Advice & comments please on a Netgear DG834G problem

Old July 9th 05, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam

Default Advice & comments please on a Netgear DG834G problem

Running a Netgear DG834G router with a PC (WIN2000) and Mac (OSX 10.3)
connected via Ethernet and a PC laptop (WIN XP) and a Mac laptop (OSX
10.2) occasionally connected wirelessly. The router has the latest
firmware upgrade.

After some struggling (I know nothing about networking but I'm learning
fast!) I've got it all to work. Even managed to share files between
computers.

The problem is that the router occasionally disconnects from the
Internet - about every 48 to 72 hours - and the only way I can get it
connected again is by powering it down and then up. It is the router
that is disconnecting, the computers are connected, via Ethernet, to the
router, and can see it, but neither computer can see the Internet. And,
when this problem occurs, communication with the router (using Internet
Explorer on the PC) is weird. The router doesn't seem to respond when I
click different buttons and commands. This seems to suggest that the
router has a problem. I used to use an Alcatel USB ADSL modem and never,
never had a line drop, so I think the phone line is solid and reliable.

Anyone experienced any similar problems with the DG834G? All
suggestions, advice, comments, ideas etc. gratefully received.
--
Sam
Old July 9th 05, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Sam wrote:
[...]

You're not by any chance doing any filesharing are you???

Filesharing is a well known source of problems on a lot of routers, the
Netgear included...

Old July 9th 05, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message , Sam
writes
[...]

What version of the firmware are you running. There have been a long
series of issues with these routers experiencing disconnection and line
drops - but only for those (of us) whose line attenuation was at or
above 40dB.

This was fixed by a later release of the ADSL firmware.

I suggests you get the latest firmware and try that

http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/D102713.asp

But grab the recovery utility you might need if the upgrade should fail
BEFORE doing the upgrade.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_...asp?dnldID=678

I have never had an upgrade fail, but Murphy's law suggests that those
who do experience failure are those who didn't have the recovery utility
- and now can't get it!!
--
Peter R Cook
Old July 9th 05, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam

In article ,

snip

The problem is that the router occasionally disconnects from the
Internet - about every 48 to 72 hours - and the only way I can get it
connected again is by powering it down and then up. It is the router
that is disconnecting, the computers are connected, via Ethernet, to the
router, and can see it, but neither computer can see the Internet. And,
when this problem occurs, communication with the router (using Internet
Explorer on the PC) is weird. The router doesn't seem to respond when I
click different buttons and commands. This seems to suggest that the
router has a problem. I used to use an Alcatel USB ADSL modem and never,
never had a line drop, so I think the phone line is solid and reliable.

Anyone experienced any similar problems with the DG834G? All
suggestions, advice, comments, ideas etc. gratefully received.

What version of the firmware are you running.

V1.05.00, and I've just upgraded to this.

There have been a long
series of issues with these routers experiencing disconnection and line
drops - but only for those (of us) whose line attenuation was at or
above 40dB.

Sorry, could you explain what this means? I know what 40dB is but I'm
not sure how it applies to telephone lines.

This was fixed by a later release of the ADSL firmware.

I suggests you get the latest firmware and try that

http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/D102713.asp

I'll do it.

But grab the recovery utility you might need if the upgrade should fail
BEFORE doing the upgrade.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_...asp?dnldID=678

Okay. Thanks for this advice.

I have never had an upgrade fail, but Murphy's law suggests that those
who do experience failure are those who didn't have the recovery utility
- and now can't get it!!

You're dead right of course.

Many thanks for your helpful advice.
--
Sam
Old July 9th 05, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam

In article ,
Sam wrote:
[...]

No, not doing any file sharing, apart from the one time I tried to see
if I could do it. This set-up is a simple domestic network that enables
me to get online, mostly with the PC (WIN2K), the Mac and my wife's
laptop.

Thanks for your reply.
--
Sam
Old July 9th 05, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam

In article ,
In article ,
says...
Anyone experienced any similar problems with the DG834G? All
suggestions, advice, comments, ideas etc. gratefully received.

This unit is very bizarre. What firmware are you running out of
interest? 2.10.22?

No, I'm running V1.05.00 and I've just upgraded to this!

Are you able to ping the router when your PPP connection is terminated?
Do you loose line synch, or do you just get a PPP drop?

Sorry, I'm a total dimwit when it comes to routers, networks and related
stuff - although I'm learning fast - and keen to learn. I think I know
what 'pinging' is (is it an attempt to connect to another computer and
get a response from it?) but I've idea what a PPP connection is (what
does PPP stand for?) and what is a PPP drop?

I had nothing
but PPP drops when using this router (as well as with other routers), BT
changed the line card I was connected to and now no problems what-so-
ever! I reguarly get 1000+ hours of PPP.

Sorry again, what's a line card and how do I get mine changed should I
need to?

In your logs do you get 'LCP Down'? Is auto-reconnect enabled?

I've never checked this because I've no idea what it is.

Hit me back with your reply, and we'll see what else can be done! I
reckon you might try haggling your ISP to push for your line card to be
changed with BTw.

Many thanks for your reply. I'm on a steep learning curve here but keen
to climb it.

When the router 'disconnects' from the Internet I can open up Internet
Explorer using http://192.168.0.1 and see the page that connects me to
the router, so I can see what's happening, but any attempt to change
pages (say switching from 'Basic Settings' to 'Diagnostics') simply
fails. The blue progress bar at the bottom of the page slowly moves
across then stops without completing. This is the case with the PC or
the Mac, which suggests the problem is with the router.

Many thanks for your time.
--
Sam
Old July 9th 05, 11:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message , Sam
writes

Snip

There have been a long
series of issues with these routers experiencing disconnection and line
drops - but only for those (of us) whose line attenuation was at or
above 40dB.

Sorry, could you explain what this means? I know what 40dB is but I'm
not sure how it applies to telephone lines.

The router apparently measures the attenuation between the exchange and
itself - quite how I don't know. I presume it bases the measurement on a
standard transmission power from the exchange.

The 834G will give you your line attenuation figure in the box which
opens when you click "router statistics" on the "router status" page.

The disconnection problems only seemed to occur on lines that reported
attenuation at or above 40dB. There was a theory floating round that at
these lower signal levels an error counter caused an internal buffer to
overflow and hung the router.

Anyway - upgrade the firmware would be my first suggestion.

Regards
--
Peter R Cook
Old July 9th 05, 11:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Sam wrote:
In article ,

snip

[...]

That is old, there has been several beta updates & at least official update
since that one...

Personally I found one of the beta versions the best for mine when I was
still running it (now on a Draytek, which only falls over for good reason,
i.e fat fingers or ISP problems)..

Old July 10th 05, 12:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

"kraftee" [email protected]&die wrote in message
Sam wrote:
In article ,

snip

[...]

I've had my DG834G for 18 months and have tried many of the firmwares since
1.03.00. It's been pretty rock solid on everything from 1.04.01 and after
including betas and final releases. I am running the latest live release at
the moment. I have up to three wireless laptops attached, a wired PC and a
wired Xbox. P2P is no problem even from more than one machine at a time. It
just works :-))