Rogue dialers

Old July 10th 05, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Netty

Default Rogue dialers

Hi all

I understand that my pc can be infected by rogue dialers. Can they actually
'dial out' using an alternative number on a pc with a broadband modem?
(there is no dial-up modem in the pc at all).

I am under the impression that they can only dial out using an alternative
number only on pc's with dial-up modems in/attached to them.

Please correct me if I am wrong or tell me if I am right. I am only asking
as I am in dispute with my telephone call provider and would *really* like
to blow a big raspberry at them if I am right!

TIA
Netty

Old July 10th 05, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:40:33 +0100,it is alleged that "Netty"
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

[snip]

I am under the impression that they can only dial out using an alternative
number only on pc's with dial-up modems in/attached to them.

Your impression is quite correct, without a dialup modem, there is *no
way* a computer can dial a number on your phone line.

HTH

--
This .signature has been hijacked by the Shellfish Liberation Army.
Please remain clam.
Old July 10th 05, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Netty

"Chip" wrote in message
n.net...
On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:40:33 +0100,it is alleged that "Netty"
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

[snip]

I am under the impression that they can only dial out using an

alternative
number only on pc's with dial-up modems in/attached to them.

Your impression is quite correct, without a dialup modem, there is *no
way* a computer can dial a number on your phone line.

HTH

Thanks Chip, I'm going to blow the biggest raspberry down the phone to
Homecall tomorrow!

Netty

Btw, possibly a daft question but just out of curiosity - if a dial-up
modem dials a number to access the internet, how does broadband access it
(if you know what I mean)?

Old July 10th 05, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Chip wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:40:33 +0100,it is alleged that "Netty"
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

[snip]

I am under the impression that they can only dial out using an
alternative number only on pc's with dial-up modems in/attached to
them.

Your impression is quite correct, without a dialup modem, there is *no
way* a computer can dial a number on your phone line.

Having said that I have had a couple of visits which were due to rogue
dialers blocking the DSL connection so don't be to complacent..

Old July 10th 05, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:26:35 +0100,it is alleged that "Netty"
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

[snip]

Btw, possibly a daft question but just out of curiosity - if a dial-up
modem dials a number to access the internet, how does broadband access it
(if you know what I mean)?

[begin gross oversimplification g]

This is where the 'always on' that broadband suppliers like to
advertise with comes in.

With dialup, the telephone network is used to establish a temporary
connection to a modem at the other end. (nominally the ISP but these
days the modem at the other end probably doesn't physically even
exist, they do it with software)

With DSL, there is a modem permanently attached to your telephone line
at the exchange (albeit a different type of modem entirely that
operates in addition to your phoneline)

With cable broadband, the 'line' is the cable tv line, not a
phoneline, and the type of 'modem' is completely different but the
overall concept is very similar.

The main point being, the 'dialup' has nothing whatsoever to do with
the internet per se, it's just a means to an end, in the same way that
some people drive to work 2-3 hours a day, when their job isn't
'driving'.

[end gross oversimplification]

--
I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency,
even if I'm in a cabinet meeting.
Old July 10th 05, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:35:04 +0100,it is alleged that "kraftee"
[email protected]&die spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

Chip wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:40:33 +0100,it is alleged that "Netty"
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

[snip]

I am under the impression that they can only dial out using an
alternative number only on pc's with dial-up modems in/attached to
them.

Your impression is quite correct, without a dialup modem, there is *no
way* a computer can dial a number on your phone line.

Having said that I have had a couple of visits which were due to rogue
dialers blocking the DSL connection so don't be to complacent..

Indeed, I can see that they could cause problems this way, I read the
original post as being about a phonecall the telco were alledging had
been made by a rogue dialer, if this is incorrect, so is my
statement:-)

--
There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.
- Ken Olson, President of DEC, 1977
Old July 10th 05, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Netty

n.net...

Chip wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:40:33 +0100,it is alleged that "Netty"
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

[snip]

I am under the impression that they can only dial out using an
alternative number only on pc's with dial-up modems in/attached to
them.

Your impression is quite correct, without a dialup modem, there is *no
way* a computer can dial a number on your phone line.

Having said that I have had a couple of visits which were due to rogue
dialers blocking the DSL connection so don't be to complacent..

Indeed, I can see that they could cause problems this way, I read the
original post as being about a phonecall the telco were alledging had
been made by a rogue dialer, if this is incorrect, so is my
statement:-)

You would be correct Chip.

Old July 10th 05, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Netty

"Chip" wrote in message
n.net...
[...]

lol

Thanks for the basic overview, I understand. You could've given me the techy
overview though - I'm raven-haired

Netty

Old July 11th 05, 12:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Hi folks
Interesting post. I am waiting for my broadband to be set up and it
crossed my mind about rogue dialers and what to do about stopping them.
Wondered what kraftee meant by having a couple of visits?.
So can a rogue dialler use my adsl line?, sorry bit confused now.
Cheers
Steve
Old July 11th 05, 12:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Netty

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi folks
Interesting post. I am waiting for my broadband to be set up and it
crossed my mind about rogue dialers and what to do about stopping them.
Wondered what kraftee meant by having a couple of visits?.
So can a rogue dialler use my adsl line?, sorry bit confused now.
Cheers
Steve

Read Chip's second post.

You can stop rogue dialers when you get a pop up box that states it will
change your dial up number & bill you at say 1.50 p/m (think porn sites
etc) and it gives you the options yes/no. Click no or the 'x' in the top
right of the box. You can get pop up stopper programs on the internet that
are shareware/freeware (try looking at www.download.com and search for pop
up blockers or even have a look at google). Whether they work well I haven't
the foggiest as I have Norton Systemworks and I can configure that to kill
all pop up boxes if I wanted it to.

When you have broadband you have nothing really to worry about. They can't
change your 'dial-up' number as you don't really have one to change.

Maybe Kraftee can elaborate on what he was on about when he said he had a
couple of visits. I'm not quite sure what he was on about either

Netty