Managed Conversion or ADSL order with New line

Old July 11th 05, 10:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.net.providers.aaisp
Ron Lowe

Default Managed Conversion or ADSL order with New line

Hi, all.

A work colleague has the following dilemma:

He lives in a remote rural location.
The exchange is literally at the bottom of his garden, and has an RFS date
Real Soon Now, so he's looking to get ADSL installed. So far, so good.

Here's the problem.
His existing phone line does not come from that exchange.
It comes from a distant ( 10 miles++) exchange.
The reason for this is historical, perhaps due to the fact the previous
occupant had ISDN installed, and the local exchange wasn't up to it.

So, what's the solution?

I don't think a Managed Conversion will work: the BT engineer will just look
at the ADSL possibility of the existing line.

I doubt BT would move the line to the local exchange 'just for the asking'.

The only solution I can suggest it for him to order a new line, to be
provisioned from the local exchange, and then cease the old one. Perhaps a
so-called 'Combined Order' would be the most appropriate?

Any comments or suggestions?

--
Ron Lowe

Old July 11th 05, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.net.providers.aaisp
Rev Adrian Kennard

Ron Lowe wrote:
[...]

Sounds like probably the best bet and minimum risk.

Any comments or suggestions?

--
Rev Adrian Kennard
Andrews & Arnold Ltd
Broadband internet, fixed IPs, VoIP equipment, FireBricks and more.
http://aa.gg/

Old July 11th 05, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.net.providers.aaisp
Alan

I had a similar problem. My phone line is on Home Highway and was rerouted
to a fairly distant exchange. Having spoken to a few people decided to get a
second line installed as my exchange was due to go broadband on 15/6/2005. I
did specify that as the line was for broadband it had to be on the local
exchange and that it was a non dacs line...BT seemed ok with these
specifications. I kep on the second line until I was sure that the broadband
connection would be ok. This was just as well as the RFS date on my local
exchange was delayed from 15/6 to 6/7and later to 20/7. These delays seem to
be increasingly common with "remote" exchanges.
Hope this helps,
Alan
"Rev Adrian Kennard" wrote in message
.. .

Old July 11th 05, 01:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.net.providers.aaisp
David

This is exactly my situation, even down to the delays at the exchange.
I've just ordered the ADSL on my current HomeHighway line - does this
mean that I'll have yet more problems?

David

Old July 11th 05, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.net.providers.aaisp
Alan

Yes I think it does because it means a visit from a BT engineer to take off
the Home Highway before they can connect ADSL.
Alan
oups.com...

Old July 11th 05, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.net.providers.aaisp
P H

"Ron Lowe" wrote in message
.. .
Hi, all.

A work colleague has the following dilemma:

He lives in a remote rural location.
The exchange is literally at the bottom of his garden, and has an RFS date
Real Soon Now, so he's looking to get ADSL installed. So far, so good.

Here's the problem.
His existing phone line does not come from that exchange.
It comes from a distant ( 10 miles++) exchange.
The reason for this is historical, perhaps due to the fact the previous
occupant had ISDN installed, and the local exchange wasn't up to it.

So, what's the solution?

I don't think a Managed Conversion will work: the BT engineer will just
look at the ADSL possibility of the existing line.

It's likely that your current phone number is correct to the distant
exchange and therefore to convert it from ISDN or Hiway to PSTN/ADSL would
mean that it is still feed from that exchange building. I beleave that BT
wouldn't allow Broadband (ADSL) to be provided over what is in effect an
"out of area" line.

I doubt BT would move the line to the local exchange 'just for the
asking'.

It's likely that the two exchanges have their own number ranges and BT
wouldn't be able to "port" your exsisting number to the local exchange. Just
like if you move house, you can only take your number with you if you are
staying within the exsisting exchange boundries.

The only solution I can suggest it for him to order a new line, to be
provisioned from the local exchange, and then cease the old one. Perhaps
a so-called 'Combined Order' would be the most appropriate?

Any comments or suggestions?

Order a new line and state that it is required for broadband. When the line
and broadband is working have the other line ceased or stopped. If required
I think you can have a message put on the line, stating the number has
changed.

de Phill H

--
Ron Lowe

Old July 11th 05, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.net.providers.aaisp
Andrew Hodgson

On 11 Jul 2005 05:25:41 -0700, "David" wrote:

This is exactly my situation, even down to the delays at the exchange.
I've just ordered the ADSL on my current HomeHighway line - does this
mean that I'll have yet more problems?

The engineer will have to come and take off the HH box and also the
card in the Exchange. We went broadband enabled on the 15th of June,
but we didn't get it until the 22nd of June. I didn't think this was
an issue, but it really depends, as I have never had a new line from
scratch being converted when the exchange is ready.

Thanks.
Andrew.
My Email: use andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org.
Old July 11th 05, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.net.providers.aaisp
kraftee

Ron Lowe wrote:
Hi, all.

A work colleague has the following dilemma:

He lives in a remote rural location.
The exchange is literally at the bottom of his garden, and has an RFS
date Real Soon Now, so he's looking to get ADSL installed. So far,
so good.
Here's the problem.
His existing phone line does not come from that exchange.
It comes from a distant ( 10 miles++) exchange.
The reason for this is historical, perhaps due to the fact the
previous occupant had ISDN installed, and the local exchange wasn't
up to it.
So, what's the solution?

I don't think a Managed Conversion will work: the BT engineer will
just look at the ADSL possibility of the existing line.

That's correct, & will be the best way to go

I doubt BT would move the line to the local exchange 'just for the
asking'.
The only solution I can suggest it for him to order a new line, to be
provisioned from the local exchange, and then cease the old one. Perhaps
a so-called 'Combined Order' would be the most appropriate?

Not a chance in hell, unless he is of the funny handshake franternity & has
contacts.

Recently had a case where 2 houses being fed from the same subpole, one from
one exchange & one from another, one could have DSL easily & the other
didn't stand a chance & the only way they eventually got it was because of
friends within their circle.

If anyboby tells you it's not who you know which matters call them a
liar....

Old July 12th 05, 07:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.net.providers.aaisp
Steve Lispcombe

"His existing phone line does not come from that exchange. It comes from a
distant ( 10 miles++) exchange."

This is often relatively simple to resolve but as most BT engineers are lazy
and overpaid bell wire boys it comes down to the luck of the draw. It's
nothing to do with funny handshakes or friends in places. All that is
required is:

1)Real line plant & a distribution point from the nearer exchange able to
serve your property (BT will not create new DP's of nearby exchanges just to
give a sub xDSL) but if there is already a DP from the new exchange that is
capable of feeding you without BT having to spend a penny then there is no
problem.

2)Cancallation of lines from the other exchange - BT do not like to have
numbers from 2 exchanges in the same cable (but I can think of places where
this happens.)

3)A BT engineer capable of spotting the first point is in order, ringing his
PSU and asking for the job to be built on the nearer exchange. Normally this
goes without a hitch but on occasions the planner may (if he/she is awake)
want to look over it. The problem is most BT engineers are unable to work
this out as they are not paid to think.

Funny thing is if you built 5 new homes in your garden and got newsites out,
they would probably route it of the nearer exchange. You just have to accept
that BT is a place where the braindead and common sense lacking individuals
go to die....