Router + LAN

Old July 10th 05, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roller

Default Router + LAN

Hi

I currently have a wired LAN (Cat5e) around my house, all equipment is
connected together using a 10/100 hub/switch

My question is:

Now that I am taking broadband up and will need a router to distribute the
internet connection, does the router also take care of file/device sharing
as the hub does?

Also when broadband is connected what do the remote PC's need in the way of
interface cards?

Thanks

Old July 10th 05, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:46:45 +0100,it is alleged that "Roller"
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

Hi

I currently have a wired LAN (Cat5e) around my house, all equipment is
connected together using a 10/100 hub/switch

My question is:

Now that I am taking broadband up and will need a router to distribute the
internet connection, does the router also take care of file/device sharing
as the hub does?

Most will have a 4 port or so hub built in, so you could replace your
existing hub with it, I understand that *some* routers may have issues
with filesharing in some firmware versions, others may be able to
advise on this possibility and what to avoid. Or if that's not enough,
maybe hook it to the hub's uplink port or whatever other method of
cascading your hub uses[1], and have more outlets :-)

Also when broadband is connected what do the remote PC's need in the way of
interface cards?

Your existing 10baseT/100baseTX network and NICs are perfect for the
job, you should need to make no changes to the PC end, and only the
minimal changes listed above to the hub.

[1]If I am incorrect about the uplink port part of things I will
surely be corrected very quickly:-)

--
This .signature has been hijacked by the Shellfish Liberation Army.
Please remain clam.
Old July 10th 05, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:46:45 +0100, "Roller" wrote:

Now that I am taking broadband up and will need a router to distribute the
internet connection, does the router also take care of file/device sharing
as the hub does?

Yes, since most routers have a 4-port hub built into them. But the
simplest solution is to plug one of your router's LAN ports into a
spare LAN port on your existing hub, and avoid disturbing a network
that presumably works already.

Also when broadband is connected what do the remote PC's need in the way of
interface cards?

Nothing more than they have already.
Old July 11th 05, 02:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roller

"Mark McIntyre" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:46:45 +0100, "Roller" wrote:

Now that I am taking broadband up and will need a router to distribute

the
internet connection, does the router also take care of file/device

sharing
as the hub does?

Yes, since most routers have a 4-port hub built into them. But the
simplest solution is to plug one of your router's LAN ports into a
spare LAN port on your existing hub, and avoid disturbing a network
that presumably works already.

Also when broadband is connected what do the remote PC's need in the way

of
interface cards?

Nothing more than they have already.

So have I read this correctly, I have an existing 8 port 10/100 switch, If I
connect the router to one of the 8 ports then any PC on the remaining 7
ports can share the bb connection?

Old July 11th 05, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 11 Jul 2005 13:39, "Roller" wrote:

So have I read this correctly, I have an existing 8 port 10/100 switch, If I
connect the router to one of the 8 ports then any PC on the remaining 7
ports can share the bb connection?

Yes, that's the situation, exactly, for hundreds and thousands of users, some
using wired LANs, others having some devices connected via RF :-) Peter M.
Old July 11th 05, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roller

"poster" wrote in message
. 88...
On 11 Jul 2005 13:39, "Roller" wrote:

So have I read this correctly, I have an existing 8 port 10/100 switch,

If I
connect the router to one of the 8 ports then any PC on the remaining 7
ports can share the bb connection?

Yes, that's the situation, exactly, for hundreds and thousands of users,

some
using wired LANs, others having some devices connected via RF :-) Peter

M.

Excellent thanks very much to all, so my final question is which router to
buy, I know I need a combined router modem so beyond that any advice
appreciated.

Old July 11th 05, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 11 Jul 2005 15:13, "Roller" wrote:

Excellent thanks very much to all, so my final question is which router to
buy, I know I need a combined router modem so beyond that any advice
appreciated.

Depends on your budget, and what you'll do with it, and how far from the
exchange you are... sorry, it's a bit vague... however, people who are at
the end of a long connection seem to find certain routers more reliable or
stable (see posts by Kraftee for some hints on this, and/or if you expect
to be using peer-to-peer, as some routers keel over when they are being
hammered by lots of connections). Some suggest top-end routers of 125+
on the assumption you will use Voice over IP (VoIP) while others, such
as myself, have used a number of cheapo Dabs Value / Ebuyer models that
can be had for under 30-40 quid and work fine for our needs (I bought a
few since I have lent some out to friends, and like to have spares :-)