PlusNet Upgrade Query

Old July 5th 05, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SparkysDream

Default PlusNet Upgrade Query

I'm just about to migrate to PlusNet's BB+ service, and will pay 14.99 to
be regraded from 1MB to 2MB. They state that migration is free as long as I
stay for 12 months. After I migrate, should the service not be suitable for
my needs after a month, will I be able to upgrade to their Premier 21.99
service free of charge, or will I be subject to fees?

Old July 5th 05, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

"SparkysDream" wrote in
:

I'm just about to migrate to PlusNet's BB+ service, and will pay
14.99 to be regraded from 1MB to 2MB. They state that migration is
free as long as I stay for 12 months. After I migrate, should the
service not be suitable for my needs after a month, will I be able to
upgrade to their Premier 21.99 service free of charge, or will I be
subject to fees?

I think upgrades in service (at the same speed) are free.

--
Phil
http://www.philipchung.co.uk/
Old July 5th 05, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Phil wrote:

"SparkysDream" wrote in
:

I'm just about to migrate to PlusNet's BB+ service, and will pay
14.99 to be regraded from 1MB to 2MB. They state that migration is
free as long as I stay for 12 months. After I migrate, should the
service not be suitable for my needs after a month, will I be able to
upgrade to their Premier 21.99 service free of charge, or will I be
subject to fees?

I think upgrades in service (at the same speed) are free.

They are are the moment, but - based on PN's propensity for moving the
goalposts - there's no guarantee that they will be in 12 months time!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 5th 05, 12:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SparkysDream

"Phil" wrote......

I'm just about to migrate to PlusNet's BB+ service, and will pay
14.99 to be regraded from 1MB to 2MB. They state that migration is
free as long as I stay for 12 months. After I migrate, should the

I think upgrades in service (at the same speed) are free.

Would I have to repay the 14.99 migration waiver if I upgrade?
Technically, I wouldn't have stayed on that service for 12 months, although
I plan to stay with the ISP for at least 12 months.

ie
July/Aug05 - Migrate from Pipex to PN BB+ (14.99 regrade, 14.99 migration
waiver)
Sept05 - Upgrade to PN Premier (free upgrade - same speed)

Old July 5th 05, 12:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

SparkysDream wrote:
I'm just about to migrate to PlusNet's BB+ service, and will pay 14.99 to
be regraded from 1MB to 2MB. They state that migration is free as long as I
stay for 12 months. After I migrate, should the service not be suitable for
my needs after a month, will I be able to upgrade to their Premier 21.99
service free of charge, or will I be subject to fees?

Hi there,

It would be free, yes.

Kind Regards,

Old July 5th 05, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 12:19:44 +0100, "SparkysDream" wrote:

"Phil" wrote......

I'm just about to migrate to PlusNet's BB+ service, and will pay
14.99 to be regraded from 1MB to 2MB. They state that migration is
free as long as I stay for 12 months. After I migrate, should the

I think upgrades in service (at the same speed) are free.

Would I have to repay the 14.99 migration waiver if I upgrade?

I doubt it - that's really to claw back the cost if you left the service to go
to some other ISP. I have queried the fact that under Plus.Net's "Guarantee"
(of customer satisfaction, applicable only to new customers :-) PN have a
charge of 14.99 for migrating to their service, but will pay out a max.
of 12.99 (one needs a receipt for the migration fee, from the new ISP, so
it's a bit of a "jump through hoops" and you still pay out a couple of quid
for the privilege!)

Technically, I wouldn't have stayed on that service for 12 months, although
I plan to stay with the ISP for at least 12 months.

July/Aug05 - Migrate from Pipex to PN BB+ (14.99 regrade, 14.99 migration
waiver) Sept05 - Upgrade to PN Premier (free upgrade - same speed)

Yes, that should work out OK for you... Where upgrades cost more they don't
add some admin fee... only when you come down or pay the same is there a fee
('usually', in case I've overlooked some combination :-)

Good luck! Peter (on 2000 kbps Broadband Plus as I type this)... Out of
interest, what sort of things do you use that might make it "not suitable"
for you ? I don't use peer-to-peer and have not downloaded much from any
binary newsgroups in the last X months, but traffic reported by Plus.Net
shows around 4 GB over a few days (but 1.8 GB yesterday and about 350 MB
on Sunday seemed odd, it might be that records for Sunday all came in
late, as there was some maintenance work being done by BT on their end,
but for the Plus.Net connection, 500 - 800 MB a day is to be expected).

Old July 5th 05, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SparkysDream

"poster" .......

Out of
interest, what sort of things do you use that might make it "not suitable"
for you ? I don't use peer-to-peer and have not downloaded much from any
binary newsgroups in the last X months, but traffic reported by Plus.Net

Online gaming over xbox live basically. Although plusnet advise gamers
towards their premier service, I have had a few reports from people who use
it on BB+ with no problems at all - even during peak hours. Admittedly my
gaming usage will only be the odd hour or two over a week, it will be at
peak times.

My idea is to basically try BB+ as it's dead cheap, and if I get problems
then to upgrade to premier (which is still cheaper than 1MB at pipex).

Looking at the PN signup pages, I see it offers a preorder of 4MB at 24.99
a month. Do they charge the extra tenner while you are waiting for 4MB
services to become available, or do you only pay the 2MB fee until then?
Presumably you do not have to pay to be regraded afterwards?

Luckily I can migrate from pipex a couple of months early due to changes in
their terms and conditions. I rang up earlier and had confirmation that
they will not claw back the connection fee if you request a MAC within the
first two weeks of July. So I did.

Incidentally it took quite some time to get through to pipex - when I wasn't
getting an engaged tone, I was getting a recorded message stating an
exceptionally high quantity of calls, and it cut me off. When I finally did
get top speak to someone, the operator sounded pretty stressed out, and she
didn't even offer any incentives to stay.

Old July 6th 05, 04:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 5 Jul 2005 13:55, "SparkysDream" wrote:

Looking at the PN signup pages, I see it offers a preorder of 4MB at 24.99
a month. Do they charge the extra tenner while you are waiting for 4MB
services to become available, or do you only pay the 2MB fee until then?

If they accept the order, they'll take the higher fee. There's little chance
of much happening on the 2000 kbps front for a number of months, so it'd be
money wasted, IMO.

Presumably you do not have to pay to be regraded afterwards?

No, that's the only benefit, but it does seem rather odd to take the money,
while in the full knowledge that the regrade won't be 'anytime soon' (at
least, as we write this in July)...

Luckily I can migrate from pipex a couple of months early ...

Good for you :-) I trust you'll enjoy the higher speed / low price combo.

the operator sounded pretty stressed out, ...

perhaps there are staff on holiday already, and workload up as a result...

Old July 6th 05, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SparkysDream

"poster" wrote......

No, that's the only benefit, but it does seem rather odd to take the

money,
while in the full knowledge that the regrade won't be 'anytime soon' (at
least, as we write this in July)...

This seems really strange, but if plusnet are happy to take peoples money
for nothing with a clear conscience... especially as it is only 15 to
regrade - they'll make this back in 6 weeks and higher speeds aren't
expected until the end of the year. still if people are stupid enough to do
it, they deserve all they get...

Good for you :-) I trust you'll enjoy the higher speed / low price combo.

Actually it's even better - as I connect at 2MB with pipex throttling me
back to 1MB, I don't have to pay the 15 for a regrade!

the operator sounded pretty stressed out, ...

perhaps there are staff on holiday already, and workload up as a result...

apparently the helpdesk have "never known it to be so busy."

Old July 6th 05, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 6 Jul 2005 14:12, "SparkysDream" wrote:

still if people are stupid enough to do it, they deserve all they get...

Unfortunately, Plus.Net still doesn't seem to have notified people who are
on their 1000 and 2000 kbps services (at 29.99 and 39.99) that they could
pay only 21.99 for a similar service (I won't say 'same' as there's some
chance that's incorrect, when switching to the Premier account from any
older account type). There has been criticism on ADSLguide about it,
and negative comments from users (who believe it morally wrong). Also,
in those cases it isn't that these are people signing up for something not
available, but still on an old account... for new people signing up, if they
ask, they might at least be steered to paying for only the 21.99 account for
the immediate period and paying a regrade fee if they decide they want the
higher speed account (as and when it might be available, in 2006, maybe).

apparently the helpdesk have "never known it to be so busy."

I bet they say that at Bulldog, too :-) Peter M.