Basic broadband questions

Old July 5th 05, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Basic broadband questions

I plan to enter the broadband world - but I am lost in a sea of
information. I have a laptop with USB and a network card. The only
thing I am sure of is that I want to go wireless. I'm hoping someone
out there can direct me in the best direction -

(1) Do I need a Router or a Broadband Modem?
(2) If a Router is the best option, would I be better with an Ethernet
or a USB one (or maybe there are other options?)?
(3) I'm looking around for a good deal from an ISP. I'm thinking 512K -
1MB, prefer no cap but not the main factor, and I hear that contention
rates are important. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Paul

Old July 5th 05, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob C

I plan to enter the broadband world - but I am lost in a sea of
information. I have a laptop with USB and a network card. The only
thing I am sure of is that I want to go wireless. I'm hoping someone
out there can direct me in the best direction -

(1) Do I need a Router or a Broadband Modem?

You can get a combined ADSL modem and wireless router in one unit. If your
intention is to go wireless, this is your best option.

(2) If a Router is the best option, would I be better with an Ethernet
or a USB one (or maybe there are other options?)?

Assuming you're going to have a wired connection from the router to the PC,
the ethernet option will be faster and use fewer resources.

(3) I'm looking around for a good deal from an ISP. I'm thinking 512K -
1MB, prefer no cap but not the main factor, and I hear that contention
rates are important. Any recommendations?

Have a look at www.adslguide.org.uk and look at the comparison tables.
You'll see some useful feedback there about different ISPs.

Old July 5th 05, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On 5 Jul 2005 09:11:08 -0700,it is alleged that
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

I plan to enter the broadband world - but I am lost in a sea of
information. I have a laptop with USB and a network card. The only
thing I am sure of is that I want to go wireless. I'm hoping someone
out there can direct me in the best direction -

(1) Do I need a Router or a Broadband Modem?

For the setup you describe, a wireless dsl router would be best for
you, it combines the features of a DSL modem, router (in case you ever
get more than one PC, and also useful on standalone setups for the
firewalling properties) and the wireless access point at a lower cost
than separate devices.

(2) If a Router is the best option, would I be better with an Ethernet
or a USB one (or maybe there are other options?)?

There are probably other options, but if you have a wired setup at any
point (maybe for a fixed desktop/tower pc), ethernet is much better,
no messing with having to install drivers for the USB part on your pc.
Admittedly you need drivers for the network card but they are
generally far less hassle, and often these days it happens
automagically with XP.

(3) I'm looking around for a good deal from an ISP. I'm thinking 512K -
1MB, prefer no cap but not the main factor, and I hear that contention
rates are important. Any recommendations?

Others have far more detailed opinions on this than me, I just know I
wouldn't recommend AOL broadband unless the person was my enemy g.

--
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what
the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be
Old July 5th 05, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 5 Jul 2005 09:11:08 -0700, wrote:

(1) Do I need a Router or a Broadband Modem?

you need a combined ADSL modem and wireless router like a Linksys
WAG54g
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...ys-wag-54g.asp

do not buy a "broadband router" as these often don't have modems. Look
for a phone socket and G.gmt in the specs.

(2) If a Router is the best option, would I be better with an Ethernet
or a USB one (or maybe there are other options?)?

you want to connect wirelessly but its a good idea to have a wired
ethernet connection for setting up purposes. If you have ethernet on
the laptop don't bother about a USB connection.

(3) I'm looking around for a good deal from an ISP. I'm thinking 512K -
1MB, prefer no cap but not the main factor, and I hear that contention
rates are important. Any recommendations?

avoid datastream - Tiscali, NTL Freedom, Tesco, Virgin, EFH

Home circuits are "up to" 50:1 contention but more like 15:1 - 25:1
in practice. Plusnet 14.99/month with exit fee for early release will
connect you at 2M. Similarly Demon with 12 month contract at
19.99/month. At least 100 others to choose from :-(

AOL 17.99/month at 1M no cap.

Phil

Old July 5th 05, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
keymaster

wrote in message oups.com...
I plan to enter the broadband world - but I am lost in a sea of
information. I have a laptop with USB and a network card. The only
thing I am sure of is that I want to go wireless. I'm hoping someone
out there can direct me in the best direction -

(1) Do I need a Router or a Broadband Modem?

Wireless router best for future plans
(2) If a Router is the best option, would I be better with an Ethernet
or a USB one (or maybe there are other options?)?

Ethernet
(3) I'm looking around for a good deal from an ISP. I'm thinking 512K -
1MB, prefer no cap but not the main factor, and I hear that contention
rates are important. Any recommendations?
Deffo Plusnet - I been happy for ages and they have packages for everybody- If u do sign up please consider saying I recommended you and save me 50p (username satellite)
Thanks,
Paul

good luck
Roy
Old July 5th 05, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 17:55:02 +0100, "keymaster"

how sad, I didn't get to read your referral spam.

Phil