it has not solved the problem.

Can anyone suggest anything I might try to improve matters please?

Old July 4th 05, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 17:29:26 +0100, "Victor Delta"
wrote:

Can anyone suggest anything I might try to improve matters please?

not clear - is the ADSL connection staying up ? or just the TCP/IP
traffic stalling ?

which model is it

Phil
Old July 4th 05, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Victor Delta

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message

not clear - is the ADSL connection staying up ? or just the TCP/IP
traffic stalling ?

The ADSL connection is fine (judging by the green lights) but the TCP/IP
traffic comes in very short bursts when i'm liucky - perkaps 2-5 secs every
minute. The browser interface keeps changing Internet status to 'No
coonnectionm'.

which model is it

F5D7632-4

Would it help matters to change the MTU setting - current 1492?

PS I've just connected my 'old' ADSL modem and all working 100% on this pc -
very frustrating!

Old July 4th 05, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GrahamW

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 17:29:26 +0100, Victor Delta wrote:

[...]

Download the latest firmware from Belkin for your router. There has been
problems in the past with some Belkin kit being unreliable. The firmware
upgrade fixes this.

Graham

Old July 4th 05, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Victor Delta

"GrahamW" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 17:29:26 +0100, Victor Delta wrote:

Download the latest firmware from Belkin for your router. There has been
problems in the past with some Belkin kit being unreliable. The firmware
upgrade fixes this.

Thanks, but the firmware version supplied is AR.0.01.08UK (Oct 27 2004
01:03:29) and, search as I might on the website, sadly there appears to be
no upgrade yet
available for this particular router.

Old July 4th 05, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 20:02:14 +0100, "Victor Delta"
wrote:

F5D7632-4

can you extract line stats from that
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthre...mber=18599 76
command line interface / telnet access :-(

Would it help matters to change the MTU setting - current 1492?

could do, I would either make it 1500 to match the PC or set the PC to
match it. 1492 is a PPPoE value really.

Phil

Old July 4th 05, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Victor Delta" wrote in message
Download the latest firmware from Belkin for your router. There has been
problems in the past with some Belkin kit being unreliable. The firmware
upgrade fixes this.

Thanks, but the firmware version supplied is AR.0.01.08UK (Oct 27 2004
01:03:29) and, search as I might on the website, sadly there appears to be
no upgrade yet
available for this particular router.

F5D7632-4 firmware upgrade at
http://www.belkin.com/support/downlo...ad=1611&lang=1

Its dated 3/2/2005

Regards
Sunil

Old July 4th 05, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
F5D7632-4 firmware upgrade at

Sorry - thats the manual :/

Have you tried calling Belkin on their 00800 number - they may have some
beta firmware they can send you.

Regards
Sunil

Old July 5th 05, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Victor Delta

Thanks. I'll ask them.

In the meantime, the connection is very odd. When one clicks on
anything, one gets a short burst of download (varying from say 20k to
200k) and then it stops abruptly.

Have changed to MTU to 1500 but this doesn't seem to make much
difference.

Any other ideas please?

Old July 5th 05, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 5 Jul 2005 01:58:16 -0700, "Victor Delta"
wrote:

Have changed to MTU to 1500 but this doesn't seem to make much
difference.

Any other ideas please?

set MTU of both router and PC to 1430 ?

Phil