Which firewall please.

Old July 12th 05, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Which firewall please.

I am currently waiting for my line to be enabled for broadband and
wondered what firewall(s) are recommended by the group.
I have a dual boot pc with XP pro and Linux.
I mainly use Linux to go on line with my dial up connection however I
have heard that Linux and usb broadband modems (the type being sent by
my ISP) don`t seem to like each other so I might have to fall back to
my XP partition.
The odd time I use XP to go online I have the XP firewall enabled but
not sure how effective(?) that is (ie I hav`nt had any problems with it).
I plan to get a combined wireless router to use my laptop and read that
most of these have firewalls in them. Can you use the XP and router
firewalls together? is anything to be gained by doing this?
I know I stop using the usb modem when the router is installed.Should I
get that first and not bother with the modem at all?.
Reading some of the postings on this group has been a great source of
help so apologies if this post is blatantly obvious to some of you.
Cheers
Steve
Old July 12th 05, 01:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 11 Jul 2005 23:23 GMT, Steve wrote:

I plan to get a combined wireless router to use my laptop and read that
most of these have firewalls in them. Can you use the XP and router
firewalls together? is anything to be gained by doing this?

I'm sure you can, but I tend to not touch the router's setup and just use
(a) the fact that NAT (Network Address Translation) blocks most incoming, and
(b) a software firewall, in my case an old free one, but there's Kerio.com v4
firewall for Windows (which has some extras when you pay and register it, but
drops to being a reasonable firewall after 30 days use, without any payment).

A software firewall may be used to block certain types of traffic (such as if
you want to block s/w from 'calling home' for updates/advertising) while the
firewall in the router is less likely to give quite the same control. I am
aware some 'nasties' will disable a firewall if they get chance, but still
don't know if there are any router-based firewalls which are likely to spot
the traffic and block it!

I know I stop using the usb modem when the router is installed. Should I
get that first and not bother with the modem at all?.

I'd suggest keeping the USB modem in its box as the combined ADSL modem/router
should give you peace of mind and be a doddle to get working, and will keep up
the connection even if you are booting from one to other OS. Get that first!

Old July 12th 05, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Cummings

In message , poster
writes

(b) a software firewall, in my case an old free one,

Can I ask which one that is ?

I used ATGuard in the past, which I liked very much, but there are
issues with XP I believe.

Currently using Norton (came preinstalled on a new PC) but I don't
really like it, so any suggestions of a replacement appreciated.
--
Ian Cummings
Old July 12th 05, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 12 Jul 2005 18:48, Ian Cummings wrote:

Can I ask which one that is ?

Well, I'm using Tiny Software's v2.15 firewall on this PC, but on some
I have used another variant, Kerio v2.15 (not the version number!) and
while they are similar, the Kerio allows you to save the set of rules,
while the Tiny allows remote access (so with suitable port forwarding,
I can help my sister keep her son's PC 'locked down'... if she wants
some additional application (or wants me to install same!) then it's
easy for me to go into the command mode and allow unmatched rules to
cause a pop-up alert on the PC, at which point we create a new rule.

When she's not around, I disable the alerts, so no 'allow this through'
can be done by her lad. It's not going to be foolproof forever, but a
side effect of him trying things 'friends' from school have suggested.

Currently using Norton (came preinstalled on a new PC) but I don't
really like it, so any suggestions of a replacement appreciated.

http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/ may be worth a look...
If they're no longer available, my reply-to mail address should work.

Old July 12th 05, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Cummings

In message t, poster
writes
On 12 Jul 2005 18:48, Ian Cummings wrote:

Can I ask which one that is ?

Well, I'm using Tiny Software's v2.15 firewall on this PC, but on some
I have used another variant, Kerio v2.15

[...]

http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/ may be worth a look...

Many thanks.
--
Ian Cummings
Old July 13th 05, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo

"Steve" wrote in message

The odd time I use XP to go online I have the XP firewall enabled but not
sure how effective(?) that is

Putting Microsoft in charge of your PC security is like putting Gary Glitter
in charge of child welfare !

Old July 13th 05, 04:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:41:59 +0100,it is alleged that "Gizmo"
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

"Steve" wrote in message

The odd time I use XP to go online I have the XP firewall enabled but not
sure how effective(?) that is

Putting Microsoft in charge of your PC security is like putting Gary Glitter
in charge of child welfare !

*SPLORF* , now imagining a Microsoft advertising slogan "Wanna be in
my gang?"

OnTopic: I use an old version of zonealarm in conjunction with the
firewall in the router, the firewall in the router is trusted to deal
with nefarious incoming packets, ZA deals with 'do you want to allow
NastyTrojanHorseSpywareThingy.exe to access the internet?'

--
Life is like a hot bath. It feels good while you're in it, but the
longer you stay in, the more wrinkled you get.
Old July 13th 05, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Hi Chip
Which router do you use?. I want to get a wireless one soon for the laptop.
Cheers
Steve
Old July 13th 05, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 19:19:43 GMT,it is alleged that Steve
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

Hi Chip
Which router do you use?. I want to get a wireless one soon for the laptop.
Cheers
Steve

I use an eTec router, cheapo ADSL/Router combo, (The firmware and so
forth appears to be by connexant, so it's most likely just a badged
clone) but it doesn't do wireless. Many other's on this group have
more experience with wireless, but from what I have heard, various
linksys ones are considered good by many, they certainly have a
worldwide market share that's pretty enormous.

Old July 13th 05, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

I use an eTec router, cheapo ADSL/Router combo, (The firmware and so
forth appears to be by connexant, so it's most likely just a badged
clone) but it doesn't do wireless. Many other's on this group have
more experience with wireless, but from what I have heard, various
linksys ones are considered good by many, they certainly have a
worldwide market share that's pretty enormous.

Yes I`ve heard that the linksys ones are good,will have to scan the mags
cos our local PC world only stocks the Belkin,the Netgears and I think
the BT ones. I`ve heard the Netgears are pretty good and have good buil
in firewalls.
Steve