Thinking about moving from Pipex to Bulldog

Old July 12th 05, 09:45 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts-and-bargains,free.uk.internet.broadband,pipex.xtreme.discussion,pipex.xtreme.support,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Aosmosis

Default Thinking about moving from Pipex to Bulldog

Month Phone Line Rental Broadband Total / Month
Jan 10.50 0.00 10.50
Feb 10.50 17.50 28.00
Mar 10.50 17.50 28.00
Apr 10.50 17.50 28.00
May 10.50 17.50 28.00
Jun 10.50 17.50 28.00
Jul 10.50 29.50 40.00
Aug 10.50 29.50 40.00
Sep 10.50 29.50 40.00
Oct 10.50 29.50 40.00
Nov 10.50 29.50 40.00
Dec 10.50 29.50 40.00

Yearly Total 390.50
Average Total / month 32.54

Pipex/ Month 23.50
BT Line Rental 10.50

Total / Month 34.00

Yearly cost BT+Pipex 408.00

I am thinking about moving to bulldog. For 390.50 / year and an 8mb
connection compared to 408 with Pipex and BT for a 1Mb connection.
Looked at my exchange and so far its got 2mb capacity. Will bulldog upgrade
it to 8mb?

One thing that I noticed is that there is a promotion 1 connection fee
instead of 60, if I book by 15th July.

The package that I am getting is Bulldog interactive. I do not care much for
the phoneline as I use my mobile far more as its far more convenient.

Is there anything I overlooked? How good is the 8mb connection? How good is
bulldog?

Cheers

Old July 12th 05, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I've been on Bulldog for a year now - and I'm not impressed by customer
service or reliability. When it works, and 8meg connection is amazing.
But too often it does not.

And when it does not, customer services are so over run that for the
past three weeks you can't even get through to them - emails not
answers, calls (only mon-fri you understand) are just ended with an
automated message sayign to try again later.

I'm actually hoping to get Be Unlimited when they launch (apparently
August) - they'll be offering ADSL2+ up to 24 meg AND at least 1meg
UPLOAD, with the option to increase this in exchange for some download
bandwidth (presumably at cost). My line attenuation/SNR leads me to
believe I could get around 14-16 meg.

Be* will also be launching telephone and TV services at a later date -
so if you're near a central london exchange, I'd wait a month.

Marcos

Old July 12th 05, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deag

[...]

I have the 8Mb and no issues. Do not go by what your exchange says as
Bulldog is unbundled which means they do not use BT's equipment.

Old July 13th 05, 07:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
paul

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:45:19 +0100, "Aosmosis" wrote:
snip

[email protected]

To keep it simple I am looking at 20 days without internet + 60ukp for
a new isp as u cannot migrate away (no MAC) and its worth it.

CS rubbish, tech support rubbish, billing rubbish, phone rubbish. I am
getting 10K downloads on my exchange which they have addmitted has
been broken for 5 months, but they have not fixed it.

BD=rubbish.

Its a lot of pain for small saving and r u sure that pipex will not
upgrade u to 8mg when the BT MaxADSL service starts + r u sure your
line can do 8mg

Old July 13th 05, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
runlikethewind

"paul" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:45:19 +0100, "Aosmosis" wrote:
snip

in[email protected]

To keep it simple I am looking at 20 days without internet + 60ukp for
a new isp as u cannot migrate away (no MAC) and its worth it.

CS rubbish, tech support rubbish, billing rubbish, phone rubbish. I am
getting 10K downloads on my exchange which they have addmitted has
been broken for 5 months, but they have not fixed it.

BD=rubbish.

Its a lot of pain for small saving and r u sure that pipex will not
upgrade u to 8mg when the BT MaxADSL service starts + r u sure your
line can do 8mg

My 2p-

I am currently getting 5meg on bulldog. I live around 2 miles from exchange,
Service has not gone down once, support is poor though,

however I was with lueyonder from virtually day 1, they had all kind of
problems during the first 12-18 months of service, dropped connections
sometimes for hrs and days on end, email going down, etc etc. Blueyonder
support is still far from perfect, so i hope that Bulldog settles down over
the coming months.

1 was paying 35 for 2meg Blueyonder, no line rental

I am currently paying 30 for 5meg and line rental for 12 months.

Old July 13th 05, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ross

We've had Bulldog for about 6 months.

Some minor issues when we transferred the line but a post on the bulldog
activation forum soon got that sorted. No problems since. We're 5km from
the exchange so can only get 4.6 max. If you go for it take a look at your
internal phone wiring and try to run your computer / network off a bt adsl
master socket - it works wonders compared to running it off the plug in
microfilters.

Oh and bulldog's dns servers are notoriously bad. The forums have postings
on using alternatives.

Hope this helps...

Old July 14th 05, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deag

[...]

I was connected without any issues, however they seem to have got my first
bill wrong and when I tried to call them yesterday I could not even get
their customer services number to ring, everytime I dialled it it stayed
silent. I got worried as my Blueyonder was coming to an end, so today I rang
BT asking to come back and told BY not to cancel. Hopefull I will be back
with BT soon. It is a pity as if their customer services had been any good I
would have stayed, their services are generally good. What I did not want
was to be without broadband at anytime and not be able to speak to anyone.

Old July 15th 05, 11:33 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts-and-bargains,free.uk.internet.broadband,pipex.xtreme.discussion,pipex.xtreme.support,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Ninereeds

I am thinking about moving to bulldog. For 390.50 / year and an 8mb
connection compared to 408 with Pipex and BT for a 1Mb connection.
Looked at my exchange and so far its got 2mb capacity. Will bulldog
upgrade it to 8mb?

One thing that I noticed is that there is a promotion 1 connection
fee instead of 60, if I book by 15th July.

The package that I am getting is Bulldog interactive. I do not care
much for the phoneline as I use my mobile far more as its far more
convenient.

Is there anything I overlooked? How good is the 8mb connection? How
good is bulldog?

Cheers

well considering Bulldog just got hit by the ISPA over poor customer
service...... i would say, avoid like the plauge (i also know 2 people on
bulldog who are very unhappy with constant disconnects)