DG384G bandwidth monitor?

Old July 6th 05, 08:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

Default DG384G bandwidth monitor?

Please note that I need an _instantaneous bandwidth_ monitor and not a
"number of bytes sent this month" usage monitor.

Anyone know a way to monitor the bandwidth usage of a DG384G? It doesn't
need to be in real time, that is I'm happy to read the figures off-line
later but I do want to see what bandwidth a video VoIP call consumes from my
ADSL line.

Thanks,
Paul DS.
--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Old July 6th 05, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in
et:

Please note that I need an _instantaneous bandwidth_ monitor and not a
"number of bytes sent this month" usage monitor.

Anyone know a way to monitor the bandwidth usage of a DG384G? It
doesn't need to be in real time, that is I'm happy to read the figures
off-line later but I do want to see what bandwidth a video VoIP call
consumes from my ADSL line.

I believe the DG834G supports SNMP so you could use something like PRTG:
http://www.paessler.com/prtg

--
Phil
http://www.philipchung.co.uk/
Old July 6th 05, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Jones

Phil wrote:
"Paul D.Smith" wrote in
et:

Please note that I need an _instantaneous bandwidth_ monitor and not a
"number of bytes sent this month" usage monitor.

Anyone know a way to monitor the bandwidth usage of a DG384G? It
doesn't need to be in real time, that is I'm happy to read the figures
off-line later but I do want to see what bandwidth a video VoIP call
consumes from my ADSL line.

I believe the DG834G supports SNMP so you could use something like PRTG:
http://www.paessler.com/prtg

STG does realtime monitoring, it does depend on SNMP
http://leonidvm.chat.ru/

Ian
Old July 6th 05, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

Thanks for the links. I'll take a look.

Paul DS.

Old July 6th 05, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Phil wrote:
:
: I believe the DG834G supports SNMP so you could use something like PRTG:
: http://www.paessler.com/prtg

No it does not! But Netgear have been working a lot on its software
recently (to add VPN) so people live in hope that they might also add
SNMP sometime!

Theer is a router status screen of current traffic and, as it is a Linux
based router, there is a debug mode (see Google) which can enable incoming
telnet into the router - when Linux commands like "ifconfig" will also show
traffic.
Old July 6th 05, 11:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"Phil" wrote in message
"Paul D.Smith" wrote in
et:

Please note that I need an _instantaneous bandwidth_ monitor and not a
"number of bytes sent this month" usage monitor.

Anyone know a way to monitor the bandwidth usage of a DG384G? It
doesn't need to be in real time, that is I'm happy to read the figures
off-line later but I do want to see what bandwidth a video VoIP call
consumes from my ADSL line.

I believe the DG834G supports SNMP

I believe you are WRONG. If anyone cares to say otherwise, please speak up.
Tony

Old July 6th 05, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

"Tony" wrote in
:

I believe you are WRONG. If anyone cares to say otherwise, please
speak up. Tony

Okay, I stand corrected. The one document I looked at in Google suggested
it did.

--
Phil
http://www.philipchung.co.uk/
Old July 6th 05, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sie

Phil regurgitated eggs and wrote in :

Okay, I stand corrected. The one document I looked at in Google suggested
it did.

It does, try this link:-

http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?next_file=snmp.htm

I don't use it so I'm not sure how useful it is.

HTH

Sie

--
Je-sus Christ.
On a bicycle.
Old July 6th 05, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

On 06 Jul 2005, Sie uttered the following:

It does, try this link:-

http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?next_file=snmp.htm

I don't use it so I'm not sure how useful it is.

Ah, thanks for that. Will have to play with it later. PRTG can't detect
any MIBs on the router at the moment. Don't have time to investigate
further at the momemnt.

--
Phil Chung (http://www.philipchung.co.uk/)
Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail
Old July 6th 05, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Eagles

Sie wrote:
It does, try this link:-

http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?next_file=snmp.htm

I don't use it so I'm not sure how useful it is.

HTH

Sie

It's about as useful as a chocolate teapout. Enable SNMP, set the
community strings and you'll find that it doesn't work.

The iptables firewall in the router is blocking connections from the LAN
interface to 161/udp. If you enable debug mode then telnet to the
router you can alter the config (I think you have to delete the first
rule, but it is ages since I've done it so I could well be wrong) to
allow SNMP to work but the firewall reloads at midnight every day so you
then lose the changes you made.

~P.