Do you...

Old July 5th 05, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brett...

Default Do you...

....unplug your ADSL router from the phone connection during a thunderstorm?

I do after having lost a Pace 56K modem during a storm a few years ago.
Actually it wasn't a storm as such, just a single clap of thunder but you
get my drift.

--

Brett

Old July 5th 05, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Brett... wrote:
...unplug your ADSL router from the phone connection during a thunderstorm?

I do after having lost a Pace 56K modem during a storm a few years ago.
Actually it wasn't a storm as such, just a single clap of thunder but you
get my drift.

I have a surge protector.

Kind Regards,

Old July 5th 05, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jasper

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:46:45 +0100, PlusNet Support Team
wrote:

Brett... wrote:
...unplug your ADSL router from the phone connection during a thunderstorm?

I do after having lost a Pace 56K modem during a storm a few years ago.
Actually it wasn't a storm as such, just a single clap of thunder but you
get my drift.

I have a surge protector.

Kind Regards,

Surely a thunderstorm would result in a spike rather than a surge ?

Jasper

Old July 5th 05, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Brett..." wrote in message
...unplug your ADSL router from the phone connection during a

thunderstorm?

I do after having lost a Pace 56K modem during a storm a few years ago.
Actually it wasn't a storm as such, just a single clap of thunder but you
get my drift.

--

Brett

YES, not in use - unplug everything ! (and I have a surge strip)
Dave

Old July 5th 05, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob Gibson

"Dave" wrote in message
"Brett..." wrote in message
...unplug your ADSL router from the phone connection during a

thunderstorm?

I do after having lost a Pace 56K modem during a storm a few years ago.
Actually it wasn't a storm as such, just a single clap of thunder but you
get my drift.

--

Brett

YES, not in use - unplug everything ! (and I have a surge strip)
Dave

Disconnect! I have a surge protector and UPS, but when the fireworks start I
run for cover. Unplug the mains too.

Rob.

Old July 6th 05, 01:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

NO, I don't read posts with NO ( intelligible ) subject...

Old July 6th 05, 08:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Martin²" wrote in message
NO, I don't read posts with NO ( intelligible ) subject...

And you contradict yourself ! ;-)

Old July 6th 05, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

"Brett..." wrote in message
...unplug your ADSL router from the phone connection during a
thunderstorm?

I do after having lost a Pace 56K modem during a storm a few years ago.
Actually it wasn't a storm as such, just a single clap of thunder but you
get my drift.

Ok do I unplug all the phones and modems and TV aerials.... NO.
I have insurance, I sit in the conservatory and watch the storm.

H.

Old July 6th 05, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 10:23:12 +0100, "Harry"
wrote:

"Brett..." wrote in message
...unplug your ADSL router from the phone connection during a
thunderstorm?

I do after having lost a Pace 56K modem during a storm a few years ago.
Actually it wasn't a storm as such, just a single clap of thunder but you
get my drift.

Ok do I unplug all the phones and modems and TV aerials.... NO.
I have insurance, I sit in the conservatory and watch the storm.

That was what the students were doing when the Multiplexer next to
them burst into flames during a thunderstorm (I was sent to 'repair'
it .. .. it went straight in the skip after the Insurance Co had
looked at it).

AFAIK, there isn't a devce yet invented (fuse, NLR, FET etc) that can
react fast enough to truely protect against a lightening induced spike
(but these 'surge protectors' may help lower the impact).

All the best ..

T i m
Old July 6th 05, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"Brett..." wrote in message
...unplug your ADSL router from the phone connection during a
thunderstorm?

I do after having lost a Pace 56K modem during a storm a few years ago.
Actually it wasn't a storm as such, just a single clap of thunder but you
get my drift.

If I'm not downloading anything urgent I power-down and unplug from the
mains.

(kim)