Tiscali - getting MAC Code?

Old July 8th 05, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy S

Default Tiscali - getting MAC Code?

How do I get my Tiscali MAC code?

Who created this MAC code in the first place? BT Wholesale or Tiscali?

Steve

Old July 8th 05, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wireless Reader

Andy S wrote:
How do I get my Tiscali MAC code?

From Tiscali.

Who created this MAC code in the first place? BT Wholesale or Tiscali?

Oftel (Ofcom) requirement?
Old July 8th 05, 03:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy S

"Wireless Reader" wrote in message
Andy S wrote:
How do I get my Tiscali MAC code?

From Tiscali.

Who created this MAC code in the first place? BT Wholesale or Tiscali?

Oftel (Ofcom) requirement?

You misunderstood me. What I mean is, who created my MAC code? BT? Seeing
as I have the service running on a BT line, or Tiscali, seeing as they are
the provider?

Who generated the MAC code that is associated with my service? And who is
likely to have access to it? BT? or just Tiscali?

Old July 8th 05, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Andy S wrote:

How do I get my Tiscali MAC code?

From Tiscali.

Who created this MAC code in the first place? BT Wholesale or Tiscali?

Oftel (Ofcom) requirement?

You misunderstood me. What I mean is, who created my MAC code? BT? Seeing
as I have the service running on a BT line, or Tiscali, seeing as they are
the provider?

Who generated the MAC code that is associated with my service? And who is
likely to have access to it? BT? or just Tiscali?

Hi there,

MAC codes are only generated once you have requested them. For example,
I have a 2MB ADSL service but I have never requested to migrate. There
is therefore no MAC code associated with my account.

With BTIPstream products (Tiscali use Datastream mainly), all that is
required is for an employee of the ISP to access BT Wholesale's
provisioning systems (eCo), look up the assett in question and generate
the MAC key. It takes all of 5 minutes or so but different ISPs have
different procedures in place before they will generate the key.

Tiscali AFAIK are reknown for not generating MAC keys although I'm sure
the functionality is there.

Kind Regards,

Old July 8th 05, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 08 Jul 2005 15:36, Wireless Reader wrote:

Andy S wrote:
How do I get my Tiscali MAC code?

From Tiscali.

Which might be anything from "difficult" to "impossible" as they seem to not
want to "play ball" wrt helping customers get this... There have been some
other posts about this and mention of http://www.whowantsmigration.me.uk/

Who created this MAC code in the first place? BT Wholesale or Tiscali?

Oftel (Ofcom) requirement?

I think it was BT W, to make migration from one ISP to another smoother, as
it's their system which generates the MAC, AFAIK, and presumably it acts as
a database 'key' to the customer's line details, to simplify changeover and
who to bill (ie the new ISP) once the task is marked as complete. Peter M.

Old July 9th 05, 08:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wireless Reader

poster wrote:

Who created this MAC code in the first place? BT Wholesale or Tiscali?

Oftel (Ofcom) requirement?

I think it was BT W, to make migration from one ISP to another smoother, as
it's their system which generates the MAC, AFAIK, and presumably it acts as
a database 'key' to the customer's line details, to simplify changeover and
who to bill (ie the new ISP) once the task is marked as complete. Peter M.

I misunderstood the original poster and in turn my answer is
mis-understood. I was suggesting that Oftel forced the system to be
set-up, to provide a migration process between ISP's.

Old July 9th 05, 08:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 09 Jul 2005 08:08, Wireless Reader wrote:

I was suggesting that Oftel forced the system to be set-up, to provide
a migration process between ISP's.

Indeed, that's what I thought you were suggesting, but unfortunately if
they did, they didn't make it 'mandatory' for ISPs to use this, and the
situation wrt Tiscali is that for whatever reasons (incompetence or the
'sheer bl**dy mindedness' of someone) they don't yet issue MACs and the
customer (wanting to be an ex-customer) is the one who suffers. Peter.

Old July 9th 05, 12:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike G

"poster" wrote in message
s.net...
On 09 Jul 2005 08:08, Wireless Reader wrote:

I was suggesting that Oftel forced the system to be set-up, to provide
a migration process between ISP's.

Indeed, that's what I thought you were suggesting, but unfortunately if
they did, they didn't make it 'mandatory' for ISPs to use this, and the
situation wrt Tiscali is that for whatever reasons (incompetence or the
'sheer bl**dy mindedness' of someone) they don't yet issue MACs and the
customer (wanting to be an ex-customer) is the one who suffers. Peter.

I can vouch for that, having recently left Tiscali.
The the usual months notice was given for cancellation, after which my BB
connection was switched off.
It then took a further 3 weeks before Tiscali allowed my chosen ISP
(PlusNet) to use the line, and give me a BB connection.
This despite being told by Tiscali that it would only take 7-14 days. In
itself too long IMO.
Mike.

Old July 9th 05, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

"poster" wrote in message
s.net...
On 09 Jul 2005 08:08, Wireless Reader wrote:

I was suggesting that Oftel forced the system to be set-up, to provide
a migration process between ISP's.

Indeed, that's what I thought you were suggesting, but unfortunately if
they did, they didn't make it 'mandatory' for ISPs to use this, and the
situation wrt Tiscali is that for whatever reasons (incompetence or the
'sheer bl**dy mindedness' of someone) they don't yet issue MACs and the
customer (wanting to be an ex-customer) is the one who suffers. Peter.

I understand there is currently an investigation underway.