30 Days notice

Old July 5th 05, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DB

Default 30 Days notice

I am currently with Plusnet for Broadband. I am out of my 1 year
contract and I have got a good deal with NTL for broadband. On the
plusnet site it says I have to give 30 days notice which I have done
but they are insisting on 52 days notice. I normally pay my bill on
the 15th of the month, I gave them 30 days notice on the 22nd of the
month. It appears that they are charging me for the 3 weeks left in
this payment period and then a full 30 days notice after that. On
their site it just says you must give 30 days notice. Can they do
this to me or must I just accept this? I would appreciate advice on
what I can do. Many thanks
Dave

Old July 5th 05, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

DB wrote:

I am currently with Plusnet for Broadband. I am out of my 1 year
contract and I have got a good deal with NTL for broadband. On the
plusnet site it says I have to give 30 days notice which I have done
but they are insisting on 52 days notice. I normally pay my bill on
the 15th of the month, I gave them 30 days notice on the 22nd of the
month. It appears that they are charging me for the 3 weeks left in
this payment period and then a full 30 days notice after that. On
their site it just says you must give 30 days notice. Can they do
this to me or must I just accept this? I would appreciate advice on
what I can do. Many thanks
Dave

I suspect that somewhere in the T&C's (although I can't find it in a quick
trawl) there'll be a clause which says that any charges which would normally
be due during the notice period will continue to be due. So if a billing
date occurs half-way through your notice period, they'll still take a full
month's service charge - so you are paying for a month and a half's worth
after you gave notice. It's best to give notice immediately before a billing
date.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 5th 05, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

DB wrote:
I am currently with Plusnet for Broadband. I am out of my 1 year
contract and I have got a good deal with NTL for broadband. On the
plusnet site it says I have to give 30 days notice which I have done
but they are insisting on 52 days notice. I normally pay my bill on
the 15th of the month, I gave them 30 days notice on the 22nd of the
month. It appears that they are charging me for the 3 weeks left in
this payment period and then a full 30 days notice after that. On
their site it just says you must give 30 days notice. Can they do
this to me or must I just accept this? I would appreciate advice on
what I can do. Many thanks
Dave

If you are paying by Direct Debit - just cancel the mandate with your bank.

If you are paying by Credit Card - you're stuffed... you can't cancel this
arrangement with your CreditCard company

That's why I changed from CC to DD - that way *I'M* in charge!

Old July 5th 05, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Chapman

In article , Tiscali Tim
wrote:

I suspect that somewhere in the T&C's (although I can't find it in a quick
trawl) there'll be a clause which says that any charges which would normally
be due during the notice period will continue to be due. So if a billing
date occurs half-way through your notice period, they'll still take a full
month's service charge - so you are paying for a month and a half's worth
after you gave notice. It's best to give notice immediately before a billing
date.

Whe I migrated from Plusnet to Zen they did charge me a full month even
though I migrated about 10 days before my billing date. I raised a
ticket to query this and was told it was correct. Hoever, a qucik
whinge in the Plusnet forum on www.adslguide.org solicited a response
from Bob Pullen of Plusnet who said this wasn't correct and he arranged
a pro rata refund.

--
Adrian

"Theory and practice are the same in theory, but different in practice"
Old July 5th 05, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Paul King wrote:

If you are paying by Direct Debit - just cancel the mandate with your bank.

I certainly wouldn't advise that as any debt owed we pass on to debt
recovery agents. We are unable to take part payments and the T's & C's
dictate that any monies that would normally be owed in the notice period
are taken in full.

Raise a ticket and let me know your username in this thread though and I
shall see what can be done.

Can I ask why you chose NTL???

Kind Regards,

Old July 5th 05, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DB

Hi Bob
I've already raised two tickets. 16853884 and 16866912 one of which Plusnet
closed. My Username is brockdave. I must admit I've been very happy with
Plusnet in my year with them but it's all been spoilt by this episode. The
reason I am going back to NTL is because the telephone service I get from BT
isn't as good as NTL. I rang BT to enquire about an extension and they
wanted 120. With NTL I have got a very good deal on telephone and
broadband. If Plusnet could run off an NTL line I would stop with them but
unfortunately it doesn't which is the only reason I'm leaving.
Thanks
Dave

Old July 6th 05, 04:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 05 Jul 2005 22:12 GMT, "DB" wrote:

I rang BT to enquire about an extension and they wanted 120.

Unless there is a really awkward route, I'd have thought a DIY phone
extension kit for under 15 quid would have been the easiest and much
cheaper than getting BT in to do the work. BICBW. Peter.

--

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old July 6th 05, 10:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

DB wrote:
Hi Bob
I've already raised two tickets. 16853884 and 16866912 one of which Plusnet
closed. My Username is brockdave. I must admit I've been very happy with
Plusnet in my year with them but it's all been spoilt by this episode. The
reason I am going back to NTL is because the telephone service I get from BT
isn't as good as NTL. I rang BT to enquire about an extension and they
wanted 120. With NTL I have got a very good deal on telephone and
broadband. If Plusnet could run off an NTL line I would stop with them but

As an ntl user, I earnestly suggest you reconsider. I suppose it's
possible BT's customer service is worse than ntl, but it's hard to
imagine. With (cable) bb failing regularly, transparent web proxies
that regularly fall over, an email service second to none, and a vicious
cap on the low-speed connection, this ntl user is seriously thinking of
moving the other way.

Or maybe it's a case of greener grass.........

I certainly wouldn't advise that as any debt owed we pass on to debt
recovery agents. We are unable to take part payments and the T's & C's
dictate that any monies that would normally be owed in the notice period
are taken in full.

I'm no lawyer, but that sounds faintly illegal to me. And as Plusnet is
high on my list of possible places to go to, I find your comment
disturbing - I'd not sign up to a company with any T&C like that in place.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old July 6th 05, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

poster wrote:
On 05 Jul 2005 22:12 GMT, "DB" wrote:

I rang BT to enquire about an extension and they wanted 120.

Unless there is a really awkward route, I'd have thought a DIY phone
extension kit for under 15 quid would have been the easiest and much
cheaper than getting BT in to do the work. BICBW. Peter.

Or for 120 buy a quad pack of digital cordless phones?

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old July 6th 05, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

PlusNet Support Team wrote:

I certainly wouldn't advise that as any debt owed we pass on to debt
recovery agents. We are unable to take part payments and the T's & C's
dictate that any monies that would normally be owed in the notice period
are taken in full.

Can you say where exactly that is in your T&C's please? I've just had a
look, and can find nothing. The nearest relevant item seems to be

"9.5 If you have paid any charges for a period after the end of the
Contract we will either repay it or put it towards any money you owe us."

which suggests the opposite in effect.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)