BULLDOG now cold calling for new customers

Old July 9th 05, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam Piggott

Default BULLDOG now cold calling for new customers

Old July 9th 05, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 09 Jul 2005 11:46 Adam Piggott wrote:

Their ADSL service is metered weekdays 8am-8pm[1] but their lowest package
being 3GB/month has never got close to being filled by me and I work from
home so use the net a lot. :-)

If use is low, some may consider Metronet PayGo or PayGo Extra accounts

PayGo a/c max fee min fee includes | PayGo extra same max fees

500 kbps 22.75 11.75 400 MB | 16.99 5 GB

1000 kbps 26.75 13.75 2 GB | 19.99 15 GB

2000 kbps 38.75 18.75 10 GB | 22.99 30 GB

I know some ISPs offer capped accounts, but these are perhaps more flexible
and while the upper fee for 2000 kbps might be quite high, for many, they
would pay only the 18.75 or 22.99 for 10 GB or 30 GB respectively.

Of course, like AAISP, there's the activation fee one needs to pay if one
doesn't have a suitable service to migrate from, while other ISPs might
offer free activation (payable if you leave within a number of months).

Old July 9th 05, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 15:50:31 +0100, guv wrote:

£50 per month for a 2MB line and an 8GB (heavy user!!!!) limit is tad
more than a little extra I would say! - Also a £70 sign on fee is a
little steep!

That's why I have never understood their attraction.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old July 9th 05, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam Piggott

guv wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 15:06:21 +0100, guv wrote:

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 11:46:53 +0100, Adam Piggott
wrote:

snip seemingly common experience with Bulldog

Can anyone offer any advice on how to tackle this situation? I believe
my year is finally up on 12th August - and that is the day I want to
rid myself of this untrustworthy theiving company.

Andrews and Arnold are a "no bull****" ISP who have got their heads screwed
on, have friendly, personable and competent staff and are very much a
professional outfit.

If you don't mind paying a bit extra per month than the cheapy ISPs then
you ought to think about using them. No silly "contracts" either, or
charging for extra fixed IPs etc.

Their ADSL service is metered weekdays 8am-8pm[1] but their lowest package
being 3GB/month has never got close to being filled by me and I work from
home so use the net a lot. :-)
You can also check your usage down to the nearest hour, have SMS-alerted,
graphed line monitoring to help track down problems and even talk to the
staff on IRC.

Hmmm. 3GB per month? Id use that in a day!

Jesus!

£50 per month for a 2MB line and an 8GB (heavy user!!!!) limit is tad
more than a little extra I would say! - Also a £70 sign on fee is a
little steep!

Yes but it's becoming obvious that the other ISPs that charge peanuts can't
afford to, hence they never have enough support, accounts or
telephone-answering staff. If you don't pay an activation fee, they have to
pay the £50 ex VAT per customer. How do you think they stay afloat with
that? They sting you with contacts, "cancellation fees" and various other
underhand tactics. Either that or they go under.

If you'll be using 3GB/day I'd prolly prefer it if you didn't use AAISP ;-

- --
Adam Piggott, Proprietor, Proactive Services (Computing).
http://www.proactiveservices.co.uk/

Please replace dot invalid with dot uk to email me.
Apply personally for PGP public key.
Old July 10th 05, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 09 Jul 2005 16:10, Dr Teeth wrote:

That's why I have never understood their attraction.

(a) have technical staff who know their stuff
(b) offer fault detection and reporting second to none
(c) offer unmetered overnight traffic - only the daytime downloading is
'restrictive' - it wouldn't have suited my use, just listening to a
radio service is a minimum of 20 MB/hour without doing any browsing
but for people out at the office Mon-Fri 'office hours' it works OK
(d) no upload limits, so could stream audio from a 'radio' station (for
example) or be transmitting from home (perhaps with VNC ?)

Old July 10th 05, 12:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 09 Jul 2005 19:09, Adam Piggott wrote:

Yes but it's becoming obvious that the other ISPs that charge peanuts
can't afford to, hence they never have enough support, accounts or
telephone-answering staff.

Huh ? There may be some ISPs which have overloaded customer services, and
others which have office-hours-only tech support, but not all 'budget price'
ISPs have the problems you suggest, so it's probably unfair to tar all with
the same brush with a sweeping (and unsupported) statement.

If you don't pay an activation fee, they have to pay the £50 ex VAT per
customer. How do you think they stay afloat with that? They sting you with
contacts, "cancellation fees" and various other underhand tactics. Either
that or they go under.

So you have no contract with AAISP ? Sorry, I don't think it is anything
"underhand". Yes, those ISPs which offer 'free' activation do have to have
some means to cover the cost they have borne (though, it wasn't until quite
recently that Virgin.net included any such clause, so 2 months ago there'd
have been an instant example to disprove your comment!) However, many do
have monthly contract, if one pays the activation fee, but can charge a
lot less than AAISP. Don't get me wrong - I bought my first mobile from
Adrian Kennard in 1996, and have no quibble that service provided is very
definitely given positive feedback by users, but that doesn't mean that a
considerably cheaper ISP doesn't give good service or perhaps a bit better
'value for money'.

- --

Is that meant to be a sig separator ? Normally Agent strips sigs for
me... but I had to trim the rest, including the 'unneeded' PGP stuff
Old July 10th 05, 02:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 23:31:02 +0100, poster
wrote:

(a) have technical staff who know their stuff

Zen

(b) offer fault detection and reporting second to none

Zen

(c) offer unmetered overnight traffic - only the daytime downloading is
'restrictive' - it wouldn't have suited my use, just listening to a
radio service is a minimum of 20 MB/hour without doing any browsing
but for people out at the office Mon-Fri 'office hours' it works OK

Zen unmetered 24/7

(d) no upload limits, so could stream audio from a 'radio' station (for
example) or be transmitting from home (perhaps with VNC ?)

Zen unmetered 24/7

So, I'm still waiting, what's the big deal with AAISP?

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old July 10th 05, 04:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 10 Jul 2005 01:55, Dr Teeth wrote:

So, I'm still waiting, what's the big deal with AAISP?

I am not a customer of AAISP, but know of a number who are happy. I just put
forward a few positive aspects of service, but I cannot comment on how Zen
compares (only one family I know use Zen, which I think offers a strange
mail address for them :-) Peter M.

PS Does Zen support IPv6 ?

Old July 10th 05, 10:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 14:06:21 UTC, guv wrote:

Hmmm. 3GB per month? Id use that in a day!

During the period 8am to 8 pm?

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old July 10th 05, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam Piggott

poster wrote:
On 09 Jul 2005 19:09, Adam Piggott wrote:

Yes but it's becoming obvious that the other ISPs that charge peanuts
can't afford to, hence they never have enough support, accounts or
telephone-answering staff.

Huh ? There may be some ISPs which have overloaded customer services, and
others which have office-hours-only tech support, but not all 'budget price'
ISPs have the problems you suggest, so it's probably unfair to tar all with
the same brush with a sweeping (and unsupported) statement.

Ah you're right there, I did mean the more popular cheapy ISPs. *gets a
smaller tar brush* ;-)

If you don't pay an activation fee, they have to pay the £50 ex VAT per
customer. How do you think they stay afloat with that? They sting you with
contacts, "cancellation fees" and various other underhand tactics. Either
that or they go under.

So you have no contract with AAISP ? Sorry, I don't think it is anything
"underhand". Yes, those ISPs which offer 'free' activation do have to have
some means to cover the cost they have borne (though, it wasn't until quite
recently that Virgin.net included any such clause, so 2 months ago there'd
have been an instant example to disprove your comment!) However, many do
have monthly contract, if one pays the activation fee, but can charge a
lot less than AAISP.

Well I have agreed to their terms and conditions which ask me to play fair.
But I don't have a contract. I pay for the coming month, I get the service
for the coming month. I've also seen ISPs that only have a monthly contract
without an activation fee but there were catches.

I think what I was trying to state was that a great deal of ISPs seem to
have a strange way of converting their costs of ADSL provision into prices
for a customer plus profit. They pay £x for each connection and if they
soak that cost then charge a relatively meagre price per month, where does
their money come from? Even if their customer has to stay with them for a
year, surely 12x£small still doesn't recoup their costs? I suppose I don't
know exactly the costs and profits involved, but I assume these ideas can't
be far out.

I use AAISP for all of my customer's ADSL services so absolutely have to be
able to get hold of good tech support staff, be informed promptly about any
problems, check their line status, login/out times, line latency/statistics
etc. in case they have a problem and come to me. They also have to be
financially secure, and since their pricing structure makes sense to me it
makes me feel happier using them.

- --

Is that meant to be a sig separator ? Normally Agent strips sigs for
me... but I had to trim the rest, including the 'unneeded' PGP stuff

It's specified in RFC 2440 under "Dash-Escaped Text":

Dash escaped cleartext is the ordinary cleartext where every line starting
with a dash '-' (0x2D) is prefixed by the sequence dash '-' (0x2D) and
space ' ' (0x20). This prevents the parser from recognizing armor headers
of the cleartext itself. The message digest is computed using the cleartext
itself, not the dash escaped form.

(Didn't know exactly why myself, only a fuzzy idea. Learn a new thing every
day :-)

- --