Broadband advice please

Old July 8th 05, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wannabe

Default Broadband advice please

I have broadband (BT) landing on the 8th August. I have only signed up for
the single PC account.

My question/s is

I assume that I can connect a router and share the connection?

I have a wired LAN around the house

Do I need a modem and a router?

Can people advise on the best hardware (not wireless please)

Thanks

Old July 8th 05, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

In article , Wannabe
writes
I have broadband (BT) landing on the 8th August. I have only signed up for
the single PC account.

My question/s is

I assume that I can connect a router and share the connection?

Yes, through a router with several 10/100 Mbps ethernet ports

I have a wired LAN around the house

Do I need a modem and a router?

Router

Can people advise on the best hardware (not wireless please)

I know the router (powered) I use for my 4 PC network, and this works
faultlessly. I will leave others to suggest the ones to choose.

Thanks

--
Hugh Janus Constipation is the thief of time, but diaorrehia waits
for no man!!
Old July 8th 05, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

"Wannabe" wrote in
:

I have broadband (BT) landing on the 8th August. I have only signed up
for the single PC account.

My question/s is

I assume that I can connect a router and share the connection?

I have a wired LAN around the house

Do I need a modem and a router?

Can people advise on the best hardware (not wireless please)

Yes, you can share the connection. Best bet would be to get an ADSL
router with a built-in ADSL modem, such as the Netgear DG834.

--
Phil
http://www.philipchung.co.uk/
Old July 8th 05, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry

"Wannabe" wrote in message
I have broadband (BT) landing on the 8th August. I have only signed up for
the single PC account.

My question/s is

I assume that I can connect a router and share the connection?

Yes you can

I have a wired LAN around the house

OK

Do I need a modem and a router?

ADSL Modem/Router would be the best bet. I suggest a Netgear DG834G/T.
This *does* have wireless option built in, but you can disable it. I have
two of these running 24/7. One at home and one at work. Both 100 percent
rock solid. You might as well have the wireless feature, as in the future
you *may* want to have a go with wi-fi and you will already have the
hardware in place. The cost difference these days between
wireless/non-wireless is so small, you might as well have it and switch it
off, it won't get in the way of anything, and you can even remove the aerial
if you don't switch the wi-fi option on.

Can people advise on the best hardware (not wireless please)

Netgear DG834/G, just disable the wi-fi bit in the setup.

http://tinyurl.com/df9w7 Non-Wireless version DG834

http://tinyurl.com/d8x8f Wireless version 54mbps DG834G

Thanks

Old July 8th 05, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 8 Jul 2005 11:50, John wrote:

In Wannabe writes
I have a wired LAN around the house
Do I need a modem and a router?

Router

Um, combined router and ADSL modem. Some people might see routers
listed on Ebay, Dabs.com, Ebuyer.com etc and think they'll be able
to use ADSL with them, as they're sometimes shown as "broadband
router" so not a simple 'router' if you want ADSL to work!

Can people advise on the best hardware (not wireless please)

I know the router (powered) I use for my 4 PC network, and this works
faultlessly. I will leave others to suggest the ones to choose.

I have a number of cheap routers (more than one as I've had two ADSL
connections, and cheap, so I can comfortably lend them out to friends
without a big worry about when I'll get them back)... I've paid from
90 down to about 25 quid (inc VAT) for various units (all non-wireless
and the 90 quid one was from Dabs about 3 years ago, but down to half,
or so... See Dabs "value" or the Ebuyer budget offerings if cash is a
bit tight... or for a perhaps more trusted firm, try Solwise.co.uk

(I know a couple of guys who have bought 'Billion' units, one for his
mother-in-law - so I hope it works well for his sake :-)) Peter M.

Old July 9th 05, 01:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Wannabe wrote:

I assume that I can connect a router and share the connection?

Yes, just BT will not help you. However that is what we are here for !

I have a wired LAN around the house

Do I need a modem and a router?

So do you already have a router for the LAN ? In which case you might
need something less usual and beyond my ability to explain to connect
the ADSL into that router and get it going.

However a good 4-port wired-only ADSL-modem-router is 40 - 80, if you
can plug that straight onto the network wiring it might be easier.

I got a Draytek2500 from Broadbandbuyer, and would do so again.

Bill
Old July 9th 05, 11:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wannabe

"Wannabe" wrote in message
I have broadband (BT) landing on the 8th August. I have only signed up for
the single PC account.

My question/s is

I assume that I can connect a router and share the connection?

I have a wired LAN around the house

Do I need a modem and a router?

Can people advise on the best hardware (not wireless please)

Thanks

Many thanks to all who took the time to reply, I will no doubt be back to
the group once I am live

Thanks again