USB Drivers -- A curious error message.

Old July 5th 05, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G. Bell

Default USB Drivers -- A curious error message.

Since the problem seems to be associated with whether or not a phone is
plugged into a particular microfilter, I suspect the microfilter is a
bit dodgy, but the actual error message from the USB driver seems
misleading.

Not enough USB bandwidth.

It's a bijou Sagem [email protected] boxette, using USB. Once the phone was
disconnected, everything works, and there are other phones on another
filter, with no problems.

The error message is no help at all.

"I am Number Two," said Penfold. "You are Number Six."
Old July 6th 05, 12:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

"David G. Bell" wrote:
Since the problem seems to be associated with whether or not a phone is
plugged into a particular microfilter, I suspect the microfilter is a
bit dodgy, but the actual error message from the USB driver seems
misleading.

Not enough USB bandwidth.

It's a bijou Sagem [email protected] boxette, using USB. Once the phone was
disconnected, everything works, and there are other phones on another
filter, with no problems.

USB bandwidth is 12Mbits or so.
It requires each device to set in advance how much bandwidth it's going
to use, as it's a time-switched bus.
Unplug everything but the device in question from the USB port.
Old July 8th 05, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Zerafa

Hi,

Are you using Windows XP Gold (e.g. no service packs installed) ?

If so then there is an undocumented bug with some USB implimentations which
causes issues when devices switch from bulk to isochronos transfers which
cause USB devices to fail.

The solution is to upgrade to XP SP1 (or SP2).

Kind Regards

Simon

Old July 9th 05, 12:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G. Bell

On Friday, in article

"Simon Zerafa" wrote:

Hi,

Are you using Windows XP Gold (e.g. no service packs installed) ?

If so then there is an undocumented bug with some USB implimentations which
causes issues when devices switch from bulk to isochronos transfers which
cause USB devices to fail.

The solution is to upgrade to XP SP1 (or SP2).

Using XP SP2.

It seems that the microfilters supplied were not quite good enough, as a
replacement stopped the problem happening.

"I am Number Two," said Penfold. "You are Number Six."
Old July 9th 05, 01:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G. Bell

Default Possible extension fault? (Was USB Drivers)

On Wednesday, in article

"David G. Bell" wrote:

On Tuesday, in article

"David G. Bell" wrote:

Since the problem seems to be associated with whether or not a phone is
plugged into a particular microfilter, I suspect the microfilter is a
bit dodgy, but the actual error message from the USB driver seems
misleading.

Not enough USB bandwidth.

It's a bijou Sagem [email protected] boxette, using USB. Once the phone was
disconnected, everything works, and there are other phones on another
filter, with no problems.

The error message is no help at all.

OK, both the microfilters work fine at the master socket, where the ADSL
modem and one phone are connected.

Neither works at any of the extension sockets, wuth various phones
connected, but I haven't checked if ADSL will work from an extension
socket.

I reckon this rules out the problem as being a particular phone or
microfilter, but may indicate a fault in the extension wiring.

Might a filter built into the master socket, keeping ADSL frequencies
away from the potential fault, solve the problem?

And what sort of extension wiring fault might only show when a phone is
connected?

Buying another microfilter seems to have got things into a workable
state.

In the process, I found that the local DIY shop (a local business)
stocked microfilter faceplates for the standard extension sockets, not
something I recall seeing in the big DIY warehouse places.

"I am Number Two," said Penfold. "You are Number Six."