f5d7130 and wpa

Old July 11th 05, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

Default f5d7130 and wpa

I've had a belking f5d7130 wap running with 128-bit wep very happily for
a year now. I tried this weekend to switch to wpa though, and found the
wap would hang spasmodically, requiring rebooting before it would even
respond to its lan connection (the lan light didn't even flash when
addressed). I've gone back to wep and all is well again.

I've tried to install what looks like belkin's latest firmware, but the
wap just gives an unhelpful error message ("error -1" - I forget the
rest of the text) and won't install the upgrade (current is 3.00.10, I
hope I've got 4.05.03 from their web site).

Belkin haven't yet responded to a query - not that I'm hopeful, as they
didn't even read the last one properly before sending a stock answer to
the wrong question.

Any ideas please?

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old July 11th 05, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DMac

Any ideas please?

Wasn't aware of that version of software - was just going to say I think you
have the wrong
file - but found it on the Belkin site

Get same error msg as you - so probably a corrupted / incorrect file on
their website

DM

Old July 12th 05, 09:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

DMac wrote:
Any ideas please?

Wasn't aware of that version of software - was just going to say I think you
have the wrong
file - but found it on the Belkin site

Get same error msg as you - so probably a corrupted / incorrect file on
their website

My thought too. I'm still waiting for their tech support to get back to me.

Btw, the tail end of the file has some very interesting text - it's not
entirely clear it's the right file:

# NVRAM control
*belkin_router=0
restore_defaults=0
fw_reset=0
*et1phyaddr=30
*et0phyaddr=0
*boardflags=0x0208
*hw_model=F5D7231
*fw_magic=0x02023300
tftp_ipaddr=192.168.2.1
(etc, etc)

I assume the binary is some flavour of linux.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old July 13th 05, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

DMac wrote:
Any ideas please?

Wasn't aware of that version of software - was just going to say I think you
have the wrong
file - but found it on the Belkin site

Get same error msg as you - so probably a corrupted / incorrect file on
their website

Belkin did reply. Usual stuff about resetting to factory defaults
(ignored) and told to install different firmware - in fact the file
labelled on their website for n america. That loaded first time (took
ages - I thought it was stuck) and seems to fix the hanging in wpa mode.

But (of course :-( ) it still doesn't work properly. The wusb54g
client has only connected once in wpa mode, and refuses to again.
Whether that's a belkin or a linksys fault I can't say, as my other
client (a f5d7330 iirc) doesn't do wpa at all (yet; I'm reluctant to
upgrade too much at once!)

But the linksys *did* detect my network as an 'ad hoc' network once or
twice, which is wrong: it's infrastructure, and ssid b'cast suppressed.
So I assume the belkin wpa stuff is still faulty. I've asked belkin and
await their answers.

Meanwhile, has anyone used a belkin unit in wpa/psk mode? I begin to
think a bit of cat5 would have been easier........

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)