Help with Onetel adsl setup

Old July 4th 05, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

Default Help with Onetel adsl setup

Hi
My niece has just signed up with Onetel Broadband and we have replaced
the supplied usb modem with an ADSL Modem Wireless Router. We are
having great difficulty in getting it to connect and have not been
able to get ant satisfactory help from Onetel apart from them saying
that the type of modem we have can be used with their system. The
modem is a Mentor ADSL-MR4CWGII/UK. Would welcome ant help with
regards to the settings needed to get it up and running.
TIA Tony
Old July 4th 05, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 22:19:40 +0100, Tony wrote:

We are
having great difficulty in getting it to connect

did the USB thing work ? using the help you are paying for to get that
going would be my first choice, if it won't connect to the exchange
the ISP may need to send BT out.

Phil

Old July 5th 05, 08:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

I use Onetel and found it all worked "first time" (Netgear DG384G, never
even tried the USB modem!). However Phil has already sensibly suggested
making sure that the supplied USB modem works. This is a good idea for you
since you have two unknowns - is the ASDL connection working and is your
modem working. Changing the modem will answer which of these it is. But
even before trying something this, I have to ask a silly question.

When I signed up, I was given a date and time by which the service would be
up. This was about 3 weeks in the future and the ADSL didn't come up until
about an hour before the assigned time and date. Are you sure "your time
has come"?

Paul DS.

Old July 5th 05, 08:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

Forgot to add, if any of your friends report non-delivery reports sending to
your e-mail, please let me know. I've had some problems which Onetel are
looking at but any further evidence of issues would be gratefully received.

Paul DS.

Old July 5th 05, 11:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Euclid

Can't help, but I've had the same thing with Wanadoo. The wireless router
won't train up and synchronise on the line. Their Speedtouch modem does
connect, but the synch times are random. They say that if their modem
connects they won't support others although it should work. Catch 22 !!!!

Old July 6th 05, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 08:55:28 +0100, "Paul D.Smith"
wrote:

I use Onetel and found it all worked "first time" (Netgear DG384G, never
even tried the USB modem!). However Phil has already sensibly suggested
making sure that the supplied USB modem works. This is a good idea for you
since you have two unknowns - is the ASDL connection working and is your
modem working. Changing the modem will answer which of these it is. But
even before trying something this, I have to ask a silly question.

When I signed up, I was given a date and time by which the service would be
up. This was about 3 weeks in the future and the ADSL didn't come up until
about an hour before the assigned time and date. Are you sure "your time
has come"?

Paul DS.

Hi Paul.
Yes the USB modem worked OK, no problems. With reference to your
Netgear modem do you connect it to your PC via a network card and to a
laptop via the wireless route if you have one. Also we have bought a
Netgear modem the same as yours, so was wondering if it would be
possible to let me know the settings you used minus of course any
personal details you had to enter in the modem set up, would be very
grateful..
Regards
Tony

Old July 6th 05, 01:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

Tony,

My modem is connected to PCs both via ethernet (to ethernet cards on the PC)
and via wireless. Configuration is much simpler by ethernet since it's very
easy to disconnect yourself from the wireless and mess the config
sufficiently for the wireless to fail to reconnect.

My config worked "out of the box" apart from configuring the account name
and password which Onetel sent on a credit card sized plastic card. Enter
absolutely everything as I have this vague memory that the account name was
something like [email protected] and you want everything, not just the "noddy"
part.

I have DHCP upstream enabled and the NAT function enabled - but even this
was the standard config.

I would recommend you do the following.

1. Plug the Netgear in to the ADSL socket and the PC via ethernet.
2. Perform a hard reset using the little button on the back.
3. When it's rebooted, get the config screen up in IE (http://192.168.0.1)
and configure the ADSL account name and password.
4. Click OK - it should then connect after a few moments.

BTW, Are you using WinXP? I have a Win NT v4.0 box and it has to be
rebooted after each router reboot because it fails to restart DHCP etc.
correctly. A WinNT issue, not the routers.

I'll take a look tonight to confirm that there is nothing else that I
touched, but nothing springs to mind.

Paul DS.

Old July 8th 05, 08:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

Tony,

Did you get your modem & Onetel to talk?

Paul DS

Old July 8th 05, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 08:41:37 +0100, "Paul D.Smith"
wrote:

Tony,

Did you get your modem & Onetel to talk?

Paul DS

Hi Paul.
Setting up the Netgear modem was a dream it did it all automatically.
The problem now is setting up the Toshiba Laptop to talk to the modem
via its in built wireless modem. Any thoughts on this one. Thanks so
far for your help.
Regards
Tony