Broadband enabled

Old July 7th 05, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paddy

Default Broadband enabled

Our exchange is to get broadband enabled on the 27th July - NTL say that I
cannot sign up until after that date and then it could take upto 4 weeks to
get connected. Is this the norm. Also we (13 phones and 1 isdn) are on a
microwave link and as BT are unable to tell us the bandwidth available we
are unsure how many of us could have broadband. If it's unuseable would NTL
allow a cancellation. Failing this is there a company that allows a months
trial for a one off payment if I get my own modem so as to check the
service? - TIA - Mick - correct the spelling please

Old July 7th 05, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 07 Jul 2005 09:53 GMT, "Paddy" wrote:

Our exchange is to get broadband enabled on the 27th July - NTL say that I
cannot sign up until after that date and then it could take upto 4 weeks to
get connected. Is this the norm.

I doubt it is 'the norm' but NTL doesn't appear to use BT Wholesale services
so they'd have to have DataStream set up at that particular exchange and it
is probably that which is the cause of their delay. See other posts where
NTL is mentioned (they serve Tesco.net and Virgin.net among others) and I
would suggest some other ISP (any of the big names should be OK) which has
IPStream would likely be ready to go on or soon after the day the exchange
is enabled. Worth sending a few e-mails or ringing some up, to ask how long
after the exchange is enabled it might be before you could have service...

Also we (13 phones and 1 isdn) are on a microwave link and as BT are unable
to tell us the bandwidth available we are unsure how many of us could
have broadband.

If it's unuseable would NTL allow a cancellation. Failing this is there a
company that allows a months trial for a one off payment if I get my own
modem so as to check the service?

For any company, the setup ("activation") charge from BT Wholesale would be
50 +VAT, so it would be quite a costly business if you weren't going to be
a customer for long (and they'd simply charge you the amount they paid).

In any case, if it is unusable, then they would not charge a penny, so you'd
get a refund of anything paid (or not be charged, if some ISP was offering
a 'free setup' deal). Good luck. Sounds like you need it - wherever you
actually are (an island, perhaps, with microwave link!)... Peter Morgan.

Old July 9th 05, 01:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Paddy wrote:
Also we (13 phones and 1 isdn) are on a
microwave link and as BT are unable to tell us the bandwidth available
we are unsure how many of us could have broadband.

I know Madderty (ESMAD) is geting enabled in August and is 162 premises
according to samknows.com with some ISDN/HH on an 18GHz microwave link.

I posted the kit number a while back in a thread 'Microwave bandwidth'
24/25 Sept 2004 as a 18 Ghz NEC Link equipment - Model TRP 18G

Actually reading the post it might have been yours, somewhere with 13
users getting BB on 27 July 2005 .....

Bill
Old July 9th 05, 07:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mick

"Bill" wrote in message
news:[email protected] co.uk...
Paddy wrote:
Also we (13 phones and 1 isdn) are on a
microwave link and as BT are unable to tell us the bandwidth available
we are unsure how many of us could have broadband.

I know Madderty (ESMAD) is geting enabled in August and is 162 premises
according to samknows.com with some ISDN/HH on an 18GHz microwave link.

I posted the kit number a while back in a thread 'Microwave bandwidth'
24/25 Sept 2004 as a 18 Ghz NEC Link equipment - Model TRP 18G

Actually reading the post it might have been yours, somewhere with 13
users getting BB on 27 July 2005 .....

Bill

Not ours Bill. We had it installed sbout 12 years ago when the undersea
cable failed. It was then updated about 7 years ago but BT aren't sure what
with. There used to be a BT department in Wales where they had full
information but they have evidently been shut down.

Mick