cache

Old July 6th 05, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
june

Default cache

Hi

I read somewhere recently that some ISP's cache internet content on their
servers. I use the betting site www.betfair.com regularly and it has
up-to-the-second market price information. If I chose an ISP that does use
cacheing, would the betfair data be delayed or compromised?

I have noticed bulldog are offering a great deal at the moment. Anyone know
if they use cacheing like this?

Cheers

Old July 6th 05, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 19:14:00 +0000, june wrote:

Hi

I read somewhere recently that some ISP's cache internet content on their
servers. I use the betting site www.betfair.com regularly and it has
up-to-the-second market price information. If I chose an ISP that does use
cacheing, would the betfair data be delayed or compromised?

Don't know about betfair, but many such places report the time on their
servers so you should know if it is dated. Does betfair use https - no
caching there.

Old July 6th 05, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
june

"steve" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 19:14:00 +0000, june wrote:

Hi

I read somewhere recently that some ISP's cache internet content on their
servers. I use the betting site www.betfair.com regularly and it has
up-to-the-second market price information. If I chose an ISP that does
use
cacheing, would the betfair data be delayed or compromised?

Don't know about betfair, but many such places report the time on their
servers so you should know if it is dated. Does betfair use https - no
caching there.

good point, I'm sure i can find a timestamp somewhere in their data packets.
interestingly, they only use https for login, not for actually placing any
bets.

I have noticed bulldog are offering a great deal at the moment. Anyone
know if they use cacheing like this?

Cheers

i can't find anything in the bulldog blurb about cache or proxy so i'll just
have to wait and see.

their current offer is 8 meg unlimited, first month free, next 6 months
17.50. 1 month rolling contract. FREE BT line installation OR transfer. and
wireless modem/router for 1

I'm amazed and hope it will be all they say it will :-)

Old July 6th 05, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 21:24:10 GMT,it is alleged that "june"
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

"steve" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 19:14:00 +0000, june wrote:

Hi

[snip]

good point, I'm sure i can find a timestamp somewhere in their data packets.
interestingly, they only use https for login, not for actually placing any
bets.

The timestamp that the caching servers look at should be in the server
headers, those are the ones most of them go by.

http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/viewhead/ will let you see the server
headers for any website that uses http (as far as I know it doesn't
work on https)

This is the result I just had from betfair.com in case it's of
interest to you:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 21:48:51 GMT
Expires: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 21:48:51 GMT --expires instantly, good
Cache-Control: no-store --looks good, shouldn't cache
Connection: close
Server: Betex HTTP Server
Set-Cookie: [cookie snipped for length]
Pragma: no-cache --also looks good
[more cookies snipped]

All of the above highlighted bits with arrows are very good, if the
cache server is well behaved you shouldn't have any issues.

[snip]

i can't find anything in the bulldog blurb about cache or proxy so i'll just
have to wait and see.

Email them, if they want you as a customer they'll answer :-). I have
selected mailbox.net.uk for when I finally ditch virgin.net because
they say they use NO caching, (virgin are part of NTL who do use
transparent caching), but this probably *isn't* the cheapest option by
a long way.

--
"The most overlooked advantage of owning a computer is that if they foul up
there's no law against whacking them around a bit."