Effective distance for wireless network?

Old July 9th 05, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cullen Skink

Default Effective distance for wireless network?

Hi
A friend wants to set up a wireless BB network in his house. He wants to
move his office out to a shed and share the connection between the main
PC in the shed and a laptop in or around the house. How effective is it
likely to be? He has read that the signal degrades when going through
walls but none of the reviews he has read give any detailed information
on what to expect. The wireless BB routers he has looked at state the
usable distance as 100m but he would be talking maybe about 1/3rd of that
distance. Anyone tried something like this?

Also what router would be recommended given this sort of usage?

thanks.

--
www.ukwebhost.com

Old July 9th 05, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wireless Reader

Cullen Skink wrote:
Hi
A friend wants to set up a wireless BB network in his house. He wants to
move his office out to a shed and share the connection between the main
PC in the shed and a laptop in or around the house. How effective is it
likely to be? He has read that the signal degrades when going through
walls but none of the reviews he has read give any detailed information
on what to expect. The wireless BB routers he has looked at state the
usable distance as 100m but he would be talking maybe about 1/3rd of that
distance. Anyone tried something like this?

I get reasonable signals some 30-40 metres from my house, the signal
passing through a couple of brick walls.

Often reviews, done it the US, are with properties that are largely of
wooden construction - in the UK our use of brick walls invariably
reduces the signal by a larger factor.
Old July 9th 05, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

It is impossible to generalise about the range. It would be much better to
extend the network from a spped and security point of view.

Peter Crosland

Old July 9th 05, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Andrews

"Cullen Skink" wrote in message
Hi
A friend wants to set up a wireless BB network in his house. He wants to
move his office out to a shed and share the connection between the main
PC in the shed and a laptop in or around the house. How effective is it
likely to be? He has read that the signal degrades when going through
walls but none of the reviews he has read give any detailed information
on what to expect. The wireless BB routers he has looked at state the
usable distance as 100m but he would be talking maybe about 1/3rd of that
distance. Anyone tried something like this?

Also what router would be recommended given this sort of usage?

thanks.

--
www.ukwebhost.com

Borrow if possible a wireless router and try it. There are so many
variables, some houses have plasterboard walls that are backed with foil and
that can severely restrict the range. That said I logged onto a neighbours
BB service from 50 yards, until I told him that he hadn't got any security
setup :-)

Peter

Old July 9th 05, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cullen Skink

Wireless Reader wrote:
Cullen Skink wrote:
Hi
A friend wants to set up a wireless BB network in his house. He
wants to move his office out to a shed and share the connection
between the main PC in the shed and a laptop in or around the house.
How effective is it likely to be? He has read that the signal
degrades when going through walls but none of the reviews he has
read give any detailed information on what to expect. The wireless
BB routers he has looked at state the usable distance as 100m but he
would be talking maybe about 1/3rd of that distance. Anyone tried
something like this?

I get reasonable signals some 30-40 metres from my house, the signal
passing through a couple of brick walls.

Hi
Thanks for that.

By reasonable what do you mean? Are we talking dialup speeds or still
BB?

Old July 9th 05, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cullen Skink

Peter Crosland wrote:
It is impossible to generalise about the range. It would be much
better to extend the network from a spped and security point of view.

Peter Crosland

Any way to boost it if it is an issue, such as an aerial in the loft or
on the roof?

Old July 9th 05, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wireless Reader

Cullen Skink wrote:
Wireless Reader wrote:

Cullen Skink wrote:

[...]

Well my laptop is showing 54Mbps speed to the wireless router at the
moment. This speed does drop occasionally.

By "reasonable signals "I referred to the signal strength - this isn't
the same as the speed on the link.
Old July 9th 05, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message , Cullen
Skink writes
Peter Crosland wrote:
It is impossible to generalise about the range. It would be much
better to extend the network from a spped and security point of view.

Peter Crosland

Any way to boost it if it is an issue, such as an aerial in the loft or
on the roof?

try

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects...ate/index.html
--
Peter R Cook
Old July 10th 05, 12:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Steele

"Cullen Skink" wrote in message
Hi
A friend wants to set up a wireless BB network in his house. He wants to
move his office out to a shed and share the connection between the main
PC in the shed and a laptop in or around the house. How effective is it
likely to be? He has read that the signal degrades when going through
walls but none of the reviews he has read give any detailed information
on what to expect. The wireless BB routers he has looked at state the
usable distance as 100m but he would be talking maybe about 1/3rd of that
distance. Anyone tried something like this?

Also what router would be recommended given this sort of usage?

thanks.

If you can mount the aerial in the roof it will minimise the losses through
the walls unless the roof construction contains any metallic screening. You
might however not get as good a signal in the rest of the house. The same
comment applies to the DIY reflectors such as free antennas. I use one and
recommend it when the installation warrants it. In my case the wireless
access point is close to the front wall of my house and the directional
nature of the reflector ensures that little signal escapes in the direction
of the road and most of it goes towards the back of the house and into the
garden. It doubled my range. I can get a distance of around 30 metres
through two internal plasterboard walls and a cavity brick wall and then
down the garden.

If feasible mount the Wireless Access Point at the end of the house nearest
the shed. This is much easier if you have a separate broadband router and
Wireless Access point. The CAT5 cable feeding it can run at least 90 metres
(and probably significantly more). If the functions are combined into a
single box then it is more difficult to reach a compromise.

John Steele

Old July 10th 05, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Cullen Skink wrote:
Peter Crosland wrote:
It is impossible to generalise about the range. It would be much
better to extend the network from a spped and security point of view.

Peter Crosland

Any way to boost it if it is an issue, such as an aerial in the loft or
on the roof?

Yes, with special antenna, you can get links up to dozens of Km.